Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Charles Barkley Hates Fat Women?

Posted by on May. 11, 2014 at 7:31 PM
  • 122 Replies

The statements are not sitting well with the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance which is now calling for Chuck to apologize, ASAP. 

"Making slurs about body size is just as offensive as making comments about body color," spokesperson Peggy Howell tells TMZ Sports. 

"One would think being a black man, he'd be more sensitive to having his physical body criticized. It's totally out of line. He should absolutely apologize."

The President of the Obesity Action Coalition has also issued a statement expressing "extreme disappointment" with Charles.

"As a former NBA player and sports entertainment figure, Mr. Barkley should encourage equality and respect among society and not look to shame or segment one population because of their size."

"Obesity is a serious medical condition and not a joking matter."

We reached out to Charles for comment -- so far, no word back. 

http://tracking.si.com/2014/05/07/charles-barkley-obesity-groups-fat-san-antonio-nba/

http://www.tmz.com/2014/05/07/charles-barkley-fat-groups-furious-over-anti-obese-comments/

by on May. 11, 2014 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jcrew6
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2014 at 7:33 PM

The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance is calling upon Charles Barkley to apologize for comments he made on Tuesday night about overweight women during a national broadcast of the show, NBA on TNT.

The 51-year-old, a commentator on the program with co-hosts Shaquille O’Neal, Kenny “The Jet” Smith and Ernie Johnson, made a number of remarks about the city of San Antonio on Tuesday — comments that several “fat acceptance”groups including the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance have since criticized.

Among the comments he made include his belief that the city is a “gold mine for weight-watchers,” that there are “some big ol’ women down there”and “Victoria is definitely a secret [in San Antonio] … they can’t wear no Victoria’s Secret down there.”

Peggy Howell, a spokesperson for the NAAFA, said his comments were as hurtful as any insult about one’s body color, and as an African-American, he should know better, she said according to TMZ:

“Making slurs about body size is just as offensive as making comments about body color…One would think being a black man, he’d be more sensitive to having his physical body criticized. It’s totally out of line. He should absolutely apologize.”

The President of the Obesity Action Coalition also chimed in, according to the report, calling Barkley’s comments on Tuesday evening an “extreme disappointment.” 

“As a former NBA player and sports entertainment figure, Mr. Barkley should encourage equality and respect among society and not look to shame or segment one population because of their size…Obesity is a serious medical condition and not a joking matter.”

Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 11, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Well, CB has lost much weight in recent times. 

He is correct in that obesity is directly linked to serious health issues.

Certainly not kind or politically correct- and not something most would ever verbally express in public.

jcrew6
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2014 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

He didn't make the comment about health.  He was stricly making fun of fat women.  The advocacy group made the comment about health. If you watch the video, you would see

Quoting Sisteract:

Well, CB has lost much weight in recent times. 

He is correct in that obesity is directly linked to serious health issues.

Certainly not kind or politically correct- and not something most would ever verbally express in public.

norwgnwood
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2014 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I had the biggest crush on him when I was a teen. I'm heart broken that the feelings will never be mutual because of my size.

Not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jcrew6
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2014 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL. 

Quoting norwgnwood: I had the biggest crush on him when I was a teen. I'm heart broken that the feelings wil never be mutual because of my size. Not.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 11, 2014 at 7:47 PM
6 moms liked this
Is this real? Charles says what he wants to say when he wants to say it and rarely gives a fuck what anyone thinks about it. Why? Because he's Charles Fucking Barkely and he can. I'll be surprised if he cares to make amends.
jcrew6
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2014 at 7:51 PM

LOL.  I watched him say this on TV the other night and I couoldn't beleive the length of the rant.  THEN, when I read about the advocay groups that were offended...  Primarily, I was shocked that there were obesity advocacy and coalitions out there...  

Quoting LauraKW: Is this real? Charles says what he wants to say when he wants to say it and rarely gives a fuck what anyone thinks about it. Why? Because he's Charles Fucking Barkely and he can. I'll be surprised if he cares to make amends.

little.worthen
by Tess on May. 11, 2014 at 7:55 PM
He was really picking on women who live in that particular place..
If the shoe fits...

If the majority of women there were skinny then he probably would have made comments about that..
jcrew6
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2014 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

You would think a man with a daughter would have more respect for women and body image.  But, then again he was never paid for being smart.  LOL

Quoting little.worthen: He was really picking on women who live in that particular place.. If the shoe fits... If the majority of women there were skinny then he probably would have made comments about that..

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2014 at 7:58 PM
7 moms liked this

Wait, wait, wait. There is such a thing as the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance??? Like, really? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)