Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Term limits on presidents

Posted by on May. 19, 2014 at 9:51 AM
  • 30 Replies

I have seen stories/links lately about repealing the limit on presidential terms being presented to congress.  There were quite a few links on it, but those are not always believeable..

Has anyone else heard this?  Do you think it could happen?

by on May. 19, 2014 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2014 at 10:00 AM
4 moms liked this

I haven't read anything lately.  The illogical side of my brain thinks it's a fine idea to limit each president to one 4 year term.  However, when my gut reaction and my brain connect I see how impractical the notion is.  Limiting Congress lifers to perhaps two terms is on the right track in my book.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2014 at 10:01 AM
3 moms liked this

We've had a tradition of 2 terms by the president started by George Washington. Then Teddy Roosevelt had to go and serve like 4 terms and that's when congress passed the term limits for president. 

Honestly, I think that's a good system. Even better would be if they were limited to only one term and that term was 6 years. That way they would come in and be able to do heck of a lot more and not have to worry about reelection. 

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on May. 19, 2014 at 10:02 AM

There always seems to be some talk of changing the rules but it never agains much traction.  I don't see either side pushing hard enough to change the rules because neither would want to be stuck under an opposing party's leader indefinitely.  

jllcali
by on May. 19, 2014 at 10:06 AM
I've seen decent reasoning on both sides of the issue. I am undecided.
tcallisto
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 10:12 AM

I think a 6 year term would be good. Enough time to get more things completed. 

Quoting mehamil1:

We've had a tradition of 2 terms by the president started by George Washington. Then Teddy Roosevelt had to go and serve like 4 terms and that's when congress passed the term limits for president. 

Honestly, I think that's a good system. Even better would be if they were limited to only one term and that term was 6 years. That way they would come in and be able to do heck of a lot more and not have to worry about reelection. 

meriana
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2014 at 10:40 AM
7 moms liked this

Haven't really heard anything about it, however, instead of discussing any possible change in term limits for President, they should be discussing making term limits for Congress

tcallisto
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 10:48 AM

I agree!!  Most elected offices should have term limits. 

Quoting meriana:

Haven't really heard anything about it, however, instead of discussing any possible change in term limits for President, they should be discussing making term limits for Congress

DSamuels
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2014 at 10:56 AM
5 moms liked this

Actually it was FDR, not Teddy who served 4 terms.

Quoting mehamil1:

jcrew6
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Can you share some stories/links?  I haven't heard this.

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2014 at 12:28 PM

This is from last year - I think this guy does it every Congressional Session.

It never goes anywhere.

New York Democratic Representative José Serrano is proposing a constitutional amendment to end presidential term limits once again after 15 years of attempts to pass the measure, which would repeal the  22nd Amendment to the Constitution.

House Joint Resolution 15 reads:

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled (two-thirds of each House concurring therein), That the following article is proposed as an amendment to the Constitution of the United States, which shall be valid to all intents and purposes as part of the Constitution when ratified by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years after the date of its submission for ratification: The twenty-second article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed

Quoting jcrew6:

Can you share some stories/links?  I haven't heard this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN