Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Guns in Target?

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:32 AM
  • 196 Replies

Sorry, Gun Activists, These Moms Don’t Want Assault Rifles in Target’s Baby Aisle

The debate between gun control advocates and open-carry activists has the big-box retailer in the crosshairs.

(Photo: @MomsDemand/Twitter)

Staff Writer Liz Dwyer has written about race, parenting, and social justice for several national publications. She was previously education editor at GOOD.

It looks like Texas Open Carry and its fellow gun advocates across the country are fed up with blowback from restaurants where they’ve been showing up with semiautomatic assault rifles strapped across their bodies. Now the firearm enthusiasts have a new store in their crosshairs: Target. As the photo above shows, they’re even hanging out in the store’s baby products aisle—and activist group Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America isn’t taking the firepower display lightly.

The grassroots organization is petitioning Target executives to issue a gun sense policy: Don’t bring visible weapons in stores. The group, which started after the December 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary, has successfully lobbied Chipotle, Starbucks, Chili’s, Jack in the Box, and Sonic to request that customers not openly carry weapons in their businesses.

(Photo: MomsDemandAction/Facebook)

On their Facebook page, the mom activists say they have gotten reports of open-carry incidents at Target stores in Texas, Alabama, Ohio, North Carolina, Washington, Wisconsin, and Virginia. That’s because, says the group, “Target, which boasts on its website that between 80 percent and 90 percent of its customers are women, has no restrictions on customers carrying guns in its stores.”

“Moms have their eye on Target because it’s a place we take our children to shop—and we’ve been disturbed by some of the demonstrations that gun extremists have held with loaded rifles inside and outside some stores,” Erika Soto Lamb, a spokeswoman for the organization, told the Wall Street Journal. “Assault rifles have no place in the baby aisle.” 

The group says that because many states don’t prohibit people from walking around with loaded weapons, “it’s up to companies themselves to protect their customers when the law won’t.” As with previous campaigns, it has taken to social media, encouraging supporters of the campaign to tweet with the hashtag #OffTarget.

“I just want to buy my socks and lip gloss in peace. I don’t need to live in fear as I decide between Hanes or Fruit of the Loom. #OffTarget,” tweeted user @DiscoChristie. Another, @PaladinCornelia, wrote “.@Target you stopped selling toy guns that look realistic, but you allow openly carried assault rifles? What gives? #OffTarget.”

So far Target doesn’t seem to be swayed.

“The safety and security of our guests and team members is our highest priority,” the company’s spokeswoman, Molly Snyder told the Journal. “Target does not sell firearms or ammunition, and while I do not have information specific to this organization to share, what I can tell you is that Target is committed to following all state and federal laws.”

As for Open Carry Texas, it’s now out to prove that not all ladies—whether or not they have children—are against guns. The weapons advocates have launched their own group, OCT: Women. “This is a brand-new site for women that believe in the quest, along with our great American men, in upholding our constitution—namely our 2nd amendment right as this page puts it as the subject in hand,” reads the first post on the page.

Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America founder Shannon Watts is optimistic that her group will prevail. “When Americans actually see what’s happening, they get angry,” Watts told the Journal. “Some of this is about showing the public what’s going on and the implication of these lax laws.”

by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LDavis33
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:41 AM
9 moms liked this

As a Canadian, I do not understand, nor will I ever, Americans obsession with guns.  I've been schooled in American history (thanks in part to the lovely ladies on this site) and on the 2nd amendment in particular and I still cannot comprehend why Americans feel this need to wear a gun as if it were nothing more than a fashion accessory.

And after reading an article in the newspaper about employees at a Target store in S.C. finding a loaded handgun in a toy aisle it mystifies me even more.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/loaded-9-mm-handgun-found-among-superhero-toys-at-target-store-in-myrtle-beach-south-carolina-262034851.html

meriana
by Platinum Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:47 AM
12 moms liked this

I'm beginning to believe this is far less about 2nd Amendment rights and far more about a, I'll show you attitude. No one has ever suggested the 2nd Amendment be repealed but anytime even a little common sense concerning guns is brought up, it quickley becomes all about the 2nd Amendment rather than the problem at hand, whatever is seen as, or is the problem. I kind of worry about people who feel the need to carry a rifle slung across their body everywhere they go and every time they leave their home, reminds me of photos of those in armed camps.

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:53 AM
5 moms liked this

I believe because the anti gun groups are pulling these banning bullshit from stores you are seeing what will happen.  They are now proving a point.  I carry a gun and you would have no clue I had one.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I thought this was going to be about the gun found in the toy aisle of a Target in SC. Scary!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GLWerth
by Gina on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:56 AM
3 moms liked this

I'm born and raised here and I don't get it.

My grandfather was an avid deer hunter. He had his hunting rifle and he used it annually. He didn't feel the need to carry it everywhere he went. He wasn't afraid of all of the people around him.

Quoting LDavis33:

As a Canadian, I do not understand, nor will I ever, Americans obsession with guns.  I've been schooled in American history (thanks in part to the lovely ladies on this site) and on the 2nd amendment in particular and I still cannot comprehend why Americans feel this need to wear a gun as if it were nothing more than a fashion accessory.

And after reading an article in the newspaper about employees at a Target store in S.C. finding a loaded handgun in a toy aisle it mystifies me even more.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/loaded-9-mm-handgun-found-among-superhero-toys-at-target-store-in-myrtle-beach-south-carolina-262034851.html

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Scaring people is effective protest?

Quoting numbr1wmn:

I believe because the anti gun groups are pulling these banning bullshit from stores you are seeing what will happen.  They are now proving a point.  I carry a gun and you would have no clue I had one.

GLWerth
by Gina on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:07 AM
7 moms liked this

They're taking their cues from defiant three year olds...if you say I can't I'M GONNA ANYWAY BECAUSE I WANNA!

That's all it is, a tantrum.

Quoting snookyfritz:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:08 AM
13 moms liked this
Assault rifles shouldn't be carried around casually to "prove a point". The fact that people are taking dangerous weapons like this so lightly is proof to me they aren't responsible enough to handle them. A concealed weapon is different exactly because we don't know you have it. You're not waving it around like it's your dick just "because you can". These jags are giving the rest of you a bad name and you should call them out on their stupid, irresponsible bullshit.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

And looking at these guys, we should be scared.  

Quoting GLWerth:

I'm born and raised here and I don't get it.

My grandfather was an avid deer hunter. He had his hunting rifle and he used it annually. He didn't feel the need to carry it everywhere he went. He wasn't afraid of all of the people around him.

Quoting LDavis33:

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Its just as affective as a girl being vulgar and idiotic with a protest. BOTH are stupid.

Quoting snookyfritz:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)