Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

California Judge Says Serial Rapist to Be Released

Posted by on May. 25, 2014 at 8:18 AM
  • 31 Replies

The so-called "Pillowcase Rapist" who attacked at least 40 women in the 1970s and 1980s will be freed and allowed to live in a remote Southern California desert area despite a host of vocal protests, a judge ordered Friday.

Christopher Evans Hubbart, 63, must be released from a state facility by July 7, Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Gilbert Brown ruled.

Hubbart will be permitted to rent a small house near Palmdale, some 45 miles northeast of downtown Los Angeles.

"Now we are preparing for his arrival," said District Attorney Jackie Lacey, who spent months fighting Hubbart's release. "We will do everything within our authority to protect the residents of Los Angeles County from this dangerous predator."

Hubbart will wear a 24-hour, seven-day-a-week GPS monitor on his ankle and will be accompanied by security people every time he goes out in public for the first six months to a year of his release, Lacey said. He will be transported to therapy sessions twice a week.

The judge's decision comes two days after a daylong hearing in Northern California, where Brown heard passionate objections from residents, many of whom drove 350 miles to attend.

Brown said he received an enormous outpouring of emails, petitions, cards, letters and postings on a website set up by Lacey for public comment.

Hubbart has acknowledged raping and assaulting about 40 women between 1971 and 1982, when he was sentenced to 16 years in prison. He got his nickname by using a pillowcase to muffle the screams of some victims.

He was paroled in 1990, but arrested in a new attack just two months later and returned to prison until 1996.

When his term ended, he was deemed a sexually violent predator and confined to a state mental hospital. Doctors at the hospital recently concluded he was fit for release, but few options were available. California laws bar sex offenders from living within 2,000 feet of schools and other places where children congregate, eliminating nearly all urban areas in the state.

Cheryl Holbrook, a resident of the area who belongs to a community group created to fight Hubbart's release, said there are plans to protest at his new home.

Holbrook said she was shaking because of the news, which she said was made worse by memories of being raped as a 14-year-old by two men at knifepoint and impregnated.

"I think it's wrong," Holbrook said. "When this guy commits another crime, the blood's going to be on that judge's shoulders."

Would you want this man living in your town?

by on May. 25, 2014 at 8:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Healthystart30
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2014 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this
No way would I want to live close to him! They already tried to release him once and that did not work! He needs to be locked up!
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2014 at 9:22 AM
I feel bad for the residents of wherever he ends up.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 25, 2014 at 9:32 AM
2 moms liked this

Palmdale is ugly, dry and I can't imagine living there. I hated visiting the place.  I also can't imagine living in a town with this man.

He should not be released.

How does one go from the mindset of what he did, released, did it again, sent to a mental hospital and than freed because he is fit to be free?!?

Hell no.

I would be raising as much hell as I could.  It seems many people did just that yet it didn't work, however.

I would shiver at the thought of this man living any where at all outside four walls, especially near me.

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2014 at 9:35 AM
Indeed

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Palmdale is ugly, dry and I can't imagine living there. I hated visiting the place.  I also can't imagine living in a town with this man.

He should not be released.

How does one go from the mindset of what he did, released, did it again, sent to a mental hospital and than freed because he is fit to be free?!?

Hell no.

I would be raising as much hell as I could.  It seems many people did just that yet it didn't work, however.

I would shiver at the thought of this man living any where at all outside four walls, especially near me.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 25, 2014 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Where is he supposed to go? They're letting him out. He has to go somewhere.
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 25, 2014 at 10:08 AM

smh

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2014 at 10:23 AM

At 63 he might be less dangerous. Or more so. I don't know. It just seems odd to release him knowing that the last time he was released he raped again. Seems pathological to me and you can't fix that. Unless they castrated him. But that doesn't stem the fact that these people don't care if they hurt someone. 

Nicoleb9
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2014 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this
That's pretty much what I was going to say. I wonder what his physical health is like at that age after spending so many years in prison.

Quoting mehamil1:

At 63 he might be less dangerous. Or more so. I don't know. It just seems odd to release him knowing that the last time he was released he raped again. Seems pathological to me and you can't fix that. Unless they castrated him. But that doesn't stem the fact that these people don't care if they hurt someone. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2014 at 10:43 AM
If that's the case, what good is it for society or himself, to be on the outside?

Quoting Nicoleb9: That's pretty much what I was going to say. I wonder what his physical health is like at that age after spending so many years in prison.

Quoting mehamil1:

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2014 at 10:47 AM
2 moms liked this
California must not have a law like we had in Washington where if a panel finds that the person is unable to be rehabilitated, they get sent to a facility that they are never released from.
So, what is the judge supposed to do?

I feel bad for the people in the community where he will go. That must be scary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN