Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

playgrounds, your children and strangers with guns

Posted by on May. 14, 2014 at 11:47 PM
  • 118 Replies
1 mom liked this

Photo: In March, the mayor of West Virginia’s largest city created a sign just like this after the legislature passed a law that blocks cities from prohibiting guns in their parks and community centers.
In more than 40 states, the NRA has persuaded state legislatures to keep local governments from adopting gun violence prevention measures suited to local conditions.
These laws defy common sense by requiring crowded, high-crime cities to apply the same gun laws as those in sparsely populated, low-crime rural areas. This misguided approach to gun regulation prevents urban areas from addressing the unique challenges and concerns they face with gun violence.

n March, the mayor of West Virginia’s largest city created a sign just like this after the legislature passed a law that blocks cities from prohibiting guns in their parks and community centers.

In more than 40 states, the NRA has persuaded state legislatures to keep local governments from adopting gun violence prevention measures suited to local conditions.

These laws defy common sense by requiring crowded, high-crime cities to apply the same gun laws as those in sparsely populated, low-crime rural areas. This misguided approach to gun regulation prevents urban areas from addressing the unique challenges and concerns they face with gun violence.

For more information on this:

http://everytown.org/

by on May. 14, 2014 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lga1965
by on May. 15, 2014 at 1:42 AM
8 moms liked this
I'm not "anti-gun" but the idea of people "carrying" guns on playgrounds is evil. Concealed carry is abhorrent to me,also. I understand hunting and eating what you shoot but I can't understand the minds of people who can't handle living without a gun attached to their bodies. Carrying a gun near children is outrageous and evil.
Of course the NRA will push to.allow guns EVERYWHERE.
It's horrible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
booaura
by on May. 15, 2014 at 2:32 AM
5 moms liked this
If I saw someone with a gun, who wasn't a police officer or other law enfrocement individual, on a playground, I would call the police and take my kids home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Healthystart30
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 4:04 AM
8 moms liked this
I hate how much power the NRA has! Almost like an extremist religious group! Instead of a god they worship guns. And don't speak Ill of their ways because you get attacked and called a unpatriotic freedom hater. Unbelievable how well they manage to brainwash and buy people.
I don't know why in the world people need guns at the playground. I can just picture it! A suspicious character comes walking up and all the parents draw their guns and start shooting.
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on May. 15, 2014 at 4:44 AM
2 moms liked this

soon the irresponsible gun owners will be out with their kids and think someone is trying to abduct them, shoot at them, miss and kill kids.  It will be on all the news as a horrible accident...mistake.  10 years from now it will be a normal occurrance and all that will be at public parks are those with guns, hands on holster vigilantes....gone will be the kids.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2014 at 6:06 AM
Stupidity gets strapped
jllcali
by Jane on May. 15, 2014 at 8:56 AM
A sign isn't going to change the number of people who have concealed carry permits and carry or the number of people who carry concealed illegally.

The only places anyone can have a reasonable expectation non law enforcement personnel are probably unarmed are places that have controlled entry and exit points with weapons searches conducted at the entry point.
AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Real talk, here, my daughter's friends with this sweet little boy. His dad is an Iraqi War vet. They live very close to me. I see them at school pickup, the park, and around the neighborhood all the time.

The dad told me be "isn't good with crowds" and carries a gun with him almost constantly (probably even to school pickup) because of "too many tours of Iraq".

We took the kids to the park together and he took his magazine out to " show me what he was working with". Hollow points.

I respect his service, I understand that he wants to feel safe, but I would be lying if I said it didn't bother me. Immensely.

Don't take guns to parks, people. And if you do, don'tall but tell an almost stranger that you have PTSD and then pull out your clip. Still wondering if I should make a report.
jllcali
by Jane on May. 15, 2014 at 9:22 AM
3 moms liked this
I'm not disturbed by the thought that someone might be carrying concealed at a park, I assume at any given time someone probably is. (then again I am in Texas). I am, however, disturbed by behavior you described. He has anxiety, PTSD, problems with boundaries and reading people. Not really a good combo for someone carrying a lethal weapon.

Quoting AtiFreeFalls: Real talk, here, my daughter's friends with this sweet little boy. His dad is an Iraqi War vet. They live very close to me. I see them at school pickup, the park, and around the neighborhood all the time.

The dad told me be "isn't good with crowds" and carries a gun with him almost constantly (probably even to school pickup) because of "too many tours of Iraq".

We took the kids to the park together and he took his magazine out to " show me what he was working with". Hollow points.

I respect his service, I understand that he wants to feel safe, but I would be lying if I said it didn't bother me. Immensely.

Don't take guns to parks, people. And if you do, don'tall but tell an almost stranger that you have PTSD and then pull out your clip. Still wondering if I should make a report.
AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 9:42 AM
I was raised around guns, I'm used to seeing guns on people's hips. Like you said, its not so much the gun that bothers me, but the person who is carrying. He seems like a nice fellow, but not someone who should be armed at all times.

Here, you need a concealed carry permit, and I know he doesn't have one (he told me so), but his gun isn't visible. Its legal to carry in plain sight, but he's not doing that.

I'm cool with socially awkward people. Not so comfortable around this guy, though.

Quoting jllcali: I'm not disturbed by the thought that someone might be carrying concealed at a park, I assume at any given time someone probably is. (then again I am in Texas). I am, however, disturbed by behavior you described. He has anxiety, PTSD, problems with boundaries and reading people. Not really a good combo for someone carrying a lethal weapon.

Quoting AtiFreeFalls: Real talk, here, my daughter's friends with this sweet little boy. His dad is an Iraqi War vet. They live very close to me. I see them at school pickup, the park, and around the neighborhood all the time.

meriana
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2014 at 9:50 AM
4 moms liked this

The NRA has gotten way out of control. They used to be about gun safety, hunting, target shooting, etc., these days they're about everyone should have a gun that wants one and getting rid of any and all regulation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)