Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teacher Who Had Sex With Student Says It Was All His Fault

Posted by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 8:24 AM
  • 62 Replies

Teacher Who Had Sex With Student Says It Was All His Fault (VIDEO)

by Kiri Blakeley

Remember that old Van Halen video "Hot for Teacher"? Yeah, they probably wouldn't be able to make a video like that now. But that doesn't mean there still aren't teens hot for their teacher. And one teacher may likely go to prison because a 16-year-old was hot for her ... and she for him. Brianne Land Altice, a 34-year-old teacher in Utah, admitted that she had sex with a 16-year-old male student twice. She's being charged with rape and forcible sodomy. Never mind that the teen reportedly admitted in a pre-trial hearing that he did his best to get her into bed. He said he made it his "ultimate goal."

Altice said she resisted his advances for a long time -- but finally couldn't. Boo hoo. Not an excuse. She's the adult, he's the teen, she's the teacher, he's the student, end of story. Never mind that he "ultimately broke down her resistance." If she was being sexually harassed, she should have reported it.

But looking at the comments on this story, does this woman deserve the sentence of a rapist? A child molester? The men are saying things like, "Lucky boy!" and "I need to go back to school!" and "This kid deserves a medal!"

We have to admit to ourselves that there are teen boys who want to have sex with an older woman. There are teen girls who want it with older men. This used to be called statutory rape, but now it's just called rape. And, in her case, "forcible sodomy." Forcible. Altice's lawyer argued that the state did not make the case that the sex was not consensual and the teen's reported testimony seems to back that up.

But the state made a good point -- Altice had influence over the student. She could, essentially, make or break him. She had control over his grades, she could discipline him. By any deduction, it is a very unfair power balance.

Additionally, teen boys do not fully understand the ramifications of sex. What if she got pregnant? His life would be unalterably different. What if he got an STD? Sex is not only fun and games. He also may not even be fully cognizant of the feelings of shame and anger that may only hit him when he's older.

While, yes, a 16-year-old and a 34-year-old might be fully legal under some circumstances (look at Courtney Stodden and Doug Hutchison), this was not one of them. An adult has to have the maturity and restraint for both people. She was a teacher, she's being held to a higher standard.

But whether she should go to prison for 20 years or more like a rapist might -- well, that is where it gets complex. Is it a "slap in the face" as one reader commented to people who have been forcibly raped to use this term in these circumstances?

Do you think she should go to prison?

Image via Davis County Jail

by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, she should go to prison.  

BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Prison no.  That is a waste of taxpayer money.  We need to legislators who can define  offences better this is not by any stretch rape.  But it bring the issue of fairness.  For time it is always a problem whether at work or at school that your competition is getting an advantage by having sex with the teacher,boss,supervisor etc.

BrutalTruth
by Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Whwn I was 16, I fully understood the ramifications of sex. Not that this is in any way okay, but come on, he's sixteen, not eleven. That being said, if I understood correctly, she's being charged with rape(which is insulting, btw) simply because she's a teacher? I don't think that is fair. Yeah, she should go to jail, but not for the same crime as someone who forced themselves on someone.
Avarah
by Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 8:50 AM
5 moms liked this
And if the genders were reversed y'all would be screaming for the male teacher to be castrated, then drawn and quartered.

You're acting like neither of these poor widdle innocents could contain themselves. Sorry, but that's bullshit. Adults, especially those who WORK with children, should not view children as potential sex partners. Period. Full stop. This is a hard line that we do not cross. Children are not able to give INFORMED consent. You said so yourself - he wouldn't have thought of the ramifications of his actions.

She is culpable and she is a child rapist. There is no such thing as consensual sex with a child.
Lottie925
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 8:51 AM
Ok... I find the language confusing. I understand statutory rape. It gives an understanding hat it's because of age. But "forcible sodomy"?

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 8:54 AM

I'm confused too.  Who was forcibly sodomized?

Quoting Lottie925: Ok... I find the language confusing. I understand statutory rape. It gives an understanding hat it's because of age. But "forcible sodomy"?

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Wow.  I just don't know.  Rape?  Prison?  Forcible sodomy?  16 yr olds can be very persuasive.  And sexy.  And as an almost 33 yr old, I don't feel way more grown up than I did as a teen lol.  I don't make the same choices, but nothing magical happened when I turned 18.  

MelanieMans
by New Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 8:56 AM
Hahahaha! When I was 16 I was afraid to have sex fir fear of getting pregnant. I understood the ramifications. If you are 16 and cant understand thst then you are an idiot. He's not a little elementary school boy, he's the age lots of kids loose their virginity.

Quoting Avarah: And if the genders were reversed y'all would be screaming for the male teacher to be castrated, then drawn and quartered.

You're acting like neither of these poor widdle innocents could contain themselves. Sorry, but that's bullshit. Adults, especially those who WORK with children, should not view children as potential sex partners. Period. Full stop. This is a hard line that we do not cross. Children are not able to give INFORMED consent. You said so yourself - he wouldn't have thought of the ramifications of his actions.

She is culpable and she is a child rapist. There is no such thing as consensual sex with a child.
Lottie925
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 8:58 AM
If this were my DD... I would be upset and freaked out if she were throwing herself at a male teacher... But I would expect the teacher to conduct himself professionally. I would still feel he took advantage of an impressionable teen. I remember we had a health teacher in middle school who was young, cool, and handsome. I never came on to him... And 12 is different from 16, but I know a lot of girls would have been on cloud 9 if he so much as smiled or complimented them (about perfectly professional things).

I don't know about jail, given that he admits that he was so persistent, and I don't know details of the story. But take away the teaching license for sure. Of course if it were my DD and a male teacher? I would probably be screaming jail.
Lottie925
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 8:59 AM
And if he was willing and initiating it, how was it forcible?

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

I'm confused too.  Who was forcibly sodomized?

Quoting Lottie925: Ok... I find the language confusing. I understand statutory rape. It gives an understanding hat it's because of age. But "forcible sodomy"?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)