Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Detroit teacher fired after breaking up fight with broom.

Posted by on May. 6, 2014 at 12:47 PM
  • 71 Replies

Quote:

Detroit teacher fired after breaking up fight with broom

Posted: May 05, 2014 4:50 PM PDTUpdated: May 05, 2014 7:45 PM PDT
DETROIT (WJBK) -A Detroit teacher has been fired after a cell phone video surfaced of her breaking up a fight between two students with a broom.

In the video, the two male students are fighting for at least half a minute before the teacher intervenes. Several students can be seen standing by as the two fight, knocking over desks. 

When the teacher does intervene, she appears to strike one of the students on the back with a broom multiple times. The student backs off, but then the other student runs back towards him and the fight continues. 

The fight finally appears to end up when a student steps in and pulls the two apart. The video ends moments later.

Now, the Pershing High School teacher is out of a job as the school district says it does not tolerate child abuse.

Pershing is part of the Education Achievement Authority, the state's school turnaround district. The EAA district does not have a union so the teacher has no ground to file an appeal. 

Keith Johnson, President of the Detroit Federation of Teachers, tells FOX 2's Maurielle Lue he believes the teacher was wrong for using a broom, although he understands her motive. "Unfortunately, the method that she used, in terms of swatting one with a broom, is a violation of the corporal punishment provision under the Michigan school code. But she's caught in a quandary because under that same code she's expected to do what is necessary to diffuse a situation," he says. 

A representative from Pershing's communication's office says teachers were instructed during orientation to call for security on a walkie talkie during such situations. FOX 2 has learned this teacher's walkie talkie wasn't working. 

Kiren Lowery, one of the students admittedly fighting in the cell phone video, says the fired teacher was one of his favorites but that he does not feel responsible for her termination. He thinks she should have waited for security to come. 

Click on the video player above to hear more from the student and his mother in Lue's report. 

He and the other student fighting were suspended for 10 days. 

Read more: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/25435501/detroit-teacher-fired-after-breaking-up-fight-with-broom#ixzz30xFzD3TO

This makes me so angry.  

Watch the entire video, please.  Then read up on it. 

This kid is certainly not on the road to learning personal responsibility.

She could face child abuse charges.  Yet those kids will be back in school fighting in ten days.

They did not equip her properly yet expect her to be able to break up fights.

Just pisses me off.

by on May. 6, 2014 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Karmahappens
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2014 at 12:53 PM
8 moms liked this

I think, that in light of the fact that her walkie talkie was non functioning and that the students were both bigger and stronger than she is that she should merely face the same punishment as they did-suspension for 10 days.

erika9009
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2014 at 1:05 PM
3 moms liked this

She can't call the police either.  I have read it takes them 60 min to respond to 911 calls.

A lot of time people improvise in difficult situations.  Now, if she had done nothing because her radio was broken and one of kids was seriously hurt of killed, she'd still be in trouble.

Teachers sure get the raw end of the deal  a lot of the time.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 6, 2014 at 1:07 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting erika9009:

She can't call the police either.  I have read it takes them 60 min to respond to 911 calls.

A lot of time people improvise in difficult situations.  Now, if she had done nothing because her radio was broken and one of kids was seriously hurt of killed, she'd still be in trouble.

You bring up a good point.  Had she just let them go at it and one was seriously injured, she would have been fired as well.

The mother, in the video, attempting to show the damage done to her son by that broom............wow.  There was nothing there and she even kept saying 'this is where it was'.  

That kid will never understand his actions were wrong.  Great parenting going on there. *sigh*  Put the focus on the teacher and he will continue to do as he does and think nothing of it.  

Mommabearbergh
by on May. 6, 2014 at 1:11 PM

She should have been equipped with training on how to stop the situation and she shouldn't be fired. She did what she had to so that they wouldn't harm others and seeing how the kids were fighting they didn't feel that damn broom because the adrenaline was pumping.  This whole situation needs to be re evaluated

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 6, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

She should have been equipped with training on how to stop the situation and she shouldn't be fired. She did what she had to so that they wouldn't harm others and seeing how the kids were fighting they didn't feel that damn broom because the adrenaline was pumping.  This whole situation needs to be re evaluated

I agree but is seems she has been told she has no recourse.

I would be talking with a lawyer to determine if this is true or not.

The school failed her in not providing the proper equipment and they failed those kids by showing them their actions meant nothing compared to hers.

lga1965
by on May. 6, 2014 at 1:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Back in the 50's, when I was a sophomore, in English class, a boy who was quite big and tall and hostile was smarting off to our teacher. She was about 5 ft 4 inches and used crutches because she had been partially paralyzed by polio . She asked him to sit and be quiet. He wouldn't apologize or sit down so she smacked the kid with one of her crutches > He was shocked and  he was never hostile or raised his voice again the rest of the school year.

If she did that NOW, she would probably be fired or suspended for a while. I was proud of her . She got the results she wanted. The kid behaved.

People just can't understand what it is like being a teacher and bullies are usually trained to be a bully by their parents who always blame teachers for everything.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 6, 2014 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lga1965:

Back in the 50's, when I was a sophomore, in English class, a boy who was quite big and tall and hostile was smarting off to our teacher. She was about 5 ft 4 inches and used cructhes becase she had been partially paralyzed by polio . He wouldn't apologize or sit down so she smacked the kid with one of her crutches > He was shocked and  he was never hostile or raised his voice again the rest of the school year.

If she did that NOW, she would probably be fired or suspended for a while. I was proud of her . She got the results she wanted. The kid behaved.

People just can't understand what it is like being a teacher and bullies are usually trained to be a bully by their parents who always blame teachers for everything.

I don't agree with corporal punishment in the classroom.  A teacher touches my kiddo he/she is going to have me down on them in a flash.

This situation is not the same as corporal punishment.  The teacher was trying to break up a fight.  She was not out to hit the student to keep them complacent or make an attempt to teach them discipline.

The thought that her actions were in line with corporal punishment is what is wrong here.  

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2014 at 2:18 PM
2 moms liked this

60 min? Maybe on a good day. I'm not joking at all.

Ambulance...hours. I can think of 3 instances in the last year where someone died while waiting for an ambulance. And one where a body laid in a front yard for 12 hours between when the person died and when the coroner arrived to retrieve it.

Quoting erika9009:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on May. 6, 2014 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Kids fighting each other is not new

Beating a teenager on the back with a broom isn't aceptab;e

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on May. 6, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting lga1965:

Back in the 50's, when I was a sophomore, in English class, a boy who was quite big and tall and hostile was smarting off to our teacher. She was about 5 ft 4 inches and used cructhes becase she had been partially paralyzed by polio . He wouldn't apologize or sit down so she smacked the kid with one of her crutches > He was shocked and  he was never hostile or raised his voice again the rest of the school year.

I don't agree with corporal punishment in the classroom.  A teacher touches my kiddo he/she is going to have me down on them in a flash.

This situation is not the same as corporal punishment.  The teacher was trying to break up a fight.  She was not out to hit the student to keep them complacent or make an attempt to teach them discipline.

The thought that her actions were in line with corporal punishment is what is wrong here.  

Hitting him with a broom was wrong and could escalate the situation further.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)