Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

80 Child Deaths Linked to Oregon Church, Parents Say It is a Matter of Faith

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 2:40 AM
  • 77 Replies

A church in Oregon has been linked to over 80 child deaths since 1976. Parents in the fundamental Pentecostal sect, however, claim that the kids’ deaths are just a matter of their deeply held faith.

Church of the First Born preaches that their members-even young children-should forego medical treatment and instead rely on God alone. This belief extends even to the treatment of manageable disease and chronic conditions, such as pneumonia and diabetes.

So when Syble Rossiter’s teacher told her parents that she was worried that the 12-year-old had lost a considerable amount of weight in a single month and looked in ill-health, her parents did not take her to the doctor.

Instead, they relied on the church’s teachings and prayer and watched their once-vibrant little girl wither away and die from complications of untreated diabetes.

Unbelievably, Syble’s mother, Wenona, was well aware of the risks of refusing treatment. As a young person, she watched her 7-year-old brother die from a treatable form of leukemia when her own parents refused to seek medical help.

Her brother’s death led to the both her parents being charged in his death. Wenona’s father received probation for his part in the crime. Her mother was acquitted.

That did not stop Wenona from choosing to forgo treatment for her own child when she was ill however. Now, Wenona and her husband are facing similar charges in the death of their own daughter.

Yet while the Rossiter’s decision could land them in jail in Oregon,  in some states, it is still perfectly legal for parents to deny medical care or rely on unproven faith-based methods for their child, based on their religious beliefs.

Just months after Syble’s death, the American Academy of Pediatrics urged lawmakers to consider legislation in all states that would help kids get the care they need regardless of their family’s faith or face prosecution.

“I think it’s important that all children get appropriate medical care, that state policies should be clear about the obligations to provide this care and that state monies directed toward medical care should be used for established and effective therapies,” said Dr. Armand Antommaria of the AAP.

According to Rita Swan of CHILD, Syble’s case is the exception and  in many states Syble’s parents would not have faced charges at all in their child’s death.

As a result of a lack of legislation protecting these kids, she said, “scores” of children in America are dying each year in America when help is as close as the nearest hospital.

Syble’s parents’ trial in Oregon is now underway.

Read more at http://issuehawk.com/tamar/2014/04/25/80-child-deaths-linked-to-oregon-church-parents-say-it-is-a-matter-of-faith.html#DiVkdwxjEsqjwwwB.99

by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 2:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 2:41 AM
Omg. This is tragic.
quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 2:46 AM
9 moms liked this

Honestly, I'm torn.  I think the Pentecostals are nut cases, but the Amish have a similar belief system along those lines and I wouldn't agree on imposing on them. 

Also, I'm not a fan of the government being able to force treatment on our children.  We are still the parents.  I've heard a few stories about terminally ill children who had chemo forced on them (they were terminal regardless of chemo).  I can't agree with that either.

spunknsass
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 2:51 AM
2 moms liked this

They should never have had kids if they won't even provide basic care. Sick people.

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 2:53 AM
This

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Honestly, I'm torn.  I think the Pentecostals are nut cases, but the Amish have a similar belief system along those lines and I wouldn't agree on imposing on them. 

Also, I'm not a fan of the government being able to force treatment on our children.  We are still the parents.  I've heard a few stories about terminally ill children who had chemo forced on them (they were terminal regardless of chemo).  I can't agree with that either.

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 2:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Do you believe the Amish are sick because they don't believe in "English" medical care?

Quoting spunknsass:

They should never have had kids if they won't even provide basic care. Sick people.

spunknsass
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 3:15 AM
1 mom liked this

The amish use their methods of treating illness, these guys stood by and did nothing. Big difference.

Quoting quickbooksworm: Do you believe the Amish are sick because they don't believe in "English" medical care?
Quoting spunknsass:

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 3:35 AM

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Do you believe the Amish are sick because they don't believe in "English" medical care?

It depends upon the track record of how effective the method they do use is.

If they know in advance that the method they prefer causes far more child deaths, then yes.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 5:54 AM
There, I said it. I feel better
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 5:55 AM
4 moms liked this
I'm kinda embarrassed to admit because the Amish are treated as beloved mascots in America but they really piss me off sometimes. My big problem is the entirely capricious and arbitrary imposition of a late eighteenth century lifestyle in its people as though it is somehow more godly. Why not choose to truly live biblically? Don't just say no to the penicillin which Jesus didn't have, I think you need to hand back the steel plows and the stirrups of your horses, just like Jesus didn't have as well as only wearing undyed wool. Why you trying to be all colorful dying stuff black? No, the natural dirty brown is good enough for you too.
To be honest, I realize this beef isn't with the present followers, it's with the originators who somehow decided that the way they were living at exactly that point in history was exactly as advanced as God wanted them to live technologically. I know if I read more it might make more sense but I also realize that this is religion and that's a lot to ask.

Quoting quickbooksworm: Do you believe the Amish are sick because they don't believe in "English" medical care?

Quoting spunknsass:

lga1965
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 6:00 AM
2 moms liked this
If parents won't take sick children to a Doctor and they allow them to die,it's murder. If anyone believes that God heals, they're falling victim to a deadly delusion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)