Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Student burned due to school policy banning sunscreen

Posted by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 5:35 PM
  • 83 Replies

SAN ANTONIO (KSAT/CNN) - A woman who said skin cancer runs in her family was upset after her 10-year-old daughter came back from a field trip sunburned because of a school policy that doesn't allow sunscreen.

"It just doesn't make sense," Christy Riggs said. "When you have a school field trip or a field day, which they're out there for an extended period of time, they should be allowed to carry sunscreen and reapply."

The policy of the Northeast Independent School District is that sunscreen is not allowed on school grounds without a doctor's note because it is considered a medication.

"Typically, sunscreen is a toxic substance, and we can't allow toxic things in to be in our schools," Northeast ISD spokeswoman Aubrey Chancellor said. "We have to look at the safety of all of our students, and we can't allow children to share sunscreen. They could possibly have an allergic reaction. They could ingest it. It's really a dangerous situation."

Chancellor said parents who know their children may be outdoors should send them to school fully covered in sunscreen.

Riggs said her father recently died from skin cancer.

"Where do you draw the line?" she asked. "Do we say no hand sanitizer? Do we allow them to stop school glue? When you have several hundred children on a field day being burnt, then we have to ask ourselves, 'What do you want? Do we want them to be safe or not?'"

Northeast ISD said every year it reviews school policies, and it may revisit the policy on sunscreen.

Link to video

http://www.fox8live.com/story/25705641/student-burned-due-to-school-policy-banning-sunscreen

by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 5:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SavanasMama08
by Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 5:36 PM
2 moms liked this
I think banning sunscreen is stupid. And even if you apply it before it still doesn't last all day.
-42-
by Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 5:38 PM
Mine have usually been fine with the morning coating of sunscreen. If it was a big issue with me, I would have made arrangements with the school and their doctor if necessary. I know their pedi would gladly send a note for them if asked.
LiveinJoy
by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 5:43 PM
I suspect there's ore to this story.
lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 5:45 PM
3 moms liked this

I think the mother, being so worried about skin cancer, should have had a dr note on file allowing the daughter to use sunscreen.

I have to fill out a form stating that daycare has permission to apply sunscreen.on my children.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 5:48 PM
3 moms liked this

Well, how stupid is that?  That is a parental decision.  We are whiteys here, and let me tell you, sunscreen WOULD be used, even if I have to show up and apply it myself.

Of course, I use the safer kind sold in the health food store, but still..a "medication"?  Get serious.

Big Brother is out of control. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 5:52 PM

There really isn't. My daughter's old Catholic school had the same policy; they needed a doctor's note and the sunscreen had to be kept with the nurse.

Quoting LiveinJoy: I suspect there's ore to this story.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 5:56 PM
Whitey McWhiterson over here saying no doubt. Skin cancer doesn't just run through my family, it bounds and leaps and dances and makes rude gestures as it passes.
I stopped going into the sun at seventeen when my father had his third skin cancer removed. If be furious if my kid came home burnt but I would have taken steps before then to try to keep that from happening. So I would be even more furious if he was burnt anyway.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Well, how stupid is that?  That is a parental decision.  We are whiteys here, and let me tell you, sunscreen WOULD be used, even if I have to show up and apply it myself.

Of course, I use the safer kind sold in the health food store, but still..a "medication"?  Get serious.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Whitey McWhiterson.  Heh heh. 

I've not been in the sun either, really ever, unprotected.  My skin looks great for my age.  I looked 25 until I was well over 40. 

I went to Jamaica with two friends when we were all in our twenties.  I wore sun block every day; they laughed and mocked me.  I enjoyed my vacation, while they remained blistered and in bed after day 2. 

So, you bet I'd protect my kids. 

Quoting AdrianneHill: Whitey McWhiterson over here saying no doubt. Skin cancer doesn't just run through my family, it bounds and leaps and dances and makes rude gestures as it passes. I stopped going into the sun at seventeen when my father had his third skin cancer removed. If be furious if my kid came home burnt but I would have taken steps before then to try to keep that from happening. So I would be even more furious if he was burnt anyway.
Quoting TranquilMind:

LiveinJoy
by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never known a nurse to travel on field trips. Also, it seems odd to me that a school would plan an outdoors event KNOWING sunscreen is a necessity without allowing kids to apply it. Even if a nurse attended it would take a ridiculous amount of time for the nurse to reapply sunscreen.

I think it's a dumb rule. I would rather my daughter miss a field trip than risk a sunburn. Or I might ask to chaperon so I could apply sunscreen as needed.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

There really isn't. My daughter's old Catholic school had the same policy; they needed a doctor's note and the sunscreen had to be kept with the nurse.

Quoting LiveinJoy: I suspect there's ore to this story.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jun. 5, 2014 at 6:24 PM

What's the rest of the story?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN