Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What are your thoughts on Hashtag Diplomacy

Posted by on May. 11, 2014 at 4:55 PM
  • 72 Replies

U.S. needs tougher foreign policy than ‘hashtags and selfies’

House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers argued Sunday that the Obama administration needs to take a tougher approach to foreign policy than tracking online trends and hashtag diplomacy.

The Michigan Republican criticized the administration for not designating Boko Haram a terrorist organization years ago. The Islamist militant group is responsible for abducting at least 276 schoolgirls from the northeastern Nigerian village of Chibok last month.

The kidnapping prompted a global reaction on social media, particularly Twitter, where the hashtag #BringBackOurGirls was born. First lady Michelle Obama even tweeted a photo of herself holding a sign with the hashtag.

“You can’t base your policy on what’s trending on Twitter,” Mr. Rogers said on CBS’ “Face the Nation.”

“It has to be more than hashtags and selfies,” he said, as reported by Politico.

Mr. Rogers cited a “new ecosystem of terrorism” that will take “a robust, holistic approach to what is radicalism and extremism popping up all over.”

“Can we help with the girls? I think we can and we should and we must,” he said. But “we also have to worry about the women of Afghanistan — some 11 million. We’re getting ready to walk away from them. In Syria, we have 12 million women who are under siege.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/may/11/rep-rogers-us-needs-tougher-foreign-policy-hashtag/#ixzz31RVOkZN2 

by on May. 11, 2014 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jcrew6
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2014 at 4:56 PM

From April

#ThatsCold! Russians, US in Hashtag Battle

Apr 25, 2014 12:54pm

A tweet by State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki Thursday night sparked snarky Twitter responses about the diplomacy of a hashtag – but the tweet really is more evidence of a brewing social media Cold War between the U.S. and Russia.

Psaki was responding to the Russian Foreign ministry hijacking the State Department’s #UnitedForUkraine campaign by posting its own version of events while using the hashtag.

#UnitedForUkraine isn’t the only hashtag to be reappropriated by Russia. In the last few weeks, State’s #RussiaIsolated hashtag regarding Russia’s actions in Crimea sparked a series of tweets from Russian embassies around the world mocking the campaign by tweeting positive messages about Russia and including #russiaisolated.

Pro-Russian groups have also started a series of parody accounts, such as @russiaisolator. And pro-Russian social media troll Psaki and state’s @ukrprogress accounts, immediately posting critical and sometimes crude tweets in response.

State has admitted it is playing catch-up to Russia on social media propaganda, with the undersecretary for public diplomacy, Rick Stengel, a former journalist, telling CNN that Russia’s been building up its social media presence for the last 10 years.

In response, the U.S. has started the New Ukraine Task Force, a social media hub in Russian to talk to Russian speakers in Eastern Ukraine and in Central Europe, who State says are being bombarded by Russian media.

The campaign is also spearheading the English posts and hashtags that are trying to help counter the influence in greater Europe of RT, the Russian government-owned television station formally called Russia Today that is distributed around the world, including the United States. Secretary of State John Kerry called the channel a “propaganda bullhorn” Thursday. RT denies the accusation and formally called for an apology today.

However, with RT’s reach of 85 million households around the world and no regulations as to how the Kremlin is allowed to influence Russian media, the U.S. government faces challenges in matching Russia’s media reach without violating U.S. freedom of press laws and values.

jcrew6
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Does hashtag diplomacy work?

http://news.yahoo.com/video/does-hashtag-diplomacy-214814730.html

Members of the political class join celebrities in raising awareness for kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls

funny_girl3
by Member on May. 11, 2014 at 5:00 PM
2 moms liked this
I think Mr Rogers is full of it. Since when do Republicans care about women's rights issues?
jcrew6
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2014 at 5:02 PM

The State Department’s Ridiculous Hashtag Diplomacy

Facepalm
For reasons that probably seemed good when they talked it over at a strategy meeting, the State Department’s press office decided to take to Twitter:

As Russian troops amass along the Ukraine border and take over military facilities in the Crimea region, the United States has distanced itself from any boots-on-the-ground intervention.

The U.S. won’t send troops or weapons, but it will send hashtags.

While Congress approved an aid package for Ukraine and sanctions against Russia this week, the State Department pushed a Twitter campaign under the hashtag #UnitedForUkraine, which calls on people to share their support for the country.

President Obama had great success using social media during his campaigning days, but does that same mindset work for foreign affairs?

“I don’t know what effect this is supposed to have,” said former State Department diplomat James Lewis. “It’s a hashtag. What’s it going to do? For this situation, it’s not a useful tool.”

It started with this tweet a month ago from State Department Spokesperson Jenn Psaki:

Then, this being Twitter, the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs decided a little highjacking was in order:

So, Psaki came back with this.

Ah yes, the power of hashtag.

Seriously, who put these people in charge?

jcrew6
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2014 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

You need to expand your thinking skills beyond talking points.  Perhaps you are the perfect target market for hashtag politics.  

Quoting funny_girl3: I think Mr Rogers is full of it. Since when do Republicans care about women's rights issues?

jcrew6
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2014 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Also, is putting a hastag in front of a controversial title with a selfie the way we want our leaders and those they are associated with handling tough issues? 

Quoting funny_girl3: I think Mr Rogers is full of it. Since when do Republicans care about women's rights issues?

funny_girl3
by Member on May. 11, 2014 at 5:15 PM
Well bless your heart! Thanks, but I don't tweet. I personally feel that we are too involved in foreign politics, so I am more comfortable with the current president's stance on foreign policy than I was with the last guy. The republican talking head's weak attempt to pretend like he cared about what was happening to women in other parts of the world was the only negative thing that stood out for me in the op.

Quoting jcrew6:

You need to expand your thinking skills beyond talking points.  Perhaps you are the perfect target market for hashtag politics.  

jcrew6
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2014 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this

The Current President's stance is Floundering.  He doesn't stand firm, speak firm, or act with authority.  His words have routinely not equated to the actions (or inaction) taken by our government.  If you are comfortable with a crumbling foreign policy, then good on ya.  

"To brush aside America’s responsibility as a leader and — more profoundly — our responsibilities to our fellow human beings under such circumstances would have been a betrayal of who we are,” Obama said. “Some nations may be able to turn a blind eye to atrocities in other countries. The United States of America is different.”

In the same month, Syria’s civil war began in the small southern border city of Daraa, where government forces moved violently to end weeks of protest. More than 140,000 Syrians have been killed since then in a country Obama acknowledged last week is “crumbling.”

Quoting funny_girl3: Well bless your heart! Thanks, but I don't tweet. I personally feel that we are too involved in foreign politics, so I am more comfortable with the current president's stance on foreign policy than I was with the last guy. The republican talking head's weak attempt to pretend like he cared about what was happening to women in other parts of the world was the only negative thing that stood out for me in the op.
Quoting jcrew6:

funny_girl3
by Member on May. 11, 2014 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Great, let's step back and let the UN do what it was intended to. You conservatives are always complaining about our defecit, think how much money we'd save if we could mind our own business. Our military costs a ridiculous amount of money, and our soldiers are stationed at American bases all over the world; I don't have any figures for exactly how much money it costs to operate all those foreign bases, but I know it's expensive.

Quoting jcrew6:

The Current President's stance is Floundering.  He doesn't stand firm, speak firm, or act with authority.  His words have routinely not equated to the actions (or inaction) taken by our government.  If you are comfortable with a crumbling foreign policy, then good on ya.  

"To brush aside America’s responsibility as a leader and — more profoundly — our responsibilities to our fellow human beings under such circumstances would have been a betrayal of who we are,” Obama said. “Some nations may be able to turn a blind eye to atrocities in other countries. The United States of America is different.”

In the same month, Syria’s civil war began in the small southern border city of Daraa, where government forces moved violently to end weeks of protest. More than 140,000 Syrians have been killed since then in a country Obama acknowledged last week is “crumbling.”

Quoting funny_girl3: Well bless your heart! Thanks, but I don't tweet. I personally feel that we are too involved in foreign politics, so I am more comfortable with the current president's stance on foreign policy than I was with the last guy. The republican talking head's weak attempt to pretend like he cared about what was happening to women in other parts of the world was the only negative thing that stood out for me in the op.

Quoting jcrew6:

jcrew6
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Why are you jumping to military action as the only solution?  

Quoting funny_girl3: Great, let's step back and let the UN do what it was intended to. You conservatives are always complaining about our defecit, think how much money we'd save if we could mind our own business. Our military costs a ridiculous amount of money, and our soldiers are stationed at American bases all over the world; I don't have any figures for exactly how much money it costs to operate all those foreign bases, but I know it's expensive.
Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting jcrew6:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)