Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Disabilities and ACA and other options? Requesting ideas

Posted by on May. 2, 2014 at 4:34 PM
  • 21 Replies

In the wake of the ACA, but even beyond that when Humana came into play, we have left many Americans both unable to work but also unable to qualify for disability, yet further unable to afford the high cost of life saving medication.

So my question is: Are there any alternatives for this group who have fallen through the cracks?

This is not so much a debate over ACA as a reality I am trying to help a few people overcome. So I would greatly appreciate any direction toward alternatives for medication. 

To give a for instance: (1)The SSA has determined that have juvenile diabetes no matter if the condition makes you unable to hold a job despite being under control is not considered a disability. The reason a person would not be able to hold a job while having it under control is that even under control the conditions can make you very tired and unable to preform a minimal levels in many fields. (2) Having a poor working memory that has not shown progress despite intervention and tests at an IQ level of 54 is not deemed a disability although the ability to hold a job with such might be impossible. 

Further if the person cannot afford medication, which with both conditions can be exceedingly high, what possible hope do they have to be able to work?

So what are options to afford such people their medication? While there are sliding scales to see doctors at this time, I am not seeing anything with many medications. It would seem that in order to limit the burden on society and further the self sufficient abilities of such people that there would be some sort of program. 

by on May. 2, 2014 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
numbr1wmn
by Nikki on May. 2, 2014 at 4:41 PM

ACA was NOT designed to help those who really need it.

stormcris
by Christy on May. 2, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Yet, people have to find other options and I am wondering if they are out there.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

ACA was NOT designed to help those who really need it.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2014 at 5:10 PM
What about contacting the drug company itself? I see on commercials where they say 'if you cannot afford your drugs contact ______ and we may be able to help.'

Generic rather than name brand to help lower costs?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ladyvamp5489
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Some drug companies will help out, also the $4 rx list at walmart

JTROX
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2014 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this

If they aren't working why don't they qualify for medicaid?  Wasn't that expanded in many states with the ACA?

stormcris
by Christy on May. 2, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Some drugs they do that. 

Quoting canadianmom1974: What about contacting the drug company itself? I see on commercials where they say 'if you cannot afford your drugs contact ______ and we may be able to help.' Generic rather than name brand to help lower costs?

stormcris
by Christy on May. 2, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I just looked over the list. It seems it would help with metaformin but not insulin. At least that is a plus.

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

stormcris
by Christy on May. 2, 2014 at 5:27 PM

In Georgia a single person does not qualify without working and with working only if they make less than $350.00/month. Well really any adult has to make under that even with kids. They had it expanded at one time but dropped the expansion.

Quoting JTROX:

If they aren't working why don't they qualify for medicaid?  Wasn't that expanded in many states with the ACA?

ladyvamp5489
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Do you have a fred meyers or krogers, they have a bigger $4 list than walmart

Quoting stormcris:

I just looked over the list. It seems it would help with metaformin but not insulin. At least that is a plus.

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

stormcris
by Christy on May. 2, 2014 at 5:33 PM

We don't have one in this area.

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

Do you have a fred meyers or krogers, they have a bigger $4 list than walmart

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN