Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

NFL Rookie trademarking his own nicknames?

Posted by on May. 19, 2014 at 8:18 AM
Jes
  • 96 Replies
1 mom liked this
Johnny Manziel wants to slap his name on everything from shoes to shirts to baby clothing ... at least according to the trademark application he just filed.

TMZ Sports has learned ... Manziel filed docs with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office requesting exclusive rights to various permutations of his name and jersey number (2) -- including "JIIM," "JFF" "JMAN" "JMAN 2" "The House that Johnny Built" and ManzIIel."

According to the application, obtained by TMZ Sports, Manziel wants to use the various logos on athletic shirts, sleepwear, women's athletic tops, shorts, skirts, gloves and fire-retardant onesies for infants.

Johnny's application is still pending.

With so many upset about Michael Sam selling shirts and getting an offer from Oprah... Why is no one talking about all of the the other Rookies trying to make money? This is not a new trend either...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 19, 2014 at 8:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 19, 2014 at 8:26 AM
4 moms liked this
But Manziel isn't trying to capitalize on his gayness so it's ok. Being white doesn't hurt either.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 19, 2014 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh my bad ;-)

Quoting LauraKW: But Manziel isn't trying to capitalize on his gayness so it's ok. Being white doesn't hurt either.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Was Manziel a 7th round draft pick?  

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 19, 2014 at 10:10 AM
He was 22nd in the 1st round.
Which is 21 picks lower than he was "supposed" to go.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlg1989
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2014 at 10:12 AM
Meh. I don't buy stuff about players unless they are a great player and prove themselves that year.

Let him cash in, who cares.
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 19, 2014 at 10:14 AM
Agreed.

I have a few jerseys but they are of established players that I like not rookies.

I couldn't believe how these guys sell before they even play a game in the NFL! Crazy!

Quoting mlg1989: Meh. I don't buy stuff about players unless they are a great player and prove themselves that year.

Let him cash in, who cares.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2014 at 10:16 AM

I thought someone said something about picks around this number in the 1st round tend to do better?

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley: He was 22nd in the 1st round. Which is 21 picks lower than he was "supposed" to go.
Quoting 12hellokitty:

Mommabearbergh
by on May. 19, 2014 at 10:20 AM
2 moms liked this

They have been doing that for ages. When those kids are just prospects for professional teams they have things already trademarked.Its not news because for some reason being openly gay is a issue for some reason so that seems to be news.

meriana
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2014 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Manziel is using his name/nicknames, etc. A person's name/nickname is how he/she is addressed or referred to by others and while it is personal, it is not the same as one's sexuality. A person's name is WHO they are, not what they are.  Sexuality is different in that it is NOT who they are, it is simply a small part of their personal   life.  While sex is enjoyable and does play a part in one's life, it is not the most important part of one's life and certainly not the most important part of who one is as a person no matter how much the media via movies,  t.v. shows, articles, etc. try to make it so. Manziel will be known, forgotten, praised or otherwise by his  name or one of several nicknames.  Sam, on the other hand, with all the focus on his sexuality (a focus he, himself played a large part in) could easily end up being known, forgotten, praised or otherwise by his sexuality, as in,   that  gay kid, rather than his name. His sexuality may be a part of him but it is most certainly NOT who he is as a person. All the focus on sexuality and sex in general that the media has, for decades, provided does everyone a disservice in that it elevates that small part of a person's life, making it far more important than it is   and making the whole person far more about their sexuality than about what kind of human being they are. Really do people want to be, or should they be, known by their name or by what they do in the privacy of their bedrooms.

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on May. 19, 2014 at 10:37 AM
2 moms liked this
"Johnny Football" was tagged with an ncaa violation for selling his autograph, but yes, let's criticize Michael Sam....I totally ignored that post
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)