Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Onlookers allegedly steal groceries from woman killed in crash

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:01 AM
  • 26 Replies

A 23-year-old mother was killed and her two young children suffered injuries in a wreck Wednesday, Houston police said.

The woman's sons, ages 4 and 6, were in the backseat and were transferred to a hospital with broken bones but no life-threatening injuries, said HPD spokesman Victor Senties.

The mother failed to yield when she was leaving a private drive around 5 p.m., Senties said.

She then lost control of her Toyota 4Runner and hit a tree after a Mercedes E320 traveling northbound at 9600 Fondren Road clipped her. Police said she was travelling at a high speed.

According to ABC 13 news, eyewitnesses told police they saw people steal groceries out of the dead woman's SUV.

The TV station said the driver had attended a ceremony at her 4-year-old's elementary school, went to a grocery store, dropped off a friend and then crashed her car on the way home.

She was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the Mercedes was not injured.

Senties said if investigators determine items were stolen from the vehicle they could pursue criminal charges against the perpetrators, but he said police did not have any information in about stolen groceries.

Troy Lamerson, a Houston resident who works near where the wreck happened, said he was stunned to hear onlookers might have stolen groceries from her car.

"Why would you take somebody's stuff who got hit by a car? That's crazy, that's mean," Lamerson said.

But Savannah Roberts, who lives close to the scene of the accident, said she was not surprised.

"There is a lot of people you just can't trust," Roberts said. "I've seen worse in this area."

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Onlookers-allegedly-steal-groceries-from-woman-5531076.php

by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Insensitive, but realists.

Once it's in the tow yard, they'd take it.

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

They were probably thinking she wasn't going home to cook. I would like to think if it is true, it was after the people were taken to the hospital. In reality some people might just need the food.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:10 AM
That is horrible:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jcrew6
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:15 AM
2 moms liked this
Selfish, despicable behavior from a bunch of low life senseless idiots.
oddgirl
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting dawnie1:

They were probably thinking she wasn't going home to cook. I would like to think if it is true, it was after the people were taken to the hospital. In reality some people might just need the food.

Yes, there are hungry people that need food and take their opportunities where they find them.

If the report is true I would hope they took the groceries out after the kids were removed from the car.  I would hate to think it occured before the EMT's arrived - mom dead, kids injured and crying in the car and strangers reaching in to grab the groceries. 

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:23 AM

I gotta go with that scenario. Anything else is just too horrible.

Quoting oddgirl:

Quoting dawnie1:

Yes, there are hungry people that need food and take their opportunities where they find them.

If the report is true I would hope they took the groceries out after the kids were removed from the car.  I would hate to think it occured before the EMT's arrived - mom dead, kids injured and crying in the car and strangers reaching in to grab the groceries. 

Peaceful.chaos
by Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:28 AM
A guy a grew up with was driving to the bank to deposit money from his shift when he crashed on the highway. He was actually ejected from the vehicle. When the cops arrived the money was nowhere to be found. They think someone stopped and took the money and didn't even bother calling 911. The world is a messed up place.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:38 AM

A guy you grew up with? That is so messed up. Sorry that happened.

Quoting Peaceful.chaos: A guy a grew up with was driving to the bank to deposit money from his shift when he crashed on the highway. He was actually ejected from the vehicle. When the cops arrived the money was nowhere to be found. They think someone stopped and took the money and didn't even bother calling 911. The world is a messed up place.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:43 AM

That's disgusting

WesternNYmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Some people have no compassion. This is sickening. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)