Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Comey: FBI ‘Grappling’ With Hiring Policy Concerning Marijuana

Posted by on May. 22, 2014 at 12:54 PM
  • 32 Replies

Monday was a big day for the nation’s cyber police. The Justice Department charged five Chinese military officials with hacking, and brought charges against the creators of powerful hacking software.

But FBI Director James B. Comey said Monday that if the FBI hopes to continue to keep pace with cyber criminals, the organization may have to loosen up its no-tolerance policy for hiring those who like to smoke marijuana.

Congress has authorized the FBI to add 2,000 personnel to its rolls this year, and many of those new recruits will be assigned to tackle cyber crimes, a growing priority for the agency. And that’s a problem, Mr. Comey told the White Collar Crime Institute, an annual conference held at the New York City Bar Association in Manhattan. A lot of the nation’s top computer programmers and hacking gurus are also fond of marijuana.

“I have to hire a great work force to compete with those cyber criminals and some of those kids want to smoke weed on the way to the interview,” Mr. Comey said.

Mr. Comey said that the agency was “grappling with the question right now” of how to amend the agency’s marijuana policies, which excludes from consideration anyone who has smoked marijuana in the previous three years, according to the FBI’s Web site. One conference goer asked Mr. Comey about a friend who had shied away from applying because of the policy. “He should go ahead and apply,” despite the marijuana use, Mr. Comey said.

Earlier, the FBI director said the agency had “changed both our mindset and the way we do business.” He said it worked less “in-box” than it had in the past.

Mr. Comey also boasted of the agency’s efforts in combatting white collar crime. He said that the FBI had 1,300 agents currently working 10,700 white collar crime cases nationwide. The number of corporate fraud cases at the FBI had jumped 65 percent since 2008, he said.

“Anybody who thinks FBI agents shy away from going after either people or companies because they are too prominent or too large, doesn’t know the FBI,” he said.

Mr. Comey poked fun at the agency’s long-standing rivalry with federal prosecutors. FBI officials often quietly complain that while the FBI does all the leg work on investigating crimes, prosecutors hog all the glory once the cases go public.

Mr. Comey even read a haiku that included a friendly jab at Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara”

Thought I was good but

Preet made the cover of Time

What is life?

Mr. Comey also issued a more serious warning about the long term impacts of the Syrian civil war on global terrorism. He warned that when the Syrian conflict starts winding down, it would produce an outflow of hardened militants that poses a far bigger global terror threat than the outflow of militants that followed the Afghan war against the Russians in the 1980s.

“You can draw a line between that terrorist diaspora and 9/11,” Mr. Comey said. “The Syrian outflow, which will be much larger and harder to track, cannot be allowed to follow a similar line to a future tragedy.”

LINK

This is no surprise to me. I can't think of one gamer, hacker or computer wiz that I know personally, that doesn't smoke mj and I know quite a few.

H.R.H. Friday of MaryJane

by on May. 22, 2014 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2014 at 12:58 PM
I know one who didn't smoke MJ and he's a complete stickler for rules.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2014 at 1:24 PM
3 moms liked this
I read this and saw it on the news. We were laughing our butts off. Yea....MJ really dummies you down, haha.
Friday
by HRH of MJ on May. 22, 2014 at 1:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting LaughCryLive: I know one who didn't smoke MJ and he's a complete stickler for rules.

I'm sure there are others out there that don't use mj but if the FBI, or anyone, wants the best computer people, ruling out stoners is going to, or has already, severely limit their choices.

People need to realize the reality, many intelligent, educated and hard working people smoke pot.

H.R.H. Friday of MaryJane

LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2014 at 1:33 PM
I completely agree. I mean I know of only one that does not smoke weed. I know many professionals who do.

Quoting Friday:

Quoting LaughCryLive: I know one who didn't smoke MJ and he's a complete stickler for rules.

I'm sure there are others out there that don't use mj but if the FBI, or anyone, wants the best computer people, ruling out stoners is going to, or has already, severely limit their choices.

People need to realize the reality, many intelligent, educated and hard working people smoke pot.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on May. 23, 2014 at 6:42 AM
2 moms liked this
I never bothered filling out the application after I read through it.
Not only could you not have smoked in the past three years but you couldn't have smoked more than three times in your whole life. Let's hope they changed that. Too bad. I'm a hell of an interviewer that they could have used.
Give me ten minutes and I'll have the pope smoking a blunt and talking shit on all of his bishops and his mama. It's a talent I have.
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on May. 23, 2014 at 7:02 AM
This doesn't just apply to the FBI...soon it'll be more common to have presidents, CEOs who grew up in the 60s, and probably did mj or other drugs a few times.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on May. 23, 2014 at 7:09 AM
1 mom liked this
You mean like Clinton and Bush. Clinton got trashed over the coals for taking a toke and not "inhaling" but by the time W was running, he was just trying to make people forget about all of the coke, he never bothered denying pot. I don't think Obama had very much trouble either. By the time the kids who listened to cypress hill become president, it will be three years ago. The smokers are already in charge

Quoting coolmommy2x: This doesn't just apply to the FBI...soon we'll have presidents, CEOs who grew up in the 60s, and probably did mj or other drugs a few times.
survivorinohio
by René on May. 23, 2014 at 7:19 AM

Some of the best minds are enhanced :)

tossed
by Member on May. 23, 2014 at 7:26 AM

Quoting coolmommy2x: This doesn't just apply to the FBI...soon we'll have presidents, CEOs who grew up in the 60s, and probably did mj or other drugs a few times.

We already have....Bush, Obama, and I think Clinton...not sure about Bill inhaling...ha. 

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on May. 23, 2014 at 7:30 AM
I meant it'll be more common as opposed to one here or there. I should maybe edit that...

Quoting tossed:

We already have....Bush, Obama, and I think Clinton...not sure about Bill inhaling...ha. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)