Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Bulletproof Blankets Are Here: Would You Put One in Your Kid's Backpack?

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:39 AM
  • 38 Replies

Bulletproof Blankets Are Here: Would You Put One in Your Kid's Backpack?

by Jeanne Sager

bodyguard blanketAll right Mom, what did you pack in your child's backpack this morning before sending them off to school? Some pencils? Maybe a folder or two? How about a bulletproof blanket?

Yes, they're a real thing, and what's more, the Bodyguard Blanket is made just for kids, complete with "incredibly strong materials [to] catch and deform the bullet."

Sounds ... terrifying.

Which is exactly the message you're sending your kids if you're buying them a bulletproof blanket to take to school. That they aren't safe. That life is uncertain.

At times, it may feel that way, but that's the last thing experts want us imparting to our kids. After the Newtown shooting, they all told us we need to reassure our kids, to tell them things were going to be all right -- not to scare them more.

Even though we're scared, we need to act rationally; our kids depend on it.

The Bodyguard was invented by a dad who was horrified by the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting -- as we all were. His website urges parents to buy because -- he says -- school shootings are on the rise and, "Our children, who attend pre-school to 12th grade and college, as well as thousands of dedicated teachers, continue to be at risk from these attacks while at school each day."

With fear-mongering comments like that, how can you not want to pony up ... or urge your local school district to put in a bulk order (prices go down if you order a ton)?

Well, consider this: when the Pew Research Center actually looked at gun violence rates in America last spring -- months AFTER Sandy Hook -- they found gun-related homicides and crime are actually DOWN "strikingly" over rates 20 years prior. And according to CDC statistics, during the 2009-2010 school year, the odds of a student (age 5-18) being the victim of a school-associated homicide was one in 2.5 million. In comparison, the odds of a 5- to 19-year-old being killed in a motor vehicle accident in 2010 were 1 in 16,000.

If we really want to protect our kids, we don't need to buy them bulletproof blankets.

We need to keep them out of cars and buses.

But that's a whole other kettle of fish ...

Would you get your kids a "bodyguard blanket"? What do you think it would do to them?

Image via Bodyguard Blanket

by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:44 AM
4 moms liked this

Hell no. I won't let the media scare me into buying stupid crap like this. With our parents the media scared them by convincing them that Russia was going to nuke them, resulting in school drills and people dropping tons of cash in to building and stocking bomb shelters. Violence isn't any worse than its every been, we just have every ounce of it poured into our living rooms all day because we're too scared to turn off the news.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:41 AM

No.  

momof31995
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:42 AM
3 moms liked this
It wouldn't be a bad idea to out these in class rooms at the ready but to send them in back packs and scaring the hell out of the kids seems ridiculous. The is a difference in being prepared for anything and paranoia
dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:11 AM

nope

illegallyblonde
by Lawyerupbeeches on Jun. 6, 2014 at 3:39 PM
I wouldn't get them one to put in their backpack but if the school wants to get them to keep in classrooms etc, then I would support that. I know schools have fire drills and such, do they have shooting drills?
erika9009
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Quoting illegallyblonde: I wouldn't get them one to put in their backpack but if the school wants to get them to keep in classrooms etc, then I would support that. I know schools have fire drills and such, do they have shooting drills?

If we need shooting drills in schools, we need to change the mental health laws back to allow involuntary mental incarceration.

All of these shooting have one thing in common,

They were done by a known crazy person.  If mental incarceration is voluntary, a crazy person would be crazy to volunteer.

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

mlpcrusader
by Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 4:16 PM
The school my daughter went to in first grade did shooting drills. It was pretty unnerving. ..but I'd rather them drill than freak out and not be prepared.

Quoting erika9009:

Quoting illegallyblonde: I wouldn't get them one to put in their backpack but if the school wants to get them to keep in classrooms etc, then I would support that. I know schools have fire drills and such, do they have shooting drills?

If we need shooting drills in schools, we need to change the mental health laws back to allow involuntary mental incarceration.

They were done by a known crazy person.  If mental incarceration is voluntary, a crazy person would be crazy to volunteer.

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this

No this would do nothing especially if they truly wanted to kill my child.

erika9009
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 4:26 PM

I guess that is a good thing to be prepared.

I was acutally trying to point out that drills, gun bans, and the like are a "band aid" to the real problem of mentally ill people getting guns or kitchen knives.

Quoting mlpcrusader: The school my daughter went to in first grade did shooting drills. It was pretty unnerving. ..but I'd rather them drill than freak out and not be prepared.
Quoting erika9009:

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

mlpcrusader
by Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 4:39 PM
You are right, I meant to touch on your point but my whiny 5 year old distracted me.

It is sad we have to have drills for these things, and though it would be nice to go back to being able to lock up people involuntarily, I could see now a days people committing a spited ex, ex friends, etc. It's a catch 22. Mental health in America is a joke really.

Quoting erika9009:

I guess that is a good thing to be prepared.

I was acutally trying to point out that drills, gun bans, and the like are a "band aid" to the real problem of mentally ill people getting guns or kitchen knives.

Quoting mlpcrusader: The school my daughter went to in first grade did shooting drills. It was pretty unnerving. ..but I'd rather them drill than freak out and not be prepared.

Quoting erika9009:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN