Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Dolphins suspend player for tweet about Michael Sam kiss

Posted by on May. 12, 2014 at 2:06 PM
  • 136 Replies

Quote:

Dolphins Suspend Player For Tweet About Michael Sam Kiss

BY ANNIE-ROSE STRASSER MAY 12, 2014 AT 9:01 AM UPDATED: MAY 12, 2014 AT 9:19 AM

Michael Sam celebrates being picked by the Rams in the NFL draft

Michael Sam celebrates being picked by the Rams in the NFL draft

CREDIT: AP PHOTO/ESPN

The Miami Dolphins have fined and suspended safety Don Jones for tweeting “Omg” and “horrible” after ESPN cut to a live feed of Michael Sam learning that he had just become the first openly gay male athlete drafted to any of the major American sports. In the live feed, Sam kissed his boyfriend in celebration, something with which Jones apparently took issue.

Don Jones Tweet

The Dolphins fined Jones an undisclosed amount and are suspending him until he completes an educational training.

Jones deleted the tweets and apologized for his comments on Sunday. “I want to apologize to Michael Sam for the inappropriate comments that I made last night on social media,” Jonessaid in a statement. “I take full responsibility for them and I regret that these tweets took away from his draft moment. I remember last year when I was drafted in the seventh round and all of the emotions and happiness I felt when I received the call that gave me an opportunity to play for an NFL team and I wish him all the best in his NFL career.”

The Dolphins’ player’s comments were damning for a team already struggling with a public image of bigotry. In the fall, Dolphins lineman Richie Incognito drew media scrutiny and was ultimately suspended for homophobic conduct and bullying his teammate with racial slurs.

report on the incident found that Incognito, along with two others on the offensive line, John Jerry and Mike Pouncey, were behind the harassment, and “that the assistant trainer repeatedly was the object of racial slurs and other racially derogatory language; that the other offensive lineman was subjected to homophobic name-calling and improper physical touching; and that [another player, Jonathan Martin] was taunted on a persistent basis with sexually explicit remarks about his sister and his mother and at times ridiculed with racial insults and other offensive comments.”

After that incident, the Dolphins fired offensive line coach Jim Turner and head trainer Kevin O’Neill for their involvement in the bullying. The team’s head coach, Joe Philbin, also signaled that he would institute harsh punishments for any similar behavior — including, as we now know, Jones’s.

“I will be accountable moving forward for making sure that we emphasize a team-first culture of respect towards one another,” Philbin said at the time.

While there are questions about whether Philbin actually didn’t know about Incognito’s behavior as it was happening — and reasons to doubt he has fostered a team culture that really disavows bullying — Philbin voiced similar concerns when he heard about Jones’s comments.

“We were disappointed to read Don’s tweets,” he said. “They were inappropriate and unacceptable, and we regret the negative impact these comments had on such an important weekend for the NFL. We met with Don today about respect, discrimination and judgment. These comments are not consistent with the values and standards of our program.”

by on May. 12, 2014 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 12, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Quote:

NFL draft: Reactions heat up after Michael Sam kisses boyfriend on TV

By Holly Yan and Dave Alsup, CNN
updated 2:03 PM EDT, Mon May 12, 2014

Source: CNN

(CNN) -- Not long after Michael Sam became the first openly gay player drafted to the NFL, some made clear his reaction was not welcome.

Shortly after learning of his selection by phone, a visibly emotionalSam turned to his boyfriend and kissed him.

"I'm sorry but that Michael Sam is no bueno for doing that on national tv," former Super Bowl champion Derrick Ward tweeted.

"Man U got little kids lookin at the draft. I can't believe ESPN even allowed that to happen," he added.

Ward, who played for the New York Giants and the Houston Texans,said he has received death threats against him and his children after the comments.

In an image taken from video, Michael Sam, left, and boyfriend Vito Cammisano kiss at an NFL draft party in San Diego. Sam was selected=
In an image taken from video, Michael Sam, left, and boyfriend Vito Cammisano kiss at an NFL draft party in San Diego. Sam was selected in the seventh round, 249th overall, by the St. Louis Rams.

Miami Dolphins safety Don Jones also expressed his disapproval, tweeting "horrible" and "OMG" after the kiss was aired. He has since deleted those comments.

But the Dolphins responded quickly, ordering Jones to pay an undisclosed fine and barring him from team activities until he finishes "training for his recent comments made on social media."

"We met with Don today about respect, discrimination and judgment," the Dolphins said in a statement Sunday. "These comments are not consistent with the values and standards of our program."

Jones issued a mea culpa for his remarks.

"I want to apologize to Michael Sam for the inappropriate comments that I made last night on social media," he said in a statement Sunday.

"I take full responsibility for them and I regret that these tweets took away from his draft moment. I remember last year when I was drafted in the seventh round and all of the emotions and happiness I felt when I received the call that gave me an opportunity to play for an NFL team and I wish him all the best in his NFL career."

Michael Sam's kiss spurs many reactions
Granderson: Kiss a sign of NFL progress

Sam's boyfriend, Vito Cammisano, a former University of Missouri swimmer who graduated last year and now interns for a broadcasting company in Columbia, Missouri, wasn't fazed by the vitriol and publicly celebrated his lover's achievement.

The Kansas City native first tweeted, "We are staying home! Could not be more proud of my babe! #stl #rams #missouri," then followed it up a few hours later with "Wow.What a day. On cloud 9. So proud and happy! #stl #rams #draft @MikeSamFootball."

The second tweet linked to a close-up of Cammisano, his face covered in cake, sharing another smooch with Sam.

Other reactions extended well beyond current and former NFL players.

"Any straight person who says "#MichaelSam/bf kiss pic doesnt look disgusting" can't pass a lie detector test saying it. Prove me wrong. #nfl," Patrick Dollard tweeted.

"It's annoying that people can't say anything about the Michael Sam kiss without people pointing at them saying "homophobe," Robby Schultz said.

But many welcomed Sam's seventh-round selection by the St. Louis Rams. His new team is just two hours away from the University of Missouri, where Sam was an All-American and the Southeastern Conference's defensive player of the year.

"Welcome to the squad @MikeSamFootball #D-LineShowtime," fellow Rams defensive end Robert Quinn tweeted.

President Barack Obama also weighed in.

"The President congratulates Michael Sam, the Rams and the NFL for taking an important step forward today in our Nation's journey," the White House said in a statement. "From the playing field to the corporate boardroom, LGBT Americans prove everyday that you should be judged by what you do and not who you are."

Some compared Sam kissing his boyfriend to other athletes kissing their wives or girlfriends.

"NFL guys get drafted. Kiss girlfriends. @MikeSamFootball kissed his boyfriend. Don't like?..that's a "you" problem," ESPN anchorStuart Scott tweeted. "Congrats Mike!"

Others poked fun at the controversy surrounding Sam.

"How do I explain Michael Sam to my kids?" Andy Kerman tweeted. "A man with TWO first names?"

Obama congratulates Michael Sam

skrbelly
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 3:33 PM
7 moms liked this
Good.The bigger problem is the culture of entitlement athletes live in within our society. Almost every day we hear about another rape or assault, drug and alcohol offenses, myriad crimes committed by kids and adults in the sport culture that almost never get prosecuted, and even then usually very lightly. Why? Because they are good at chasing a ball? It's way past time for the adults around these people to hold athletes accountable for all the horseshit that goes on in sports. A quarterback and a drum major get busted for drunk driving. Guess who is going to jail?
VooDooB
by weird cheese on May. 12, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Aaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd...............................begin.

ladybugchick317
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 3:38 PM
3 moms liked this

So you're telling me that a person can kiss someone on national tv and whether we agree with it or not we cannot express our opinions of it? I was raised a Christian and while I am glad that he is getting the chance to play pro (he is a great player) I don't agree with a person being with someone of the same sex. That is just my opinion. I can't voice my opinion and no one else can for fear that we will offend them but they can offend us all they want. That is not fair to anyone. His private life has nothing to do with how well he plays the game and so it should not overshadow his accomplishment. It was all over the news and I have two little girls that I don't feel should have to see that over and over. Before you start saying anything about my kids seeing it on tv they saw it when we were watching the news this morning getting ready for work and school. I didn't know that they were going to show that when they were talking about him getting drafted.

lga1965
by on May. 12, 2014 at 3:42 PM
This:

Quoting skrbelly: Good.The bigger problem is the culture of entitlement athletes live in within our society. Almost every day we hear about another rape or assault, drug and alcohol offenses, myriad crimes committed by kids and adults in the sport culture that almost never get prosecuted, and even then usually very lightly. Why? Because they are good at chasing a ball? It's way past time for the adults around these people to hold athletes accountable for all the horseshit that goes on in sports. A quarterback and a drum major get busted for drunk driving. Guess who is going to jail?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Its.me.Sam.
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2014 at 3:52 PM
5 moms liked this

oh my gawd gasp!!!
how dare that man kiss the person he loves...the person who has been at his side through a trying time.... in front of people..on national tv.  omg stop this filth right now. **sarcasm**
people's intolerance and bigotry is really showing

as for the guy being fined... i dont know why... maybe something legal in his contract.. but it sure does mean more that M. Sam's colleagues and peers and competitors in his sport act this way (more than the average tv watching bigots).  this is why it is SO BRAVE that he decided to live honestly. 

areid1023
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2014 at 3:58 PM
7 moms liked this
Omg. You were watching the NEWS with your children and THATS what you're worried about them seeing?

And of course you can voice your opinion. So could this guy. He isn't facing any legal repercussions.

Quoting ladybugchick317:

So you're telling me that a person can kiss someone on national tv and whether we agree with it or not we cannot express our opinions of it? I was raised a Christian and while I am glad that he is getting the chance to play pro (he is a great player) I don't agree with a person being with someone of the same sex. That is just my opinion. I can't voice my opinion and no one else can for fear that we will offend them but they can offend us all they want. That is not fair to anyone. His private life has nothing to do with how well he plays the game and so it should not overshadow his accomplishment. It was all over the news and I have two little girls that I don't feel should have to see that over and over. Before you start saying anything about my kids seeing it on tv they saw it when we were watching the news this morning getting ready for work and school. I didn't know that they were going to show that when they were talking about him getting drafted.

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2014 at 4:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting VooDooB:

Aaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd...............................begin.

How do we know his comments were because Sam is kissing a guy?  It's possible he finds Sam a horrible pick and views public displays of affection as gross.  Who really is to say, kind of like how who really is to say whether or not a satanic mass is mocking Catholics.  Are all players going to face the same consequences if they make not so nice comments about fellow players significant others in the future?   

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 12, 2014 at 4:37 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting ladybugchick317:

You are offened and you feel he is doing this on purpose?  

You should consider wrapping your children in bubble wrap if you want to 'protect' them from people.  

You have no issue with a man kissing a woman in a moment of celebration, right?

Of course not.  They are the right ones while this man and his partner are the wrong ones.  You better find a rock to hide under because guess what, people are who they are, whether you like it, 'believe in it' or otherwise.  They have just as much right to be who they are as any one else.

No one is saying someone can't have an opinion.  They most certainly can.  There are, however, at times, consequences to our words.  If I was to tweet out some disgusting 'opinion' about gay people and my co-workers saw it, my employer and even my family members, there would be consequences to my words and that opinion I put out there for all to see.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2014 at 4:40 PM

nope, she's not telling you that. 

Quoting ladybugchick317:

So you're telling me that a person can kiss someone on national tv and whether we agree with it or not we cannot express our opinions of it? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)