Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Can you believe what my public schooled, common cored daughter told me?!

Posted by on May. 10, 2014 at 7:35 AM
  • 87 Replies
14 moms liked this
She wants to be an astrophysicist.
The school is having a science fair (damn common core) and she's doing a project with spectroscopy. I had to talk her down from wanting to do something with dark matter.
ETA: she's in sixth grade
2nd ETA: before I get too many more questions about how common core applies to the science fair: it doesn't, which was my point; I blame my public school education for my failure to successfully apply the hyperbole I was aiming for...
by on May. 10, 2014 at 7:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LokisMama
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2014 at 7:38 AM

What grade is she in?

My 1st grader very rarely does science at all because they just "don't have time" (in the words of his teacher)

funny_girl3
by Member on May. 10, 2014 at 7:40 AM

Lol!  Good for her!  My son is interested in science too (I blame the Mythbusters), but at this point in his life he's pretty much video game obsessed.

I don't know why so many people rail against common core.  I welcome government involvement in my child's education and I wonder why it took the American education system so long to become standardized.

stringtheory
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2014 at 7:42 AM
She's in sixth grade. That's too bad about your 1st grader :( First graders are ideal scientists!

Quoting LokisMama:

What grade is she in?

My 1st grader very rarely does science at all because they just "don't have time" (in the words of his teacher)

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on May. 10, 2014 at 7:43 AM
2 moms liked this
My daughter (12) has fallen in love with science this year and says she may want a career in that field

I told her women get highly recruited if that is their major and career aspiration because there are less women in that field

Love it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LokisMama
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2014 at 7:44 AM

Yeah.

We put him in the mad scientist's club in K last year and he adored it. It was a 6 week afte school thing, but he still had a blast.

I dislike his current school. 

Quoting stringtheory: She's in sixth grade. That's too bad about your 1st grader :( First graders are ideal scientists!
Quoting LokisMama:

What grade is she in?

stringtheory
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2014 at 7:50 AM
Nice, my daughter's old elementary school had a mad scientist club after school for a couple years. Her middle school now has a planetarium they go to a few times a year.

Quoting LokisMama:

Yeah.

We put him in the mad scientist's club in K last year and he adored it. It was a 6 week afte school thing, but he still had a blast.

I dislike his current school. 

Quoting stringtheory: She's in sixth grade. That's too bad about your 1st grader :( First graders are ideal scientists!

Quoting LokisMama:

What grade is she in?

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2014 at 7:52 AM
6 moms liked this

Hold on a minute--do you mean to tell me that Common Core has not turned your daughter into an incurious drone?  

Blasphemy!  

Also congrats to your daughter for her interest in a stellar (heh heh) career!  

stringtheory
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2014 at 7:55 AM
3 moms liked this
I understand being skeptical, but I was relieved that when we moved across country, she had a seamless adjustment in math. Her new school basically picked up right where she left off - extremely important for math. As someone who switched schools.several times as a kid, I know that hasn't usually been the case.

Quoting funny_girl3:

Lol!  Good for her!  My son is interested in science too (I blame the Mythbusters), but at this point in his life he's pretty much video game obsessed.

I don't know why so many people rail against common core.  I welcome government involvement in my child's education and I wonder why it took the American education system so long to become standardized.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2014 at 8:04 AM
21 moms liked this

My son goes to a private school for gifted kids and a few weeks ago he told me he'd like to be one of the guys who brings the carts back into the store.

booaura
by on May. 10, 2014 at 8:08 AM
Yay for her!! I don't have a problem with common core, but public schools here won't let our oldest start kindergarten for a mother year, and he's ready and wants to go. So private school it is.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN