Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Are you worried that MERS will spread further in the U.S.?

Posted by on May. 13, 2014 at 9:11 AM
  • 15 Replies

2nd Case of MERS Strikes the U.S.: What You Need to Know (VIDEO)

by Adriana Velez

hospitalA scary new virus is roaming the globe. It's called Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, or MERS. The first confirmed case in the U.S. was reported May 2 in Indiana, but it didn't stop there. Today, a second U.S. case of MERS was confirmed in Orlando, Florida. That's got a lot of us worried. How contagious is this illness? How dangerous is it? And what exactly is MERS, anyway? Here's 8 things you need to know about the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome outbreak.

1. According to the Centers for Disease Control, MERS is a viral respiratory illness first discovered in Saudi Arabia in 2012. The symptoms include fever, shortness of breath, and cough.

2. MERS can lead to severe respiratory illness in most patients, and of those cases about 30 percent have died.

3. Officials say the second case of MERS is not related to the first. The patient had recently traveled from Saudi Arabia. In other words, it does not appear to be spreading in the U.S. at this time despite this second case.

4. There is no vaccine for MERS.

5. MERS is spread through close contact with infected people. "This virus has not shown the ability to spread easily from person to person in community settings," says Dr. Anne Schuchat, assistant surgeon general with the U.S. Public Health Service and director of the CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases.

6. The MERS patient in Indiana has been released from the hospital and is recovering "in isolation" at home. The Florida MERS patient is "doing well" in a Florida hospital, also isolated. This person was a health care provider (as was the Indiana patient) who lives and works in Saudi Arabia.

7. The CDC is investigating both cases, tracing back to everyone the patients may have had contact with to make sure no one else was infected.

8. Should we be worried? The CDC says no; MERS does not pose a threat to the general public. But they are still "concerned."

Click here for video

Are you worried that MERS will spread further in the U.S.?

by on May. 13, 2014 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on May. 13, 2014 at 9:49 AM

No! I have enough to worry about. I refuse to take on any more. 

Woodbabe
by Woodie on May. 13, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Will it spread? Probably. Am I losing sleep over it? No.

tapies2324
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 9:52 AM
2 moms liked this
Eh, look something is going to kill me one day. I work at a nursing home. I'd rather die of something quicker than just old age.
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 13, 2014 at 9:56 AM

It might spread further, but I won't worry about it, unless I have to. I'm thankful to have the info on it though.

LokisMama
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Meh.

You'd think the 2nd confirmed case would have known better though.  He's a fucking DOCTOR and he flew from Saudia Arabia, to London, to Boston, to Atlanta, and then to Orlando before he became symptomatic.  Who knowns how many people he exposed.

I'm not that worried about it, even though the Florida case is pretty close to home.  

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I'm not worried about it at this time.  I think it's worth keeping a close eye on by the CDC and other agencies, but as of now, it isn't contracted easily. 

MERS does have a high mortality rate, but I wonder if that is because of a possible lack of quality in medical care provided or if the patients didn't seek help until their situation was extremely dire or if it's the progression of the disease itself. 

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on May. 13, 2014 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Worried? No.

Confident that it absolutely will? Yes.

lga1965
by on May. 13, 2014 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I am worried.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

I'm not worried about it at this time.  I think it's worth keeping a close eye on by the CDC and other agencies, but as of now, it isn't contracted easily. 

MERS does have a high mortality rate, but I wonder if that is because of a possible lack of quality in medical care provided or if the patients didn't seek help until their situation was extremely dire or if it's the progression of the disease itself. 

The mortality rate has come down a bit since it started but often when mortality rate decreases, mobility increases. A large % of those who have been diagnosed have been medical professionals so would have received medical care fairly quickly. 

sav820
by on May. 13, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Yes i would worry.  Years ago after 911 a friend who visited for a few weeks came down with some type of bacterial issue.....cough fever, weak etc..I caught it as did 2 others in our house. By day 3 I was so sick I forced everyone to go to the clinic. ALL of us caught it we were all on breathing machines at home and it took 7 weeks to get well....I could hardly get off the bed i was so weak and sick.  Mostly coughing and breathing issues, terrible weakness...I was on a machine 4 x day and took 4  courses of antibiotics..( we all did ) before I was well as were the others...and 5 - 6 trips to the clinic for each of us...so yes it could be deadly...I remember at the time thinking did someone bring a new illness into the USA back then...i was never so sick in my life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)