Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Military Recruiters in High Schools

Posted by on May. 2, 2014 at 10:12 AM
  • 306 Replies

Its that time of year again...what are your thoughts about military recruiters going into the high schools to recruit kids?

~Parenting is not a Competitive Sport~
by on May. 2, 2014 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on May. 2, 2014 at 10:13 AM
I have never seen it.
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on May. 2, 2014 at 10:14 AM
Don't care.
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2014 at 10:23 AM
It's fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
furbabymum
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2014 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm ok with it. A lot of people who join the military do it as a way to escape bad situations and to gain training/chance of further education.

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 10:30 AM
4 moms liked this

I think it's no different than having people from companies come to a job fair. It's just a way to let kids know there's more options beyond college and working for a company. 

meriana
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2014 at 10:33 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't think it should be allowed at all. I've heard what they tell the kids and it's all about a free college education, a good career, all the wonderful opportunities the military has for them. These are kids and they can/are often easily influenced by promises of good careers, college and making a good living for themselves. A class my Dd took in middle school included attending a "career" day at the high school. There were military recruiters there and my Dd asked one of them what it was like to be in a war zone. The guy told her that we fight wars differently these days, there are computers, cell phones, etc. everywhere. He literally made it sound as if she'd be just as safe in a war zone as she would be walking down the street of our very small town in the middle of the day. I was right beside her so I know what she was told and believe me it was very difficult to not tell him, "yeah that's why 18, 19 and 20 yr olds are coming home in coffins or missing one or more body parts". I kept my mouth shut but it really made me angry and I've heard more than one recruiter say much the same thing over the years. They ALL conveniently forget to tell them that they just may not survive and they don't tell them about the horrible things they'll see and be faced with in a war zone or even that they could easily end up in a war zone.

punky3175
by on May. 2, 2014 at 10:38 AM
2 moms liked this
So funny you post this today. DH works in advertising and recruiting for the National Guard and he's at a high school today for a sports event and to bring attention to the National Guard.

But even before I married him, I was OK with it. Kids need to be exposed to all of their options. College is not the only path to take.

ETA: and without the military, I wouldn't be where I am today.
punky3175
by on May. 2, 2014 at 10:40 AM
3 moms liked this
That's when it's your job as a parent to highlight the reality of it all so your child can make a truly informed decision.

Quoting meriana:

I don't think it should be allowed at all. I've heard what they tell the kids and it's all about a free college education, a good career, all the wonderful opportunities the military has for them. These are kids and they can/are often easily influenced by promises of good careers, college and making a good living for themselves. A class my Dd took in middle school included attending a "career" day at the high school. There were military recruiters there and my Dd asked one of them what it was like to be in a war zone. The guy told her that we fight wars differently these days, there are computers, cell phones, etc. everywhere. He literally made it sound as if she'd be just as safe in a war zone as she would be walking down the street of our very small town in the middle of the day. I was right beside her so I know what she was told and believe me it was very difficult to not tell him, "yeah that's why 18, 19 and 20 yr olds are coming home in coffins or missing one or more body parts". I kept my mouth shut but it really made me angry and I've heard more than one recruiter say much the same thing over the years. They ALL conveniently forget to tell them that they just may not survive and they don't tell them about the horrible things they'll see and be faced with in a war zone or even that they could easily end up in a war zone.

vlbomar
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 10:43 AM
2 moms liked this
My kids know to stay clear of them. Its nothing more than brainwashing. Id rather they join the Militia and fight for land thats theirs instead of following rich man orders to police the world. Fuck this government, they need to learn WHO pays their salaries.
jamelame
by on May. 2, 2014 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Actually the recruiters are the ones who should be giving people the reality, it's not OK for them to paint a completely false picture and expect the parents to try and contradict them.

Quoting punky3175: That's when it's your job as a parent to highlight the reality of it all so your child can make a truly informed decision.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN