Student burned due to school policy banning sunscreen
SAN ANTONIO (KSAT/CNN) - A woman who said skin cancer runs in her family was upset after her 10-year-old daughter came back from a field trip sunburned because of a school policy that doesn't allow sunscreen.
"It just doesn't make sense," Christy Riggs said. "When you have a school field trip or a field day, which they're out there for an extended period of time, they should be allowed to carry sunscreen and reapply."
The policy of the Northeast Independent School District is that sunscreen is not allowed on school grounds without a doctor's note because it is considered a medication.
"Typically, sunscreen is a toxic substance, and we can't allow toxic things in to be in our schools," Northeast ISD spokeswoman Aubrey Chancellor said. "We have to look at the safety of all of our students, and we can't allow children to share sunscreen. They could possibly have an allergic reaction. They could ingest it. It's really a dangerous situation."
Chancellor said parents who know their children may be outdoors should send them to school fully covered in sunscreen.
Riggs said her father recently died from skin cancer.
"Where do you draw the line?" she asked. "Do we say no hand sanitizer? Do we allow them to stop school glue? When you have several hundred children on a field day being burnt, then we have to ask ourselves, 'What do you want? Do we want them to be safe or not?'"
Northeast ISD said every year it reviews school policies, and it may revisit the policy on sunscreen.
Link to video