Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Tip or don't tip. I don't care. I prefer to tip according to the service I receive as a patron....

Posted by on May. 17, 2014 at 7:16 PM
  • 66 Replies
1 mom liked this

Servers aren't guaranteed tips for working in the restaurant we dine in or for taking food orders. Let's be real. Some people would prefer not to tip because they're pissed about being expected to tip. Those kinds of people probably feel like the costs associated with dining out and being served are worked into the costs associated with their food and drinks. Then there are the kind of people who realize that serving can be hard work. Not only are these people working for tips to supplement their awfully low wage, they also tipping out to bussers and bar staff. Servers have to deal with guests, cooks, other staff members and a variety of things that could possibly keep them from receiving a fair, if not generous tip.

Serving can be a lucrative job, even with the people that tip poorly if at all. If you don't tip because you don't think you should have to that just makes you a jerk in my opinion.

by on May. 17, 2014 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blueforewolf
by on May. 17, 2014 at 7:51 PM

I give tips but the amount depends on the server

SlightlyPerfect
Chanting. "4 more weeks."
Yesterday at 8:14 PM
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2014 at 8:27 AM
2 moms liked this
Serving is not a hard job, but it's definitely worth more than below minimum wage.

Quite frankly, I don't understand how people in other service industries (like hair stylists, hotel staff, and masseuses) get paid above minimum and also receive tips. Why shouldn't that happen in food service?

But the whole point of tipping is to show gratitude for service. What another person financially makes is none of my business, so it doesn't factor in to how much I tip or even if I do.
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on May. 18, 2014 at 8:33 AM
4 moms liked this

This really needed to be a separate post from the other tip post whining about not wanting to tip? 

If you don't want to tip, don't tip. But people have a right to think you're a cheap skate and you (general you) don't get to demand otherwise. 

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on May. 18, 2014 at 8:38 AM
7 moms liked this

Quoting SlightlyPerfect: Serving is not a hard job, but it's definitely worth more than below minimum wage. Quite frankly, I don't understand how people in other service industries (like hair stylists, hotel staff, and masseuses) get paid above minimum and also receive tips. Why shouldn't that happen in food service? But the whole point of tipping is to show gratitude for service. What another person financially makes is none of my business, so it doesn't factor in to how much I tip or even if I do.

Have you ever worked as a server, or are you just making that statement based on assumptions? Because I can tell you, in the past, I've worked as a server in three different kinds of places (bars to high class restaurants), and the work was hard in every one of them. People are rude to you, employers demand a lot from you and you get blamed if others (bartenders and cooks) screw up an order because you are the person the customer sees. So bullshit serving isn't a tough job. 

jamamama00
by on May. 18, 2014 at 8:51 AM
2 moms liked this
Serving is not a hard job?! Where did you wait tables at?

Quoting SlightlyPerfect: Serving is not a hard job, but it's definitely worth more than below minimum wage.

Quite frankly, I don't understand how people in other service industries (like hair stylists, hotel staff, and masseuses) get paid above minimum and also receive tips. Why shouldn't that happen in food service?

But the whole point of tipping is to show gratitude for service. What another person financially makes is none of my business, so it doesn't factor in to how much I tip or even if I do.
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2014 at 8:54 AM
5 moms liked this
Serving is a physically and emotionally hard job. I think if you are too cheap to tip, don't eat out.
funny_girl3
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 8:56 AM
Everyone is entitled to have a bad day at work. But if a server takes her bad day out on me, of course the tip I leave will reflect that. I don't take my family out to eat to subject them to other people's bad attitudes. I can verbally abuse my family myself, in the comfort of our home, for free. (That last sentence was meant to be silly. It's hard to denote tone in online communication).
danie24
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2014 at 8:58 AM
I tip based on service.

Bad service means no tip (that only happened once in my life). Ok service will give you an OK tip. Great service gets you a great tip.

It's not my problem if someone chooses a low paying job. I was a server in university and applied to several jobs and chose the one who payed the highest wage (13 years ago minimum wage was 8 dollars an hour and I was paid 9 at the restaurant I worked at).
NDADanceMom
by on May. 18, 2014 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this
When I don't feel like tipping I just call the place I want to eat at and order something to go.
dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on May. 18, 2014 at 9:45 AM
2 moms liked this

I worked as a waitress in Palm Beach 30 yrs ago. We were paid 2.80 an hour. That covered insurance & taxes. We tipped out bartenders and busboys. We worked our asses off. From prep to cleanup when we where there we worked. Physically it was hard and mentally it could be. People can be mean!  But I made SERIOUS $$$$. If you are good at your job, people tip and come back and ask for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)