Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

This is OT, but I wanted to get some feedback from smart ladies, and this is the smartest group on CM :)

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 4:04 PM
  • 54 Replies

I'm contemplating my next career move. So far, I have been... nothing lol. I've worked as a dishwasher, a Wendy's "crew member", a line worker in a battery pack manufacturing plant, a housekeeper, a bank teller and a SAHM. Recently I've been doing some freelance writing and I'm loving it, and it got me thinking... "What if this were my career and I could write about whatever I wanted?"

What I want to do is write children's books (I've got a few ideas I think would be hits), write about topics that I am passionate about (journalism style)... maybe a novel. I'd also consider starting my own publication, if I could find something awesome to publicate (like... making up words because it's fun).

What I want to know from you guys is... is it a stupid idea to get an arts degree?  I need to be hireable in case my crackbrained ideas don't take off in an entrepreneural fashion. I need to be able to use my degree for work, even if it isn't for myself, and I know writing jobs are few and far between.

Is it too big a gamble to take with my family's financial future? 

by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
furbabymum
by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not do it personally. I might start up a blog and do it in my free time with the hope it took off and got me "gigs". I would not rely on writing as a career though.

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Jun. 4, 2014 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

IMHO, getting a degree is never a gamble, but only you know whether you can make it work for your family and circumstances. 

I would love to go back to school and get credentialed, but as I'm still paying student loans (only a few years from paying them off!), I just can't afford a credential program, so for now I am paying myself to get an AS in Early Childhood Education. 

Good luck!! 

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I have an MFA in creative writing and taught writing at the college level for a while.  If you aren't planning on a teaching career, an arts degree may be overkill (and it will cost a lot).  

If you are looking for more work doing actual writing, an arts degree isn't necessarily going to help.  

Do you have an undergraduate degree?  Would this be a master's program?   

supermonstermom
by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Have you thought about teaching?  You could get degree in education wiht a minor in art.  You would have a carrer path that way and what you need to persue what the path you are hoping to take.

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Jun. 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Fair point here. I got my degree in Sociology...and I didn't want to teach soc, and I did not at like the actual research aspect of it. It's pretty much just something I have at this point.

Quoting momtoscott:

I have an MFA in creative writing and taught writing at the college level for a while.  If you aren't planning on a teaching career, an arts degree may be overkill (and it will cost a lot).  

If you are looking for more work doing actual writing, an arts degree isn't necessarily going to help.  

Do you have an undergraduate degree?  Would this be a master's program?   

greenie63
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Believe it or not there's a group on CM for aspiring authors. I joined some time ago but have yet to really do anything since school is so time consuming. Here's the link they may be able to help. 

http://www.cafemom.com/group/1237

AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 4:20 PM

That's the thing, though, I DON'T know if I can make it work. How can you know if you'll be able to land a journalism gig after you complete a degree? How do you know if your blog will take off? Or if you can get a publisher to accept your books? All my favorite authors only made it after they spent years being starving writers and students, and I have a family... I can't do that. 

I know that a writing degree would help me with the freelance work I'm doing now, and the pay is... okay. I could make more than I am making now, but if I did get a degree, all the extra would be going out to student loans unless I could get a higher paying position, or go into business for myself and make more money.

Howcome everything I'm passionate about has to be non-lucrative? lol 

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

IMHO, getting a degree is never a gamble, but only you know whether you can make it work for your family and circumstances. 

I would love to go back to school and get credentialed, but as I'm still paying student loans (only a few years from paying them off!), I just can't afford a credential program, so for now I am paying myself to get an AS in Early Childhood Education. 

Good luck!! 

LiveinJoy
by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Have you considered just getting your undergrad with a concentration in English? Even an associates degree would be beneficial. There are plenty of authors that write best selling novels that have little to know secondary education. = )

jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 4:24 PM
2 moms liked this

If you are looking for financial reward in a degree? Any degree is nice.  But, IMO (and quite a few studies have made the distinction) getting a liberal arts degree won't help you as much as getting a bachelor of science degree. 

If you are looking to invest in something that supports your dream of being a writer?  I would stick to a blog, illustration and writing,  creative writing courses (audit, etc).  JMO. Good Luck

LiveinJoy
by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 4:24 PM

I am completing my masters online. There are nights that I'm exhausted. The best part is I can do my entire course in my pj's, or naked if I really wanted to.

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

That's the thing, though, I DON'T know if I can make it work. How can you know if you'll be able to land a journalism gig after you complete a degree? How do you know if your blog will take off? Or if you can get a publisher to accept your books? All my favorite authors only made it after they spent years being starving writers and students, and I have a family... I can't do that. I know that a writing degree would help me with the freelance work I'm doing now, and the pay is... okay. I could make more than I am making now, but if I did get a degree, all the extra would be going out to student loans unless I could get a higher paying position, or go into business for myself and make more money.Howcome everything I'm passionate about has to be non-lucrative? lol 

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Good luck!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN