Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Watch: Black ESPN Host Blows Past All PC Warnings & Blasts Racebaiters Who Call Him an ‘Uncle Tom’

Posted by on May. 25, 2014 at 10:32 AM
  • 28 Replies

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/05/141226-stephen-smith-drops-gangbusters-rant-nations-honest-conversation-race/

ETA: I can not seem to make it clicky, sorry!! Also, I changed the subject line to the title of the actual article. 

by on May. 25, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2014 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I absolutely agree with him, or say it better than he just did just now.
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2014 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I do, too.  I edited the subject to match the title of the article, btw:)

LiveinJoy
by on May. 25, 2014 at 10:55 AM
2 moms liked this

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2014 at 10:56 AM
Thank you!!

Quoting LiveinJoy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LiveinJoy
by on May. 25, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Thanks for posting this!

Iconoclast
by on May. 25, 2014 at 11:21 AM
2 moms liked this
Haha, i live in Idaho. People here are so ignorant to how they are viewed by the rest of the country. This argument comes up every so often and as truthful as the commentator is his argument will be used in a certain way. And his argument finished like many others (but that's another story).
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 25, 2014 at 11:35 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't know the backstory, have not heard about the comments Mark Cuban made, or why.

I do, however, agree with what this man said.  

I don't even know who he is.

Rock, meet me!

tiffyhamm
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2014 at 12:11 PM
5 moms liked this
Yup. I watched this entire segment and myself agreeing more with Michael Eric Dyson than Stephen A., but they both made some good points. And like Stephen A. said during this show, this is something thats debated amongst our community on a regular basis. It is complex. On one hand I grew up with my family who tells the boys to dress a certain way and to behave a certain so as to not attract negative attention and/or put themselves in situations that can cause them harm. On the other hand, I also am of the belief that i should not have to answer for what every other black person does, yet that happens...far more often than it should. So, while i can see the "no hoodie, no saggy pants, you wont be looked at as a threat thing," i dont necessarily agree with that, vecause that is simply not true in all cases and we should be able to dress how we like without prejudice. This means i have to teach my children to alter their behavior, dress, speech, etc. They must be taught to behave in a way that would make them appear less threatening, because black men are threatening because they are black so we have to make sure we teach our black men to make white people comfortable. My job is hard enough, i have to teach my children not only to be responsible for their own actions but that of every other black man.

All in all, I agree with Stephen, but I also agree with Michael...a little bit more. I dont like that whole "make everyone comfortable because you come off a certain way because you share the same skin as a few others who did some bad things, or because you share the same skin as others of a group of ppl who are perceived to do bad things."

Even Stephen A. has acknowledged that is an awful way to live, but we have to do it. Michael argues why we have to do it and that we shouldnt have to, but even he does it, so while I do agree with Michael more, I take Stephen's approach, I have to.

Guilty until innocent, all of us. Prove you arent a threat upfront. You answer for the behaviors of those that share your skin. It is what it is.

Quoting Iconoclast: Haha, i live in Idaho. People here are so ignorant to how they are viewed by the rest of the country. This argument comes up every so often and as truthful as the commentator is his argument will be used in a certain way. And his argument finished like many others (but that's another story).
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 25, 2014 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting tiffyhamm: Yup. I watched this entire segment and myself agreeing more with Michael Eric Dyson than Stephen A., but they both made some good points. And like Stephen A. said during this show, this is something thats debated amongst our community on a regular basis. It is complex. On one hand I grew up with my family who tells the boys to dress a certain way and to behave a certain so as to not attract negative attention and/or put themselves in situations that can cause them harm. On the other hand, I also am of the belief that i should not have to answer for what every other black person does, yet that happens...far more often than it should. So, while i can see the "no hoodie, no saggy pants, you wont be looked at as a threat thing," i dont necessarily agree with that, vecause that is simply not true in all cases and we should be able to dress how we like without prejudice. This means i have to teach my children to alter their behavior, dress, speech, etc. They must be taught to behave in a way that would make them appear less threatening, because black men are threatening because they are black so we have to make sure we teach our black men to make white people comfortable. My job is hard enough, i have to teach my children not only to be responsible for their own actions but that of every other black man. All in all, I agree with Stephen, but I also agree with Michael...a little bit more. I dont like that whole "make everyone comfortable because you come off a certain way because you share the same skin as a few others who did some bad things, or because you share the same skin as others of a group of ppl who are perceived to do bad things." Even Stephen A. has acknowledged that is an awful way to live, but we have to do it. Michael argues why we have to do it and that we shouldnt have to, but even he does it, so while I do agree with Michael more, I take Stephen's approach, I have to. Guilty until innocent, all of us. Prove you arent a threat upfront. You answer for the behaviors of those that share your skin. It is what it is.
Quoting Iconoclast: Haha, i live in Idaho. People here are so ignorant to how they are viewed by the rest of the country. This argument comes up every so often and as truthful as the commentator is his argument will be used in a certain way. And his argument finished like many others (but that's another story).

I was hoping you would reply.

You bring new light in to the situation for me, make me think outside the box because, truth be told, I don't live this so I can't know or realize all the different sides of the box.  If that makes sense. 

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2014 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this
True, a white girl from middle America can never truly see the world or its issues from the perspecitve of a black girl from middle America, much less a black girl from the Bronx. But see, the reverse is also just as true. And that fact is, IMO, just as relevant to having an honest dialogue.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting tiffyhamm: Yup. I watched this entire segment and myself agreeing more with Michael Eric Dyson than Stephen A., but they both made some good points. And like Stephen A. said during this show, this is something thats debated amongst our community on a regular basis. It is complex. On one hand I grew up with my family who tells the boys to dress a certain way and to behave a certain so as to not attract negative attention and/or put themselves in situations that can cause them harm. On the other hand, I also am of the belief that i should not have to answer for what every other black person does, yet that happens...far more often than it should. So, while i can see the "no hoodie, no saggy pants, you wont be looked at as a threat thing," i dont necessarily agree with that, vecause that is simply not true in all cases and we should be able to dress how we like without prejudice. This means i have to teach my children to alter their behavior, dress, speech, etc. They must be taught to behave in a way that would make them appear less threatening, because black men are threatening because they are black so we have to make sure we teach our black men to make white people comfortable. My job is hard enough, i have to teach my children not only to be responsible for their own actions but that of every other black man.

All in all, I agree with Stephen, but I also agree with Michael...a little bit more. I dont like that whole "make everyone comfortable because you come off a certain way because you share the same skin as a few others who did some bad things, or because you share the same skin as others of a group of ppl who are perceived to do bad things."

Even Stephen A. has acknowledged that is an awful way to live, but we have to do it. Michael argues why we have to do it and that we shouldnt have to, but even he does it, so while I do agree with Michael more, I take Stephen's approach, I have to.

Guilty until innocent, all of us. Prove you arent a threat upfront. You answer for the behaviors of those that share your skin. It is what it is.

I was hoping you would reply.

You bring new light in to the situation for me, make me think outside the box because, truth be told, I don't live this so I can't know or realize all the different sides of the box.  If that makes sense. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)