Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

New Jersey Baby Dies in Recalled Nap Nanny Chair

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:48 AM
  • 41 Replies
NJ Baby Latest to Die in Recalled Chair

AP

This undated image provided by the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) shows a Nap Nanny baby recliner.

An 8-month-old baby girl in New Jersey is the latest child to die in the recalled infant recliner known as the Nap Nanny. 

The Consumer Product Safety Commission said the Hopatcong baby was secured into the chair by a belt but was found hanging over its side, trapped between the chair and a crib bumper.

The agency is warning parents, again, not to use the chairs. Several children have died in them, the CPSC says.

The Nap Nanny was designed to mimic the curves of a baby car seat, elevating an infant slightly to help reduce reflux, gas, stuffiness or other problems.

The commission says the chairs are not being sold in stores any longer but are still a popular product at yard sales, online auctions or as hand-me-down gifts.

"The products are hazardous and it is illegal to sell or resell them," CPSC says.

The agency did not say when the New Jersey girl died.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/New-Jersey-Baby-Dies-Nap-Nanny-Recalled-Chair-Hopatcong-261434641.html?_osource=outbrain_recirc=obinsite

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:29 AM
14 moms liked this

The babies that have died in this chair is because the idiots called parents keep putting the chair in their cribs. Baby rolls off the chair and gets trapped and smoothers. This is a great product if it's used properly. Like the bumbo chair. Great product - until the chair is placed on a table, and the squirmy 6mo flips off the table on the chair. Like the video monitor. Great product until an idiot parent mounts the camera directly on the crib rail and surprise - the baby strangles itself in the cord. 

I swear people should have to be IQ tested before whelping.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Quoting VooDooB:

The babies that have died in this chair is because the idiots called parents keep putting the chair in their cribs. Baby rolls off the chair and gets trapped and smoothers. This is a great product if it's used properly. Like the bumbo chair. Great product - until the chair is placed on a table, and the squirmy 6mo flips off the table on the chair. Like the video monitor. Great product until an idiot parent mounts the camera directly on the crib rail and surprise - the baby strangles itself in the cord. 

Yep, it's so often not actually the product itself but the manner in which it was used. Reminds me of the baby walkers that had wheels. Parents would put their child in one but wouldn't think to block off access to stairs then when baby was injured or died because he/she attempted to do down the stairs, it was, of course, the fault of the walker. I haven't yet been able to figure out why, when a product is deemed useful and safe for   baby, people think that when the product is in use they no longer have to keep an eye on or even check on their child.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:07 AM
Not sure why but that just made me think of when Buzz Lightyear found out he was "Not a Flying Toy".

Quoting VooDooB:

MicheleJM
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:09 AM

It doesn't look safe in any sense of the word.  Perhaps if you sat next to the baby and watched him...

othermom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:16 AM

I think it may be safe if sat on the floor and the child supervised while in it

LDavis33
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Agree. 

I think part of the problem lies in the fact that parents are always looking for the next product that is going to make things easier for them, or that is going to serve as a temporary "baby sitter" for their little ones.  They don't look at the potential safety risks and they don't take the necessary precautions to eliminate those risks.  

I remember when they recalled the bumbo chair my SIL called me to tell me to throw mine out.  I told her I wasn't going to throw it out because the problem wasn't the chair, it was the parents who chose not to use common sense.

Quoting meriana:

Quoting VooDooB:

Yep, it's so often not actually the product itself but the manner in which it was used. Reminds me of the baby walkers that had wheels. Parents would put their child in one but wouldn't think to block off access to stairs then when baby was injured or died because he/she attempted to do down the stairs, it was, of course, the fault of the walker. I haven't yet been able to figure out why, when a product is deemed useful and safe for   baby, people think that when the product is in use they no longer have to keep an eye on or even check on their child.

Chasesmum3109
by New Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
It says on instuctions not to be used in cribs, also says should not be used when children can sit up. Also bumpers in the crib are supposed to be removed when the child can roll over. Not the companies fault at all, its the parents not following directions.
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

When are they going to start issuing recalls for the idiot parents who endanger these kids buy using the products in un-safe ways not intended by the manufacturers?!  I really am scared for our future because it really seems like with every generation people lose more commons sense!

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:45 AM

:(

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:58 AM

It looks like a great thing. I would set it on the floor. Poor baby. Poor parents. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN