Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Minimum wage increase/ for discussion

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:25 AM
  • 146 Replies
Playing devils advocate a bit here...

An ordinance was just passed in Seattle to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour. Now depending on where you live that number will either shock you or it's not a big deal.

My question is:

Do you think someone say, serving/cooking etc.. fast food should be making the same as say a laborer painting your house?

I use those examples as in his college days DH worked fast food for a short while and now many years later he owns a house painting business. You can't even compare the two as far as physical labor and the amount of work that's put in during an hour.

So what are your thoughts??

Edit #1: I'm not putting down any job at all or making my personal convictions known at all. I posed this for debate purposes. I wrote an example such that I did as I could fully compare the two. That doesn't mean that different work harder or less than others.. It's meant in the general sense...
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
purpleducky
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:27 AM
2 moms liked this
The increase is not automatic. It will take years to fully take effect. Therefore, those who make $15 now should have a wage increase as well.
schatzi869
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:30 AM
5 moms liked this
It doesn't matter what job a person has, I think everyone should earn a livable wage and be able to provide for their families.
stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:32 AM
I hope the slow integration helps raise wages across the board. I think a more apt comparison than unrelated jobs, is the supervisor positions that don't even pay that much now -
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:36 AM
6 moms liked this

You can compare the two.  When you take away the "I did it, everyone else can too" mentality.  Everyone deserves to make a living wage.  Let's get rid of minimum wage and call it a living wage.  There are many and varied reasons why people cannot do better than a fast food job.  These people also deserve the dignity of not having to go to the food bank every month; in order to survive the end of that month.  

Fast food is no longer considered a high school job.  For many it is "the" job.  Whether because they do not have the skills or ability to do better than that job.  I've known people who have worked the Popeye's front counter for 10 years.  Still making less than $10 per hour.  This job is the end of the line for them.  Should they not be able to feed their families or pay rent?

And as far as the labor...fastfood workers work very hard at a fast paced environment.

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:43 AM
I think it's utterly ridiculous that if you use comparative dollar rates across the board, minimum wave has only gone up less than fifty cents in sixty years. We played highest wages in 1968, then they decreased. When people complain about raising minimum wage, they act like we think service jobs should exceed the pay of skilled jobs.
Sparkler16
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:46 AM
$15 an hour for min wage is ridiculous!
jcrew6
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:54 AM
2 moms liked this

Which makes the cost of services and some goods increase. So, the consumer has to pay (for example) the Painter more, AND more for the paint (since the clerk now has to make more)....  So, in the end?  It's not much of an increase in income if you are paying more for goods and services.  

Quoting purpleducky: The increase is not automatic. It will take years to fully take effect. Therefore, those who make $15 now should have a wage increase as well.

jcrew6
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Questions:

If the government orders employers to increase the wage they pay their employees at a time when employers are already not hiring, how will that cause them to hire more employees? How will this HELP? 

When Factories are already moving overseas because they can pay lower wages, why would they build factories here? 

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 9:04 AM
4 moms liked this
If hard labor was a determining factor for wage distribution, things would be vastly different in this country.

Quoting snookyfritz:

You can compare the two.  When you take away the "I did it, everyone else can too" mentality.  Everyone deserves to make a living wage.  Let's get rid of minimum wage and call it a living wage.  There are many and varied reasons why people cannot do better than a fast food job.  These people also deserve the dignity of not having to go to the food bank every month; in order to survive the end of that month.  

Fast food is no longer considered a high school job.  For many it is "the" job.  Whether because they do not have the skills or ability to do better than that job.  I've known people who have worked the Popeye's front counter for 10 years.  Still making less than $10 per hour.  This job is the end of the line for them.  Should they not be able to feed their families or pay rent?

And as far as the labor...fastfood workers work very hard at a fast paced environment.

atlmom2
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 9:09 AM
3 moms liked this

Anyone that knows anything about economics you would know this will make jobs go away and tank the economy.  It will make things much more expensive also.  Businesses will close.  If you want $15 an hour get a skill.  Working fast food is not a skill at all.  Heck college graduates make $15 an hour even.  If you work for a living wage you deserve it.  Fast food doesn't deserve more than minimum or a little more.  Move up to manager, then I can see way more than minimum.  I mean how much does a manager of a fast food restaurant make.  $20 an hour?  Then you expect the burger flippers to make $5 less.  Isn't gonna fly. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)