Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

1st graders' performance of Village People's YMCA cancelled after accusations of racism.

Posted by on May. 18, 2014 at 2:48 PM
  • 51 Replies

Quote:

1st graders’ performance of Village People’s YMCA cancelled after accusations of racism

By Tom Boggioni
Friday, May 16, 2014 8:11 EDT

shutterstock_107512310

A performance of the Village People’s 1978 disco hit Y.M.C.A. by a group of first graders in North Dakota was cancelled after one parent called the portrayal of the Native American member of the group “racist.”

The performance had been slated for a talent show at Fargo’s Bennett Elementary school on May 6, according to WDAY.

A first grade teacher at the school had requested that the children come to the show dressed as the Village People; a policeman, a cowboy, a biker, a construction worker, or a Native American.

One mother, Elaine Bolman, said asking her daughter or other children to dress up as a Native American was offensive.

“I’m not in a position to do anything for these educators and hopefully those people that are can make the right choices so all students of any culture and race won’t feel singled out or like their race is being stereotyped against,” Bolman explained.

Following Bolman’s complaint, school administrators pulled the song the the program.

What do you think?

Last week, in Spokane, they held the Jr. Lilac Parade.  Middle school bands compete and there is a theme to the parade, which was in honor of the Worlds Fair in 74'.  Chase Middle School played YMCA and the band members were dressed up as members of the band.  They won the Sweepstakes Award.  They were great, they looked cool and they had a blast.  Was the school wrong to allow this?

Would you complain if your school attempted this?

P.S. Have been trying to find a photo of the band, no luck.

by on May. 18, 2014 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 18, 2014 at 3:44 PM

BUMP!

slashteddy
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2014 at 3:46 PM
I wouldn't allow my child to participate, but I wouldn't complain.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 18, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Quoting slashteddy: I wouldn't allow my child to participate, but I wouldn't complain.

Why not?

slashteddy
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2014 at 3:54 PM
5 moms liked this
Imo, racial costumes are, at the least, cultural appropriation, and at worst, racist caricatures.

On second thought, I might let DD participate if she wanted, but we would discuss why one costume is not a good idea, and she could choose one of the others. Same goes for Halloween.

Though, again, I wouldn't ask for the event to be cancelled, or make a stink about it. I'd just talk to her about why we believe it's wrong.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting slashteddy: I wouldn't allow my child to participate, but I wouldn't complain.

Why not?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 18, 2014 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting slashteddy: Imo, racial costumes are, at the least, cultural appropriation, and at worst, racist caricatures. On second thought, I might let DD participate if she wanted, but we would discuss why one costume is not a good idea, and she could choose one of the others. Same goes for Halloween. Though, again, I wouldn't ask for the event to be cancelled, or make a stink about it. I'd just talk to her about why we believe it's wrong.
Quoting FromAtoZ:

Why not?

Thanks for responding.

I get that, I do.  I just don't know that I agree with it under these circumstances.  The intent matters but again, I do see what you are saying.

I have not been in this position. Perhaps if I was I would think differently.  I just don't know.

Dee0886
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2014 at 3:55 PM
13 moms liked this

Wow. People need to chill with the obsession to be politically correct. It's getting insane. You can't do anything without being called racist these days. I personally don't see anything wrong with this.

meriana
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2014 at 5:26 PM
3 moms liked this

Good grief. One parent complains and a whole group of 1st graders cannot do something they would have had a great deal of fun with. I agree with Dee0886, this politically correct stuff is getting insane.

Here's a link to some great pics of the Village People. Not all the pics are of them but there are some good ones of them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=village+people+band&client=firefox-a&hs=CWp&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ZyN5U77WLMzzoAT5voKQBA&ved=0CKgCEOwJ&biw=1540&bih=813

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2014 at 5:31 PM
4 moms liked this
Sadly, it only takes one parent to have a tantrum and people give in.A rendition of YMCA I think would be a cute act for kids to put on. Wouldn't bother me at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 18, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Quoting meriana:

Good grief. One parent complains and a whole group of 1st graders cannot do something they would have had a great deal of fun with. I agree with Dee0886, this politically correct stuff is getting insane.

Here's a link to some great pics of the Village People. Not all the pics are of them but there are some good ones of them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=village+people+band&client=firefox-a&hs=CWp&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ZyN5U77WLMzzoAT5voKQBA&ved=0CKgCEOwJ&biw=1540&bih=813

Because of the band that won the Jr parade, which allowed them to march in the 'big' parade last night did just this, the Village People, I googled them this morning for my daughter and her friend.

They got such a kick out of their songs.

That is when I saw this story.

L202M
by on May. 18, 2014 at 7:53 PM
5 moms liked this

I swear, people just search for things to be offended by these days. They are pathetic and the people that give in to them are just as bad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)