Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

‘It was my opinion’: Utah man jailed for threatening to cut black teenager’s throat

Posted by on May. 24, 2014 at 12:21 AM
  • 64 Replies

By Arturo Garcia
Friday, May 23, 2014 17:44 EDT

Utah man threatened interracial family [KUTV-TV]

A 70-year-old Utah man was arrested for failing to appear in court in connection with federal hate crimes for threatening a Black teenager living in his neighborhood, KUTV-TV reported on Thursday.

Retired postal worker Robert Keller was charged with two federal misdemeanor counts of criminal interference with a right to fair housing for using both threats and a racial slur against the teen in a letter to both the teenager’s family and their local homeowner’s association.

“[If] it were my daughter, I think I wrote I’d slice his throat,” Keller said in the letter, according to KUTV. “Basically if you don’t remove him I will take care of it for you.”

Keller admitted to KUTV that he wrote the letter in an effort to “open their eyes,” having become upset that the teenager was living with white relatives and socializing with other white residents.

“I said, ‘What is going to happen down the road, when the black kid starts chasing these girls?’” Keller was quoted as saying. “What I seen set me off, when he was walking down the street with a white gal.”

The Salt Lake City Tribune reported that Keller was originally charged with state misdemeanor harassment charges after the teenager’s family used surveillance camera footage to identify Keller in late 2013. The family then took the matter to Tri-State Conference of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, which alerted federal authorities.

Keller’s attorney, Terry Hutchinson, told KUTV that his client was not aware that he was scheduled to be in court to face the additional federal charges, and that prosecutors want to “make this a publicity case.” Keller was arrested on Tuesday on a federal warrant after missing his second appearance, and faces up to one year in prison on each federal count.

“To me, it’s not a threat,” Keller said of his choice of language. “It’s my opinion. Of course, I wrote it down, which was a mistake.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/...

by on May. 24, 2014 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsmoonbeam
by Member on May. 24, 2014 at 12:27 AM
4 moms liked this
OMG what an S.O.B! sounds like hes straght out of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD his name should be BOB EWELL its sad people still think like that moron
Josie_P
by on May. 24, 2014 at 12:29 AM
Wtf!!! I can't deal with the human race anymore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
autodidact
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2014 at 12:30 AM
8 moms liked this

what a deceptively human-shaped pile of reeking excrement this guy is. 

pixie92
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2014 at 12:34 AM
4 moms liked this
Threats are not opinions and his actual opinions are sick. I hope he gets the jail time.
jllcali
by Jane on May. 24, 2014 at 12:44 AM
2 moms liked this
Asshole
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on May. 24, 2014 at 5:55 AM
5 moms liked this

poor baby is having his priviledge taken from him.  

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2014 at 6:13 AM

I wish it was possible to make that vile old man move away.  He sounds like a dangerous person to have in that neighborhood.  

billsfan1104
by Jules on May. 24, 2014 at 7:06 AM
2 moms liked this
I am wondering if he is mentally ill or if these are really his thoughts.
He sounds dangerous and needs to be evaluated or put some place swhere he can do no harm.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on May. 24, 2014 at 7:46 AM
3 moms liked this
I was thinking this also

He does sound dangerous and should be given a mental Eval

Reminds me sorta of the movie theatre shooter (that shot the guy for texting ) only he's fixated on race

Not good for him to be around people

Quoting billsfan1104: I am wondering if he is mentally ill or if these are really his thoughts.
He sounds dangerous and needs to be evaluated or put some place swhere he can do no harm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
morrigan914
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2014 at 7:48 AM
That dick head lives within 15 miles of me 😒
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)