Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teacher Taped Kids' Mouths Shut in "Quiet Game": Officials

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 3:58 AM
  • 16 Replies

The teacher has been fired

By Sheldon Dutes
|  Thursday, Jun 5, 2014  |  Updated 9:50 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

A substitute teacher in New Jersey won't be allowed to fill in again at an elementary school after she allegedly taped shut the mouths of several students last week, officials say. Sheldon Dutes reports

A substitute teacher in New Jersey won't be allowed to fill in again at an elementary school after she allegedly taped shut the mouths of several students last week, officials say. 

The teacher was working at the Winfield Scott Elementary School in Elizabeth and placed decorative tape over the mouths of five students during a "quiet game" after lunch, according to parents and officials. 

One of the students, Angelique Correa Henderson, said she felt "pressured and scared" as the teacher taped her mouth "because we were jabbering too much." 

"My heart kept on beating fast," she said.

Angelique's father, Munford Henderson, is outraged. 

"I don't understand what she was thinking," he said. "We're talking about kids. You're sworn to protect and teach, not to hurt them and put them in fear." 

Other parents at the school were equally concerned. 

"You don't do that to anybody, especially kids," said Marie Yacinthe. "You don't do that." 

As police and state officials investigate, Angelique's father wants to make sure the teacher is permanently barred from the classroom.

"She does not need to be teaching and being around kids if she can't control her emotions and the way she presents herself around kids," he said.

The teacher has been taken off the list of substitutes for consideration at the school, officials said. She had no previous record of issues or difficulties.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/national-international/Teacher-Duct-Tapes-Students-Mouth-Shut-Quiet-Game-262044691.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_PHBrand

by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 3:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
denise3680
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 7:14 AM
3 moms liked this

when I was in school  they still did spankings, these kids do not know fear:/ 

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I hope they pull her teachers license.  What an asshole

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:13 AM

This!!

Quoting denise3680:

when I was in school  they still did spankings, these kids do not know fear:/ 

LoveMyDog
by Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:54 PM

If it was the regular classroom teacher who had tried everything else and had been discussing the problem with the parents I could see trying tape to finally get the point across, but a substitute shouldn't pull a stunt like this. NO!  OTOH the parents sound like fools who have created the problem by letting their little snowflake do just whatever they please.

AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:05 PM

I could see my kids enjoying this if it were fun and lighthearted, not as a punishment. Hell, yesterday they taped their mouths shut just because it's fun.

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Are we talking duct tape or like one piece of scotch tape?

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:14 PM

you wouldn't think teacher training programs wouldn't need to point out that this is unacceptable, would you? 

teri4lance
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:28 PM

lol scared and heart beating fast over a piece of tape seems a bit melodramatic 

shoot - i had tape on my mouth a few times growing up. it's not that big a deal. it's no wonder kids are flipping the fuck out as teens so much more now - they are being coddled and babied all the way thru school, and when shit gets real in high school and college they are completely uneqipped to deal with anything scary or uncomfortable. 

Aslen
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:30 PM
Absolutely unacceptable
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Oh for crying out loud.  Decorative tape on the mouth?  The kid talking sounds like she was coached.  I've taped the mouth of one of the kids I nannied for.  I made it up to look like mummy tape.  He wouldn't stop stopping his chores to chat, so I put tape on his mouth to deter him from stopping.  After I put the little strips on his mouth, he walked around doing his chores with his arms straight out in front of him like a mummy.  He thought it was hysterical, and it worked to keep him focused on chores.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)