Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Michael Sam reality show/ edit show on hold

Posted by on May. 16, 2014 at 8:35 PM
  • 84 Replies
Michael SamAP

An unnamed teammate of Rams defensive endMichael Sam may have concerns about Sam’s reality show on Oprah’s network.  The team itself, however, doesn’t share those concerns.  Yet.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Rams intend to cooperate with Sam in a way that will make the entire situation — including reality show — work out for everyone.

It’s unknown whether the Rams knew about Sam’s plans for a reality show when drafting Sam.  As best we can tell, the team wasn’t aware.

Obviously, the Rams are aware now.  And they’re intent on finding a way to make the situation successful.

Part of that naturally will be finding a way to ensure that teammates who have issues with Sam’s reality show or anything else (including the team arguably giving Sam special treatment) express their views internally to the organization — and not anonymously to the media.

Michael Sam reality show on hold

michaelsamAP

A planned reality TV show centered on Rams rookie defensive end Michael Sam has been placed on hold.

The Oprah Winfrey Network announced that it is postponing the Sam reality show, after Sam faced criticism from those who said his decision to become the focal point of a TV show was incompatible with his claims that he’s totally focused on football.

Sam’s agent released a statement saying, “After today’s meeting with the Rams, we collectively feel it is best to postpone the project. This will allow for Michael to have a total focus on football, and will ensure no distractions to his teammates. Everybody involved remains committed to this project and understands its historical importance as well as its positive message.”

When the project was announced on Wednesday, Sam said in a statement that, “my focus is on playing football to the very best of my ability.” And the show was reportedly slated to show Sam hard at work trying to make the Rams’ roster.

But by Thursday, Sam had begun facing criticism by fans and members of the media who questioned whether he was more interested in becoming a star than a football player. More importantly, at least one Rams player had concerns, and there were conflicting reports about whether the NFL was aware of Sam’s plans to participate in the reality TV show.

OWN says it continues to support Sam. It wouldn’t be surprising to see him working with the network at some point, but that point will not be this summer, while all of Sam’s work will be football-focused.

by on May. 16, 2014 at 8:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 16, 2014 at 8:39 PM
Ok.
Its.me.Sam.
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2014 at 8:42 PM
2 moms liked this

he has an interesting story to tell/experience to share.  

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on May. 16, 2014 at 8:44 PM
2 moms liked this
It's better than the "Libtard" hating Sherriff getting one
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 16, 2014 at 8:45 PM
And...

There's a ton of pro athletes with reality shows. Eh...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
billsfan1104
by Jules on May. 16, 2014 at 9:17 PM
Usually they are retired, right??

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley: And...

There's a ton of pro athletes with reality shows. Eh...
billsfan1104
by Jules on May. 16, 2014 at 9:19 PM
3 moms liked this
Can we be honest here??? What story does he have to tell?? He is gay. BFD. What are they going to film for a reality show?
He just needs to prove his worth, like every other football player and play the damn game when it's game time. Quit worrying about a reality show and so forth.

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2014 at 9:25 PM
I'm sure the Rams owner is eating it up. Free publicity? Yes, please.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Reality shows like this usually turn out to be train wrecks.  I wonder what will happen when Sam is made the focus of not so favorable chants from the crowd.  Will Rams management be putting the fans who shell out money on tickets and merchandise through gay sensitivity training?  

Quoting billsfan1104: Can we be honest here??? What story does he have to tell?? He is gay. BFD. What are they going to film for a reality show? He just needs to prove his worth, like every other football player and play the damn game when it's game time. Quit worrying about a reality show and so forth.
Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 16, 2014 at 9:47 PM
6 moms liked this
NFL reality shows tend to do well. An attractive hometown football player, who happens to be gay and in an interracial relationship with a cute as a bug boyfriend, trying to make the cut as an NFL rookie in the middle of the Bible Belt. Yeah, there's a million of those shows already on the air.

Quoting billsfan1104: Can we be honest here??? What story does he have to tell?? He is gay. BFD. What are they going to film for a reality show?
He just needs to prove his worth, like every other football player and play the damn game when it's game time. Quit worrying about a reality show and so forth.

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 16, 2014 at 9:51 PM
What reality shows are you referring to?

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Reality shows like this usually turn out to be train wrecks.  I wonder what will happen when Sam is made the focus of not so favorable chants from the crowd.  Will Rams management be putting the fans who shell out money on tickets and merchandise through gay sensitivity training?  

Quoting billsfan1104: Can we be honest here??? What story does he have to tell?? He is gay. BFD. What are they going to film for a reality show?

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)