Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Ellen Page talks coming out: 'Most nervous I've ever been'

Posted by on May. 2, 2014 at 9:12 AM
  • 48 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think celebrities admitting they are gay helps kids who may be struggling with their identity to be more accepting of themselves?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 53

View Results

Ellen Page talks coming out: 'Most nervous I've ever been'

By Breeanna Hare, CNN

updated 5:56 AM EDT, Fri May 2, 2014

(CNN) -- The world has changed for actress Ellen Page.  After the 27-year-old came out in a speech during a February Human Rights Campaign event, she can finally be herself. Gone are the days when she had to think carefully about how to refer to an ex in the press, and the pressure to present herself in a certain way publicly is in the past.

Attending a Vanity Fair Oscars party a few weeks following her declaration that she's a lesbian, Page felt "happy and confident," she tells Canadian fashion magazine Flare in its June issue. "The difference was huge."

But preparing to give her eight-minute speech, which was delivered on Valentine's Day, was a lengthy process that left Page feeling conflicted, she tells the magazine.

The star of the upcoming "X-Men: Days of Future Past" wanted to make her announcement in support of a cause, and worked with the HRC to coordinate it. When she took the stage at the HRC's Time to Thrive conference, held to promote issues in the gay community, she said, "I'm here today because I am gay. And because ... maybe I can make a difference."

Getting those words out was a nerve-wracking experience, Page tells Flare.

"I was very nervous," admits Page, who says she came out to her parents at 19. "You think you're in a place where you're all, 'I'm thrilled to be gay, I have no issues about being gay anymore, I don't feel shame about being gay,' but you actually do. You're just not fully aware of it. I think I still felt scared about people knowing. I felt awkward around gay people; I felt guilty for not being myself."

Yet those nerves gave way to a tidal wave of support, one that's been "remarkably positive," the actress says. "Which is beautiful, because it's indicative of the change that's happening."

The change Page is witnessing was once spearheaded by another Ellen: comedian and daytime TV personality Ellen DeGeneres.

In an upcoming episode of the talk show host's program, Page thanks DeGeneres for paving the way with her own coming out announcement in 1997.

"Your speech was incredible," DeGeneres tells Page in the episode, which is scheduled to air May 27. "I know how scary that is. ... It's a scary thing to verbalize, to say it out loud."

Page admits that she was "the most nervous I've ever been in my life," but "I was just so ready to do it, and, quite frankly, so excited to do it. ... (I'm) grateful to have that moment, and grateful to you because you did it in time when it was much harder and much scarier."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/01/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossip/ellen-page-coming-out/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

I can't even imagine the life she lead for so long.  Afraid to be herself and not feeling comfortable around others like her.  I'm glad more celebrities are coming out and letting the world know who they really are and no longer feel a need to hide it.  There's nothing to be ashamed of and the more who are out, the easier it will be for others to accept them.

by on May. 2, 2014 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RandRMomma
by Maya on May. 2, 2014 at 9:16 AM
5 moms liked this
I do. Seeing people come out, or reading stories about people coming out has helped me a lot. It helped me realize that I am not weird, and that nothing was wrong with me. I also realized that I wasn't the only one struggling with their sexuality, and struggling to come out once I accepted who I am.
Momtoone07
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 9:18 AM
2 moms liked this
You know, I think it does. It is basic human nature.. We don't want to feel as though we are alone in this world. When a celeb comes out, I think it helps the younger generation realize they are not, in fact, alone.
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2014 at 9:42 AM
6 moms liked this
Ellen Page is such a good actress. Loved her in Juno, one of my go to movies.
punky3175
by Punky on May. 2, 2014 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I STILL haven't seen that movie!

Quoting lizzielouaf: Ellen Page is such a good actress. Loved her in Juno, one of my go to movies.
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2014 at 9:46 AM
5 moms liked this

Not sure why so many feel the need to publicly come out, other then for attention.  

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on May. 2, 2014 at 9:51 AM
5 moms liked this

I can't even imagine how hard it must be for a kid to first admit it to themselves, knowing what comes next. Some can't even depend on their parents for support. So yes, having a celebrity to look to has to help.

punky3175
by Punky on May. 2, 2014 at 9:56 AM
10 moms liked this
So others, especially teens struggling with confusing emotions and desires, will know they aren't alone and those thoughts and feelings are normal and nothing to be ashamed of.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Not sure why so many feel the need to publicly come out, other then for attention.  

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on May. 2, 2014 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely I do. We can all use someone to identify with, to admire, to look up to.
..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on May. 2, 2014 at 10:17 AM
6 moms liked this
Because of people like you that think it should stay hidden. To be a positive role model for young people that feel ostracized and bullied because they are told that they are sinful and unnatural and perverted and should keep a whole part of themselves hidden away.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 2, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Yes I do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)