Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Bouncy House Blows Away With Kids Still Inside (PHOTO) Have you ever had a bouncy house for a party?

Posted by on May. 14, 2014 at 9:10 AM
  • 33 Replies

Bouncy House Blows Away With Kids Still Inside (PHOTO)

by Suzee Skwiot

bounce houseFor any parents planning a backyard birthday this summer: beware! Two boys were seriously injured yesterday after the bouncy house they were playing in was swept away 50 feet in the air!

Three kids, ages 5, 6, and 10, were in the inflatable castle when a sudden gust of wind picked up and began to carry the house away. One child made it out with just scrapes and bruises. Another boy fell 15 feet and landed on a car, while the third child fell on asphalt.

Both boys were seriously injured after their falls. The younger boy broke both arms and had facial injuries, while the other had a traumatic head injury.

Just look at the photo taken by a bystander. It's absolutely terrifying!

The house is just floating along gingerly in the sky, Up style. But the injuries, not to mention trauma, the kids faced are not to be taken lightly.

Injuries happen all the time in bouncy houses. There are limbs flying and children landing awkwardly, but not one expects the actual structure to suddenly fly off into the sky.

So take note, parents! If you're considering renting a bouncy house, make sure that the company is fully licensed and insured. Don't be afraid to ask around for recommendations from other parents -- their horror stories could protect your kids.

If you're setting up your own bounce house, follow the directions on how to properly and safely secure the house to the ground. This bounce house was secured, it seems, but the wind grabbed it anyway. 

You can prevent that by using the provided anchors and weighing the house down with sandbags. Always properly inflate it, and never, ever use it on a windy day.

Just following the rules could keep the fun going and avert serious tragedy.

Have you ever had a bouncy house for a party?

by on May. 14, 2014 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on May. 14, 2014 at 9:18 AM

No bounce house, no trampolines. I'm a freak like that. Always have been.

hopeym23
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 9:19 AM

My DD is going to a party this weekend and the parents rented one.

lulumomof2
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 9:52 AM

I used to own a bouncy house company. And first of all the bouncer in this story was not a commercial bouncer (from what I heard and read it was a little tykes bouncer). Most companies that rent them out have bouncer that have a thicker material. (its more of a commercial grade, its not the kind of bouncers you buy at Target, Walmart or Toys R Us). 2nd MOST companies to have a weather standard for the use/rental of their bouncers (at least we did). I do agree that you have to check out the companies you may be renting from. I had no problem letting potential renters come and see the bouncer (that they were interested in renting) before signing a rental agreement. When we closed our business I had a few regular customers call me and ask me what kind of questions should they be asking a company before they rent. Some of the things I told them were 1.How often do you inspect your bouncers 2.What do you use to clean the bouncers 3. How often do you clean them 3. Cancellation policy 4. Weather policy and 5. Do you have insurance (liability). Also what is the weight limit on the bouncer they are renting.

And the renters need to understand that when a company says they can't put the bouncer up in a certain type of weather that they are doing it for the safety of not only the children/bouncers but also for the safety of their equipment. I had one customer who I had to pick up the bouncers early do to thunder and lighting. The customer's husband actually stood there and argued with me about that it wasn't safe to have them up in bad weather (we had a huge rain storm coming...severe thunderstorm). After him arguing with me that he would sign whatever he had to, to release me from any liability if someone got hurt  and me telling him that I still couldn't do it I finally told him that its not just about his guests getting hurt, but also my equipment getting ruined and damaged. But this went on for about 20 minutes (about the time it took my dh/and sons) to take down and wrap up the bouncers. We got the last one loaded when the sky opened and dropped BUCKETS AND BUCKETS of water down!! Its important to get a good company but its also important to be a good customer!! And trust when the experts say its not safe!!

Dobermans are like Potato chips, nobody can have just one!

lga1965
by on May. 14, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Renting a "bouncy house" or anything like that was not a fad when my kids were still young enough to have Brthday Parties, thank goodness. We just had games, favors, a cake and the kids played in the back yard or stayed inside to watch a kiddies' movie if the weather wasn't good. No big deal.

It seems that the last decade or so that Moms all compete with others for the best ever Birthday Party and spend an obnoxious amount of time and money on parties. It is ridiculous. It doesn't matter to kids. It is just for Moms. All kids want are presents and the company of their friends. Besides, when Moms put on a big deal like taking the whole group of kids to Chuckie Cheese or a park,etc,for a Birthday Party,  the kids get wired, freaky and crazy and they go home with tummy aches and hyper behavior. Nice.

We had low key parties and our kids were happy.

ZombieMeat37
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

We own a bounce house but it's never used when it's windy and we make sure it's very secure.

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2014 at 10:25 AM
These things always worried me in the back of my mind although I have to admit, it was always a collapse and suffocation that concerned me, not becoming The Wizard of Oz and being blown right out of Kansas. But I can't even count how many times I've seen kids smack heads together in those things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 14, 2014 at 10:30 AM

I wouldn't rent one.

opal10161973
by on May. 14, 2014 at 10:33 AM

We just rented one for my DD's 7th birthday party and they had that thing tied down so well, I have a hard time believing it would go anywhere- not to mention that the blower weighed a lot, but you never know.  Also, the one we rented was completely enclosed with a netting over the opening, so even if it did try to blow away, the kids wouldn't likely fall out.  The one in this article was completely open at the top.  Actually, I didn't understand the need for opening to be covered like that, until I read this article.  It made me glad that the company had bouncers like that. 

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2014 at 10:34 AM
Yes I have. It was for my sons 2nd birthday. He had couple friends play in it with him. It was fun.
trippyhippy
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2014 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Just ordered a big one with a water slide and pool attached for my son's b day party in 2 weeks.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)