Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why can't I criticize your religion?

Posted by on May. 11, 2014 at 11:02 AM
  • 593 Replies
44 moms liked this

I wonder why people think religion, a manmade construct used to try to make sense of the world, is off limits regarding criticism.

So many religious people think its insulting.  I don't understand this, I truly don't.

Isn't questioning a good thing?  Isn't blind faith a bad thing?  How can one take comfort from that which they aren't allowed to question?

by on May. 11, 2014 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2014 at 11:05 AM
35 moms liked this
Good point.

I am a Christian and it doesn't bother me in the least to see people question or even make fun of or revile Christianity. My faith is my own and it's personal. Has nothing to do with other peoples opinions or questions or even hatred.

Dialogue and openness are important.
idunno1234
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2014 at 11:09 AM
18 moms liked this

Honestly, up until not that long ago in my considerable years, I wouldn't have considered it.  I was always taught it was off limits.  Then I started thinking how odd that is.

People are proclaiming things as truths, have disdained people, shunned them, tortured them and killed them over these "truths",   People presume to speak for God.....and yet we aren't allowed to question it??

Personally, I don't understand blind faith.  Its just not how my mind works.

Thank God :)

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2014 at 11:18 AM
6 moms liked this

Some people equate respect for one's right to follow a religion to respect for the beliefs of that religion.  Some people equate disrespect of their religion's beliefs with disrespect for them personally.  

IMO, this is why such questioning may be perceived as suppressive or personal.   

FlowerGirl777
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2014 at 11:18 AM
4 moms liked this

i don't like it when people casually disparage others beliefs or cosmologies. 

its like "i used to be X, now i am Y. X's are stupid."  That bugs me. Other than that, religions are fascinating. The older the better. 

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on May. 11, 2014 at 11:24 AM
33 moms liked this
I think there's a big difference between questioning a religion and condemning the believers of a religion.

Iconoclast
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2014 at 11:25 AM
13 moms liked this
A lot of religions teach people to not question what they are taught (i was taught this). It helps to better control the flock.
People question now more than ever but feel wrong for doing so. Questioning religion equals questioning God (for some) although it really equals questioning man and their own interpretations off their beliefs.
Think about what are considered taboo subjects to speak about with friends and in polite company, religion and politics. Makes for less questioning and easy brain washing, good sheep.
Sharbear42371
by Member on May. 11, 2014 at 11:27 AM
17 moms liked this

To question and to criticize is different all together.  

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on May. 11, 2014 at 11:30 AM
3 moms liked this

It may be insulting but that doesn't mean you can't do it.  You just may get blowback for it.  If you expect to criticize without negative feedback you may have to ask yourself why you expect an accepting audience.  

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2014 at 11:30 AM
11 moms liked this
Honestly I think right now it is more a matter of why can one criticize some religions while others are off limits. I am pagan so I do not have a dog in the following fight but it does offten appear that criticizing Islam earns the moniker "Islamophobe", handed out by many of the same people who are fine with criticizing Christianity. I think ALL religions should be open to criticism and questioning so long as the individuals who practice those religioms are not being attacked or disrespected. But again, it has to be okay to question and criticize ALL of them. Additionally, the questioner/critiquer should be open to learning new info about the religion they are addressing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
survivorinohio
by René on May. 11, 2014 at 11:34 AM
10 moms liked this

Critical questions are ok with me, even criticism as in I dont like/believe etc that is ok but ridicule is not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)