Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Parents of transgender kid: This is our story of the transition

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2014 at 9:15 PM
  • 208 Replies
2 moms liked this

Parents of transgender kid: This is our story of the transition

SAN DIEGO, Calif. - A couple in San Diego is sharing the story of their transgender child who became a boy at just 5 years old.

Jeff and Hillary Whittington were honored at the Harvey Milk Diversity Breakfast last week and they shared a video of Ryland's female-to-male transition.

The video includes how Ryland declared she was a boy after a hearing implant and learning how to talk.

His parents embraced the identity --- they cut off his hair, bought new clothes and started referring to Ryland as male.

by on Jun. 1, 2014 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
purpleducky
by Silver Member on Jun. 1, 2014 at 9:20 PM
5 moms liked this
They are awesome parents.
VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Jun. 1, 2014 at 9:23 PM
2 moms liked this

Agreed.

The video is a little long (7 minutes) but I really enjoyed it.

Quoting purpleducky: They are awesome parents.

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jun. 1, 2014 at 9:30 PM
6 moms liked this

I watched the video earlier today.  I sympathize with the quandry; but I do not believe the parents are acting in the best interests of the child.  Gender identity is still an inexact science and I believe the parents are acting imprudently 

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Jun. 1, 2014 at 9:38 PM
10 moms liked this

It's definitely debatable.

The video made me a believer. I think the parents did the right thing.

My 3yo son likes to pretend he's Elsa from Frozen, loves baby dolls, and owns a pink stroller that he pushes around the house endlessly. He will stop perfect strangers on the street so he can coo to their "cute widdle baby" (he LOVES babies). He also loves sports, loves to play in the dirt, is rough and tumble, all skinned knees, and is "all boy" (according to friends and family members who don't know him as well as I do). He is a boy, with a clear feminine soft spot. If one day he starts informing me that he's a girl, I'd like to think I'd do whatever was necessary to make sure he has a happy life.

Quoting snookyfritz:

I watched the video earlier today.  I sympathize with the quandry; but I do not believe the parents are acting in the best interests of the child.  Gender identity is still an inexact science and I believe the parents are acting imprudently  

jllcali
by Jane on Jun. 1, 2014 at 11:03 PM
I can't watch the video

Cute kid
btamilee
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:46 AM
9 moms liked this

I have been lucky enough to experience several round table discussions with straight, gay and transgender high school students.  It was very difficult at times, but very eye opening and often heart breaking.  There are teens in this world who are just lost, and its a time in their life when they really need the love and support of their own parents.  I truly believe you are born the way you are born....gay, straight, bi or transgender. 

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:52 AM
4 moms liked this
This. My son loves pink and would rather be Elsa than Christoff when playing Frozen. But he also plays rough and tumble, throws himself into streams and mud with abandon thinks farts are the funniest thing on earth and is as boy as boy can be. If he ever were to be as adamant as the boy in the OP that he is the wrong gender body I would do exactly as these parents did.

Quoting VooDooB:

It's definitely debatable.

The video made me a believer. I think the parents did the right thing.

My 3yo son likes to pretend he's Elsa from Frozen, loves baby dolls, and owns a pink stroller that he pushes around the house endlessly. He will stop perfect strangers on the street so he can coo to their "cute widdle baby" (he LOVES babies). He also loves sports, loves to play in the dirt, is rough and tumble, all skinned knees, and is "all boy" (according to friends and family members who don't know him as well as I do). He is a boy, with a clear feminine soft spot. If one day he starts informing me that he's a girl, I'd like to think I'd do whatever was necessary to make sure he has a happy life.

Quoting snookyfritz:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JaeSung
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm confused as to how a transition could have occurred. No surgery was had. Only thing is dressing like a boy instead of a girl.
VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:09 AM
4 moms liked this

At this point it's a mental thing. Cutting his hair, letting him dress how he wants, informing friends and family, and referring to him as a male.

I'm sure the physical transition will come as he ages. Baby steps. He hasn't even hit puberty yet.

Quoting JaeSung: I'm confused as to how a transition could have occur.red. No surgery was had. Only thing is dressing like a boy instead of a girl.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:09 AM
4 moms liked this
He is living like a boy, being addressed and treated like a boy. He is happier and no longer conflicted in a way you and I and most of the women here (with a few exceptions) could ever imagine. That is what matters, not whether he has a vagina.

Quoting JaeSung: I'm confused as to how a transition could have occurred. No surgery was had. Only thing is dressing like a boy instead of a girl.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN