Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

MAYWEATHER: ABORTION CAUSED BREAKUP, 'I'M TOTALLY AGAINST KILLING BABIES'

Posted by on May. 2, 2014 at 10:14 AM
  • 127 Replies

Was he wrong for going public with this?

link

Floyd Mayweather, who faces the heavy-handed Marcos Maidana on pay-per view Saturday night from Las Vegas, tweeted out that his recent breakup stemmed from his fiancee's abortion. The Tweet quickly coaxed a delete.

"The real reason me and Shantel Christine Jackson @missjackson broke up was because she got a abortion," the undefeated welterweight tweeted, "and I'm totally against killing babies. She killed our twin babies."

Reportedly, Jackson, who had received a $10 million engagement ring from the fighter,initially told Mayweather she had miscarried. Since the breakup last year, she has moved on to a relationship with the rapper Nelly. 

The publicizing of such private information, and the pro-life pronouncement, quickly elicited online outrage.

"Mayweather posting that announcement (basically called her a baby killer) plus ultrasound photos on FB is abusive behavior," Sports on Earth writer Jessica Luther tweeted. She labeled Money Mayweather and his online followers "anti-choicers." Another writer sees the Tweet as a potential disqualification for buying the Clippers, an idea the sports world's highest-paid athlete floated earlier this week. "Reminder that Floyd Mayweather is interested in owning the Los Angeles Clippers," Michael Katz wrote at SB Nation. "That seems like a bad idea."

Clippers guard J.J. Redick and Houston Texans running back Arian Foster recently weathered accusations that they pressured girlfriends to abort their unborn children. Mayweather, who certainly can afford an expanding brood, appears as the rare athlete baby-daddy welcoming offspring instead of hiring a medical hit man to exterminate them.

Somehow this makes him a horrible person. Beam me up, Scotty!

~Parenting is not a Competitive Sport~
by on May. 2, 2014 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4evrinbluejeans
by KK on May. 2, 2014 at 10:20 AM
13 moms liked this

While I'm a firm believer in keeping private relationships private, the reality is that the abortion happened to him as well and he certainly can decide to talk about it if he wants to air his private business.  

While women certainly have the right to choose they certainly cannot expect complete anonymity when they share the information with others.   I'm sure there will be many that disagree with me on this, but I do believe all our decisions have consequences.  

Mommabearbergh
by on May. 2, 2014 at 10:23 AM
9 moms liked this

But he isn't against beating the shit out of your childrens mother in front of them mmmmhmmmm.....yeah this guy is a dick and I personally have no issue with her doing what she did because most women would have taken then beatings...like his wife and got him for child support.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 2, 2014 at 10:26 AM
4 moms liked this

Ok I need more coffee. I thought the title meant that May weather caused an abortion and break up. I was like wtf? ,That is new.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on May. 2, 2014 at 10:27 AM

he is a wife beater?  (I admit I don't follow boxing at all)  

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

But he isn't against beating the shit out of your childrens mother in front of them mmmmhmmmm.....yeah this guy is a dick and I personally have no issue with her doing what she did because most women would have taken then beatings...like his wife and got him for child support.

HaYouFail
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Legally, yes. I'm sure it's probably illegal to share medical papers without someone's consent.

Morally, I am fine with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommabearbergh
by on May. 2, 2014 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

n Saturday night one of the world’s best boxers Floyd Mayweather proved his prowess in front of a packed audience, many of whom had paid thousands of dollars for the privilege of watching one of the greats at the glitzy MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

In the first fight after a year’s absence, Mayweather retained his World Boxing Council welterweight title and comfortably extended his unbeaten record to 44 victories.

The press unanimously praised his talents in the ring, saying he had delivered a ‘masterclass’ against his opponent Robert Guerrero.

It was a much more private affair on the evening of September 9, 2010, when this time, his ex-girlfriend was on the receiving end of his aggression.

Mayweather attacked Josie Harris, and threatened to make her "disappear" in front of her two children.

He agreed to a plea deal which allowed him to avoid a trial and a possible 34 years in jail if he had been found guilty of more serious charges.

Mayweather admitted he was guilty of domestic violence and was sent to jail for three months, for what was a serious crime.

Yet it isn’t hard to find evidence to suggest that it wasn’t seen as such.

Mayweather’s primary concern in serving his sentence appeared to be that he would miss a lucrative bout, against Miguel Cotto.

So, rather remarkably, the judge agreed to delay his jail time, allowing him to fight.

The judge sided with Mayweather’s reasoning – that the fight would provide an economic boost to Las Vegas.

He won against Cotto for which he earned roughly $32 million (£20 million)

Eventually Mayweather served his time at his own convenience – though not without complaint.

He requested to be released early because the low-quality food and water apparently threatened his health.

Mayweather has never, publicly, shown any remorse for his actions, despite entering a guilty plea.

At a press conference last week he said only that jail time had allowed him to relish his freedom.

Harris, meanwhile, was telling an American publication what Mayweather had allegedly done to her.

"Did he beat me to a pulp? No, but I had bruises on my body and contusions and [a] concussion because the hits were to the back of my head. I believe it was planned to do that … because the bruises don't show …"

She said she feared she would die. “He could have hit me in the head in the wrong place. … I could have died. He would've been on murder charges.”

Without a trial there is no way of knowing for sure what Mayweather’s actions were towards Harris.

However on his return to boxing following the jail spell, this wasn’t the question on everyone’s lips.

Mayweather’s time out from the sport was generally viewed as a mere ‘distraction’ to his burgeoning career.

When Robert Guerrero’s father referred to Mayweather a "woman-beater" it was seen, somewhat negatively, as an attempt to get publicity for Guerrero and ratchet up the suspense, a common tactic in press conferences that precede a major fight.

When Mayweather won his fight there was almost a palpable sense of relief that prison had not dulled Mayweather’s brilliance.

One journalist summed up the general view“After spending two months in jail and a year out of the ring, he returned with a performance that was vintage Mayweather.”

Said another. “Floyd Mayweather Jnr came out of prison to elevate boxing to an art.”

The message from this is clear: Mayweather could abuse his partner and come back stronger. He was still a champion.

He may have done his time, yet his unwillingness to admit he has done anything wrong suggests that he himself did not consider the crime a significant one.

The stance taken by the World Boxing Council could hardly be considered tough on Mayweather.

He was allowed the chance to defend his title on his release from jail.

But this was nothing compared to the comments uttered by Council president Jose Sulaiman.

He was quoted as saying, "beating a lady is highly critical, [but] it is not a major sin or crime.”

Sulaiman later released a statement saying that he could not find "the right words" in English to say what he really meant. But he added: “In my comments, I just meant to say that I have always been in the corner of all the boxers of the world. They are my greatest heroes and, good or bad, I will always be in their corner."

Domestic abuse convictions are at an all-time high in the UK, although the proportion of cases where the Crown Prosecution Service took no further action remains consistent.

In the UK there were 70,702 cases of domestic violence last year. It is a common, serious crime, and should have serious consequences.

Yet with Mayweather, domestic abuse was considered a mere inconvenience in an otherwise faultless career.

Instead of being condemned he was supported; by his fans, the judiciary system, the WBC and the media. How is this acceptable?

motherslove82
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2014 at 10:32 AM
2 moms liked this
She ended a pregnancy and then lied to him without giving a shit about his feelings, but when he complains about it he's abusive. Got it.
Mommabearbergh
by on May. 2, 2014 at 10:34 AM
5 moms liked this

going to prison 90 days for whooping someones ass in front of their children makes you a abuser.

Quoting motherslove82: She ended a pregnancy and then lied to him without giving a shot about his feelings, but when he complains about it he's abusive. Got it.

motherslove82
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2014 at 10:36 AM
But that wasn't what the article was referring to.

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

going to prison 90 days for whooping someones ass in front of their children makes you a abuser.

Quoting motherslove82: She ended a pregnancy and then lied to him without giving a shot about his feelings, but when he complains about it he's abusive. Got it.

jamelame
by on May. 2, 2014 at 10:36 AM
6 moms liked this

Is he entitled to be angry? Sure.

Is he an asshole for airing his dirty laundy in public? Yes, totally and completely. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN