Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Sex Trade News ~ Canada

Posted by on May. 1, 2014 at 12:37 PM
  • 58 Replies

April 17, 2014 Updated: April 17, 2014 | 11:24 am  

Adjust Text Size

Oil-rig worker cuts out ‘girlfriend bulls-t' for body-rub parlours

Share this Article

Oil-rig work keeps John away from Edmonton for two to three weeks at a time. It also makes it pretty difficult for him to keep a steady girl back in the city, he says. As an alternative, the 34-year-old turns to massage parlours.

"It's hard for women to stay faithful. Every girlfriend I've had has cheated on me while I've gone to work. So basically I cut the whole girlfriend bulls-t out," he said.

Three years ago, John met Roxy (a body-rub parlour worker Metro featured in Part 1 of this series). Every three weeks, when he was back in the city, John would drop by the parlour where she works.

Related:

The two eventually became friends, so they ended the working relationship and John now visits other parlours in the city, spending about $260 to $300 an hour to "stay" with a woman.

He said it is cheaper than date night.

"By the time you take a girl out on a date just to get some a-, you're looking at spending just about the same," he said.

John said he plans to stop visiting massage parlours once he is in a steady relationship.

Editor's note: John's name has been changed to protect his identity.

Read more about the body-rub parlour industry with Metro's Massaging the law: Canada's body-rub parlours feature.

this is one of a few really interesting articles coming out of the Edmonton Metro right now.

thought?

feel free to read the comments on the article itself :-)

by on May. 1, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nonyobizniz
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 12:39 PM

BUMP!

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2014 at 12:41 PM
3 moms liked this
This post is going to rub women the wrong way
LDavis33
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2014 at 1:02 PM
3 moms liked this

Not at all surprising.  Some men are just pigs.

Just want to add that if every girlfriend "John" has ever had has cheated on him, there is obviously way more to the story than the fact that he works the oil rigs. Perhaps he's just an obnoxious, self-absorbed moron who cares more about money and sex than he does about his partners' feelings.  

I grew up in Fort McMurray, lived in Edmonton, and married an amazing man who works in the oil field (whom I have never cheated on, btw).  So I think I may have a little insight.

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on May. 1, 2014 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

being involved with someone who works on an oil rig isn't easy and its not something all woman can handle well so I say whatever floats their boat.. Woman are just as big of pigs as men so I say whats good for the goose is good for the gander too..

furbabymum
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2014 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Well I can't speak for Canada but I do know there is a booming drug and sex trade around the oil fields here in America.

LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2014 at 1:15 PM

I personally think prostitution should be totally legal. If people want to sell it and others want to buy it then between consenting adults I see no problem.

nonyobizniz
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 6:21 PM
Lol u guys should check out the comments on the story

Quoting Donna6503: This post is going to rub women the wrong way
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 1, 2014 at 6:53 PM
2 moms liked this
He sounds like a real catch.
Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2014 at 6:55 PM
3 moms liked this
Anyone who deals as a customer in the human trafficking/ sex trade is a sick bastard in my book
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2014 at 7:11 PM

You see the same pattern in boom towns built around risky industries (such as gold mining) demanding long hours in remote locations, where the men outnumber the women by 2:1 or more.

You also see increased levels of prostitution use by individuals in professions like lorry driving and being a sailor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)