Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Jews Protest at Last Supper Site Ahead of Visit by Pope Francis

Posted by on May. 12, 2014 at 1:27 PM
  • 52 Replies

Jews Protest at Last Supper Site Ahead of Visit by Pope Francis

JERUSALEM, Israel - More than 200 Orthodox Jews protested on Monday against the pope's planned visit to the site where Christians believe Jesus Christ had his Last Supper.

The Cenacle, a building on top of Mount Zion outside Jerusalem's walls, has resonance with all the Abrahamic religions. For Jews, it is the Tomb of King David and it is also the site of a 16th-century mosque.

But Orthodox Jews say that letting Christians pray there is in direct conflict with their religious teachings.

Protesters gathered outside the tomb on Monday, with loudspeakers broadcasting prayers and calls for more people to join their cause.

"Under Jewish law it is a big problem...basically they are taking over the place," organizer Rabbi Avraham Goldstein told NBC News.

Image: Two Ultra Orthodox Jews walk past a large poster bearing the portrait of Pope Francis THOMAS COEX / AFP - Getty Images
Two Ultra Orthodox Jews on Sunday walk past a large poster of Pope Francis on the Christian Information Center in the Old City of Jerusalem.

This controversy comes on the heels of a string of vandalism attacks allegedly perpetrated by far-right Jewish groups on Christian sites in the holy city.

Several Christian churches have been defaced and the top Roman Catholic cleric in the Holy Land said the spate "poisons the atmosphere of coexistence."

Fourteen attacks by suspected far-right Israelis have been reported in the past year, according to Reuters.

Several have been carried out over the last month, including a death threat daubed in Hebrew at the Assembly of Bishops at the Notre Dame Center in East Jerusalem, where the pontiff is due to meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

by on May. 12, 2014 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 12, 2014 at 1:39 PM

I can't claim to know enough about this 'conflict' nor will I pretend I do.

It seems to me, from my limited scope, to boil down to what was quoted in the article...........some Jews feel as if the Christians (Catholics) are taking over.

What can be done about it?  No clue.

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:43 PM
2 moms liked this
Any society that starts treating religion(s) as something that man and society needs to do for God(s) instead of having religion(s) as something that God(s) does for man and society will always find trouble.
shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2014 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Well said :)

Quoting Donna6503: Any society that starts treating religion(s) as something that man and society needs to do for God(s) instead of having religion(s) as something that God(s) does for man and society will always find trouble.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2014 at 2:09 PM
3 moms liked this

LOL, this must be a dilemma for some.  Do we defend the Catholics who we demonize or the Israeli Jews who we also demonize....

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on May. 12, 2014 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

odd comment, what are your thoughts on the OP?

Instead of what your presumed thoughts of what others are thinking..

Quoting 12hellokitty:

LOL, this must be a dilemma for some.  Do we defend the Catholics who we demonize or the Israeli Jews who we also demonize....

rsmom2511
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I think for me a line from the article sums it up: '...poisons the atmosphere of coexistence.' In other words, can't we all just get along? :)
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2014 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry I must have missed your thoughts on your OP, I have expressed mine....

simple smile

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on May. 12, 2014 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

No actually you haven't

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Sorry I must have missed your thoughts on your OP, I have expressed mine....

simple smile

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

autodidact
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2014 at 4:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't see how praying there constitutes taking over the place, or how it takes anything away to let others be there to observe its meaning to them. 

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 12, 2014 at 4:52 PM
2 moms liked this
Jerusalem isn't just a Holy place for Jews...

Others have visited and prayed there and not all were Jewish so why now is there suddenly a problem?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)