Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Post nasal drip and hacking cough

Posted by on May. 18, 2014 at 8:19 PM
  • 8 Replies
DS,4, has had a horrible hacking cough for days... well, on and off really since we moved back to VA but it triple in intensity the past few days. His doc says it is just allergies and post nasal drip and not much can be done for him. He prescribed a nasal spray (yeah, that goes over with K like a lead balloon!!) But says it can take up to a week to see any difference. Biggest problem is we live in a studio hotel room so while HE can sleep through the nocturnal hacking fits, I can't!! I have tried Delsym (doc said we could try but he doubted it would work -- it doesn't), elevated head, humidifier, air purifier and even the Vicks trick. Nothing is working:( any other ideas??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 18, 2014 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 18, 2014 at 8:23 PM
Are you trying to get him to sleep better or you? I'm confused.
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2014 at 11:18 PM
Both. I want to help him stop trying to hack up a lung all night. He wimpers and cries out sometime after midnight, I assume because the cougging starts hurting his throat and ribs. And yeah, it would be nice to sleep more than a few hours again.

Quoting LauraKW: Are you trying to get him to sleep better or you? I'm confused.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ladyvamp5489
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2014 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

try warm cinnamon tea, always helps me and my family.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2014 at 5:24 AM
1 mom liked this
They have children's checks benadryl. Try that to see if it helps the cough symptoms. Hopefully it will hit him like a hammer too. They also make it in the melt away strips now in grape for kids. Haven't tried them though.
LDavis33
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2014 at 8:01 AM
2 moms liked this

Add some honey to this.  Delicious and will sooth his cough and his sore throat. Hope he feels better soon.

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

try warm cinnamon tea, always helps me and my family.

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2014 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Allergies were my first thought. If that's the case I don't think there is anything you can do now. If you find it is allergies next year you can get him an allergy shot before they kick in. Try Mucinex, I hear it's good and for the price it damn well better be. It will get rid of that Mucus that he is choking on. You also want to get it out before it drips to his to his lungs and turns to Bronchitis, the you really wont get any sleep.

Sisters of Islam

Healthy Living & Cooking

GLWerth
by Gina on May. 19, 2014 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Children's benadryl. Honestly, it will make everyone feel better.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on May. 19, 2014 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Try music to dwarf the noise?

Or a cot in the hallway for you.

:(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN