Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should she be forced to undergo chemotherapy? UPDATED

Posted by on May. 16, 2014 at 9:40 AM
  • 91 Replies

UPDATE:

Children's Aid has met with Makayla's family and has announced that she will not be placed in their care and will not be forced to continue with her chemotherapy treatments.  

Her family says she is doing very well, and they believe that the traditional medicine is working.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/aboriginal/makayla-sault-will-not-be-apprehended-by-children-s-aid-1.2648562

http://www.cbc.ca/news/aboriginal/first-nations-girl-chooses-traditional-medicine-over-chemo-1.2644637

Sorry, can't make it clicky.  Seriously, someone has got to explain to me how to do that because I have yet to figure it out.

Anyhow, the cliff notes.  This 10-year old girl has leukemia.  She underwent chemotherapy for 11 weeks but after ending up in the ICU as a result of the side effects, her and her family made the decision to discontinue the chemo and have opted to use traditional native medicine.

The hospital referred her case to the Childrens' Aid Society, who may choose to take the girl into foster care and force her to undergo chemotherapy.

What do you think?  Should this child be apprehended and forced to undergo chemotherapy?  Do you think this case is comparable to those religious sects who refuse medical intervention in favor of "faith healing"?  Or does the use of traditional medicine (rather than faith healing) add a different element to the situation?

As someone who favors both modern medical treatment and alternative / traditional medicine I am truly torn.  I understand that watching your child go through chemotherapy can be heart wrenching, I can't even imagine watching my child go through that kind of pain and suffering.  However I can't imagine losing my child because I didn't do everything possible to make him or her better.  

I will be in and out all day (beautiful day outside so me and kiddos are going to take advantage of it while we can) but I look forward to hearing your opinions on this.

by on May. 16, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4evrinbluejeans
by KK on May. 16, 2014 at 9:47 AM

when you post a link, highlight the link you want to make active and select the button in the "tools" bar above that looks like a chainlink.  It will open a small window and you repost the link in the top field.   (If you need to recopy the link so you can paste it again, do that before you select the link button)

LDavis33
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Thanks so much! I see you did it for me too.  For good measure I gave it a shot and it actually worked!

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

when you post a link, highlight the link you want to make active and select the button in the "tools" bar above that looks like a chainlink.  It will open a small window and you repost the link in the top field.   (If you need to recopy the link so you can paste it again, do that before you select the link button)

meriana
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2014 at 9:59 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't know what I'd do. The girl has undergone Chemo and ended up in the ICU as a result, which right there means she could have died from the effects of the Chemo treatments. The medical community will, of course, insist that what they want to do is the only right thing to do and if the person undergoing the treatment dies as a result of that treatment, it's pretty much a, well we tried type of thing. I can't imagine being in the position of these parents watching their child suffer and knowing that the effects of the established form of treatment could easily land her once again in the ICU because the treatment can kill her. I just don't know. How much suffering should be inflicted on a child because a Dr. says this is how we do it. How much guilt do parents endure when the treatment not only kills their child but causes said child tremendous suffering for weeks or months before they die. No easy answer and really no solid right or wrong in these cases. I do have a problem with the ability of  the medical community to over-ride parental decisions regarding children because they are seen as knowing best and so their dictates must always be followed as though they are somehow infallible

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on May. 16, 2014 at 10:02 AM

you're welcome and good job!  :)  As for the question, I'm torn.  I don't think doctor's have all the answers and patients should have some authority and say over what they will and will not put their bodies through.  I also think we have the right to accept the consquences that may come with those choices, even if that consequence is death.  Now for the BUT, I don't know that 10 year children quite understand what those choices may really mean.  

I wish doctor's would be open to other options in conjunction with traditional medical treatments and I don't think forcing the breakup of a family should be one of the first tools they reach for in their bag of tricks.

I don't know what the laws are in Canadian involving their reservation/tribal lands.  I'm not sure if they could force the tribe to give up the child to the state, as long as she is on the reservation/tribal land.  

Quoting LDavis33:

Thanks so much! I see you did it for me too.  For good measure I gave it a shot and it actually worked!

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on May. 16, 2014 at 10:03 AM

I do know that cases where children have been given the right to make these decisions, but they were older than 10.  

fatcat0908
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2014 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I think they need to have this child evaluated by a non bias child psychologist to get to the bottom of what this child really wants, and they also need to factor her survival rate with and without the chemo. Is it a last ditch effort or something the oncologist feel can truly work in her case. 

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 16, 2014 at 10:14 AM

I'm really torn too. :(

Aslen
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2014 at 10:16 AM

y'all... the clicky links bring you to this post....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)