Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

"If you haven't been in the military..." - edit for clarity

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2014 at 10:05 AM
KK
  • 123 Replies

'If you haven't been in the military shut up and keep your opinion to yourself.'

----------------------------------------- 

What do you think of this sentiment?  Do you think only those without military experience have no right to an opinion about it or how it works?  

If you do, how will that gel with the reality that more and more of our candidates/politicians that work on military issues will have no military experience of their own?   

by on Jun. 7, 2014 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 10:24 AM
7 moms liked this

If you haven't been in the military you shouldn't pass judgement on the actions of those that have served our country. You should not claim to know what a soldier has gone through and you shouldn't claim you understand how the military works.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jun. 7, 2014 at 10:26 AM
2 moms liked this

What if their actions aren't done during their service?  Such as killing their wife, or crossing into a foreign country with illegal guns?  Since you want a new rule that defines what and when people can respond can you help firm up the rules surrounding it.  

Quoting mikiemom:

If you haven't been in the military you shouldn't pass judgement on the actions of those that have served our country. You should not claim to know what a soldier has gone through and you shouldn't claim you understand how the military works.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jun. 7, 2014 at 10:27 AM
3 moms liked this
I have never served but I know how the military works. I've been an Army brat since birth, now a Marine wife, & I've worked on multiple bases. I would have served myself if I could have.

So yes, if something is happening that deal with the military I will give my opinion. I also usually ask my husband (Navy brat and Marine now for 10 years) his opinion as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

as far as the ex marine crossing a border with guns - he was not in the military at the time he was an ex-marine, no military standing. I don't want  new rules. What I want is for the group of folks who either weren't qualified to serve or chose not to for what-ever reason to stop judging the actions of an active duty soldier in a war zone as they simply have no frame of reference to compare.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

What of their actions aren't done during their service?  Such as killing their wife, or crossing into a foreign country with illegal guns?  Since you want a new rule that defines what and when people can respond can you help firm up the rules surrounding it.  

Quoting mikiemom:

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Jun. 7, 2014 at 10:32 AM
4 moms liked this

So, wait, we're only allowed to have opinions about things with which we have direct experience? 

Or is the military special?  

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jun. 7, 2014 at 10:33 AM
2 moms liked this
As what if those opinions come from those in their life who ARE military. Their opinions come from the fact that their father served in Vietnam with McCain and their husband has deployed multiple times to the Middle East. And BOTH of those people think the soldier is a traitorous fool.

Quoting mikiemom:

as far as the ex marine crossing a border with guns - he was not in the military at the time he was an ex-marine, no military standing. I don't want  new rules. What I want is for the group of folks who either weren't qualified to serve or chose not to for what-ever reason to stop judging the actions of an active duty soldier in a war zone as they simply have no frame of reference to compare.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

What of their actions aren't done during their service?  Such as killing their wife, or crossing into a foreign country with illegal guns?  Since you want a new rule that defines what and when people can respond can you help firm up the rules surrounding it.  

Quoting mikiemom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 10:35 AM

You have no clue what it is like to be deployed ot a war zone. Second hand knowledge does not compare.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley: As what if those opinions come from those in their life who ARE military. Their opinions come from the fact that their father served in Vietnam with McCain and their husband has deployed multiple times to the Middle East. And BOTH of those people think the soldier is a traitorous fool.
Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

Quoting mikiemom:

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

that is not what was said. What was said was if you have not served in a war zone you can not judge the actions of someone who has. This is why military members are subject to the UCMJ and not the civilian code of law.

Quoting anxiousschk:

So, wait, we're only allowed to have opinions about things with which we have direct experience? 

Or is the military special?  

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 10:40 AM
2 moms liked this
Eh, I'm in the military and my opinion on many things differs from a majority of members. I think that is just indicative of the fact that any one member or even group of members shouldn't speak on behalf of us. I differ from the majority, but not from everyone I serve with.
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jun. 7, 2014 at 10:41 AM
2 moms liked this
I have NEVER once claimed to know what it's like and will never claim such a thing.

However if I share what my husband or father thinks, their opinions do matter and I take their opinions more seriously than some stranger on the internet.

No matter what you believe; wives, sons, daughters, mothers, etc do have opinions of military affairs because their loved ones are serving. Those opinions are valid whether you believe so or not. Those opinions are based off of first hand experience that is shared with them and to disregard their validity is silly.

Every experience in life influences our opinion whether it's first hand, secondhand, or passed through the years of family tradition.
Quoting mikiemom:

You have no clue what it is like to be deployed ot a war zone. Second hand knowledge does not compare.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley: As what if those opinions come from those in their life who ARE military. Their opinions come from the fact that their father served in Vietnam with McCain and their husband has deployed multiple times to the Middle East. And BOTH of those people think the soldier is a traitorous fool.

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

Quoting mikiemom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)