Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Young Children Attack Stray Cat with Sticks, Stones, Bricks

Posted by on May. 22, 2014 at 9:11 AM
  • 38 Replies

The children, all under the age of 10, allegedly assaulted the stray feline with stones, bricks and sticks near School 4 in Paterson, N.J., on May 7. Quattro the cat reportedly had his skull and leg broken and lost an eye before older children stepped in to stop the attack.

Grade school children brutally beat a stray cat with stones, bricks and sticks which caused it to die a week later, police said.

Youngsters all under the age of 10 allegedly attacked the innocent feline near the School 4 playground in Paterson, New Jersey, on May 7.

Suffering a broken leg and skull, and with one of its eyes destroyed, the savage assault on the kitty only ended when two older children stepped in and chased the gang away.

One of the elder boys, aged 14, cared for the animal at home for two days until a teacher learned of the incident.

Renee Olah, founder of Hackensack-based Chance at Life Cat Rescue, then took the cat - who had been nicknamed Quattro - to an animal hospital for life-saving surgery.

But, after eight days of struggling with its injuries, it died on Thursday, May 15.

"He was doing great and all the sudden he took a turn for the worst," Olah told NJ.com.

Cops are now investigating the horrific assault, and the accused children - who have not been named - will be suspended for five days and receive counseling.

"It is disturbing to see what this animal went through," said Passaic County SPCA agent Luis Vasquez.

Olah, who spent $1,000 in veterinary bills on trying to save Quattro, said she hoped the cat achieved the justice he deserved.

"I can only hope they'll (the attackers) get the help they need so they won't do this kind of violent act to an animal, or other people for that matter," Olah said

"I know they're young, but if they're proven to be guilty I hope they get psychiatric help they very much need," she added.

by on May. 22, 2014 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meriana
by Platinum Member on May. 22, 2014 at 10:33 AM
4 moms liked this

Rotten kids. Age isn't an excuse. Yes they need some kind of counseling but that won't do much good if their parents don't step in and teach them what they should have been taught from infancy. Scary to think what they might be capable of as they get older.

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on May. 22, 2014 at 10:43 AM
6 moms liked this

This is scary to me. The total lack of empathy of these kids towards an animal does not bode well for their future or the future of those they come in contact with.        

PamR
by Pam on May. 22, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Abusing animals can be a precursor to abusing humans.  Their parents should not take this lightly.  At any rate, there is no excuse for what they did and they should be punished.

KimmyShaw
by Member on May. 22, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Wow, more than one child doing it makes it even that more scarier! Imagine what they will be like when they are older...

poor thing

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2014 at 10:52 AM
2 moms liked this

You should really have a warning about the photo before someone clicks on the thread...I really wish I hadn't opened the thread.

Queenme101
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2014 at 10:54 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that abusing/torturing animals as a child is linked to becoming an adult serial killer. Just look at Jeffrey Dahmer....

Quoting PamR:

Abusing animals can be a precursor to abusing humans.  Their parents should not take this lightly.  At any rate, there is no excuse for what they did and they should be punished.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 22, 2014 at 11:12 AM

throwing up

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 22, 2014 at 11:14 AM
Sociopaths? Yeah... I'm thinking counseling and their parents need to get them into some therapy. What is wrong with these kids!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fnpdocgrrl
by Boudica on May. 23, 2014 at 3:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Read all about the homicidal triad here

rsmom2511
by Member on May. 23, 2014 at 8:25 AM
Yep...cruelty to animals, bedwetting and fire starting=sociopath. I vaguely remember learning about this in college. Thanks for including this article.

I know school 4 in NJ and its awful. Really bad neighborhood. I doubt the parents will give two shits about counseling unfortunately (not to prejudge based on income/race, but usually those families have too much on their plate to begin with and don't put much stock into government counseling of their kids) I've seen in first hand. :-(

Quoting fnpdocgrrl:

Read all about the homicidal triad here

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)