Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Man Allegedly Hid In Teen's Closet, Raped Her At Night - Do you spy on your kids online activity?

Posted by on May. 21, 2014 at 12:55 PM
  • 252 Replies

Man Allegedly Hid In Teen's Closet, Raped Her At Night

A North Carolina man has been arrested after police say he spent five days hiding in a 14-year-old girl's closet and sexually assaulting her at night.

Jarred Ashley Workman, 27, of Iredell County, was charged with 11 counts of statutory rape and five counts of statutory sex offense, according to WCNC.

Authorities said Workman chatted with the teen on social media for about a month before deciding to meet up in the woods near the girl's home.

The teen invited Workman to stay at her home, where she lived with her parents, on April 27, according to WTVR.

The suspect managed to stay there for five days, allegedly sexually assaulting the teen at night while her parents were asleep.

"Just the fact that he would be that brazen to come up here to meet a girl online and then would try to stay in her residence not knowing what her parents are or what they're about," Lt. Bill Hamby with the Iredell County Sheriff's Office told the station.

The victim's mother caught Workman hiding in the closet on May 2. Workman allegedly bolted from the residence and ran into the woods.

The mother called police, who used a K-9 unit to search for the suspect, according to WBTV.

Police said they believe Workman was able to initially evade by police by getting a ride in a vehicle. Officers said they were able to locate Workman based on his phone and wallet, which he dropped while running through the woods. Police dogs discovered the items.

Cops said the victim identified her alleged assailant by name.

Workman turned himself in on Monday. In the past, Workman has been arrested for reckless driving, possession of stolen goods, probation violations, and eluding arrest with a motor vehicle.

"The internet has just ruined that poor girl," the victim's mother told WTVR. "She was very taken advantage of. I'm uncomfortable in my own home. I'm scared. I can't sleep at night."

by on May. 21, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Seracake
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2014 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Boy you're on a feel good article posting tirade! 

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2014 at 1:51 PM
19 moms liked this

Obviously this "man" is messed up to be having sex with a 14yr old and living in her closet for 5days but lets not throw the Rape word into this!  That girl invited this man into her house and hid him in her closet that to me does not scream poor little innocent child being raped at all! 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 21, 2014 at 1:54 PM
6 moms liked this

I don't spy.

I don't need to be sneaky about it.  If, at any time, I am denied access or passwords change, the whole social media aspect is gone.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2014 at 3:32 PM
6 moms liked this

it is rape, she's not old enough to give consent. 

Quoting babyspots17:

Obviously this "man" is messed up to be having sex with a 14yr old and living in her closet for 5days but lets not throw the Rape word into this!  That girl invited this man into her house and hid him in her closet that to me does not scream poor little innocent child being raped at all! 

.Bubbles.
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2014 at 3:39 PM
5 moms liked this

How does someone hide in the house for 4 days, and no one notices? Also, why did this 14 year old girl's internet activities go unchecked long enough for this to happen? Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on May. 21, 2014 at 3:49 PM
3 moms liked this

That's horrifying because that's EXACTLY what it is

Quoting babyspots17:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on May. 21, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Same here

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I don't spy.

I don't need to be sneaky about it.  If, at any time, I am denied access or passwords change, the whole social media aspect is gone.

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2014 at 4:01 PM
7 moms liked this

I think the title to this post is a bit misleading. While dude was quite disgusting, there is a HUGE difference between rape and statutory rape. 

lga1965
by on May. 21, 2014 at 4:17 PM
12 moms liked this

Quoting babyspots17:

Yes, this story has holes in it. She hid him. She asked him to stay. She participated. I think she made it all up and is trying to fool her parents. Welll, she DID!

If he raped her, she would have told her parents and they would have had him arrested immediately. She wasn't raped. It doesn't matter if she is YOUNG, she actually hid the guy and they had sex.

Doesn't anyone recognize the fact that this is phony?She was afraid to admit the truth to her parents. Mom blames the Internet and the man.

And think about the fact that you can't  say that the girl is always totally innocent. And it is totally biased to say that the guy is always wrong in any situation !  Get real here!

invisibleme
by Member on May. 21, 2014 at 4:20 PM
4 moms liked this

This whole situation has arised from a serious lack of parenting! How in the hell does a man hide in her Daughters closet unnoticed and raping her Daughter for 5 days?

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting babyspots17:

Yes, this story has holes in it. She hid him. She asked him to stay. She participated. I think she made it all up and is trying to fool her parents. Welll, she DID!

If he raped her, she would have told her parents and they would have had him arrested immediately. She wasn't raped. It doesn't matter if she is YOUNG, she actually hid the guy and they had sex.

Doesn't anyone recognize the fact that this is phony?She was afraid to admit the truth to her parents. Mom blames the Internet and the man.

And think about the fact that you can't  say that the girl is always totally innocent. And it is totally biased to say that the guy is always wrong in any situation !  Get real here!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN