Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Are Christians against IVF?

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2014 at 5:26 PM
  • 135 Replies
I was just told by my sister-in-law to not mention to their family's aunt that I've conceived using IVF because she's a strict Catholic and would consider it an abomination. WTH ??? Seriously? That seems a little extreme. Do any of you know if theres any truth to this?
by on Jun. 7, 2014 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommaGreenhalge
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 5:31 PM
There are some that are. I am devout and theologically conservative and have no problem with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jun. 7, 2014 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never herard of that. What a dumb ass thing to be against.

gdiamante
by Silver Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Yes, there's some truth to it. There are old-school Catholics who believe if you can conceive naturally, then have as many kids as you can, but if you cannot conceive naturally then you should not do anything to fight that and should adopt or remain childless. I had several family friends who were this way, to the point that sexual intercourse also was strictly for conception and if the couple was infertile, sex was off-limits.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Wow I didn't know that or have heard that before. So if you're done having kids is sex off limits then too? 

Quoting gdiamante:

Yes, there's some truth to it. There are old-school Catholics who believe if you can conceive naturally, then have as many kids as you can, but if you cannot conceive naturally then you should not do anything to fight that and should adopt or remain childless. I had several family friends who were this way, to the point that sexual intercourse also was strictly for conception and if the couple was infertile, sex was off-limits.

gdiamante
by Silver Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 6:17 PM

According to that particular family friend, yes!

Any wonder the marriage ended in divorce? And he pined for his ex for the rest of his life (they're both gone now).

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Wow I didn't know that or have heard that before. So if you're done having kids is sex off limits then too? 

Quoting gdiamante:

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

That's really interesting! I'm Jewish and sex is considered a mitzvah, necessary and integral for a happy healthy marriage. I could see where lack of intimacy could cause a divorce. Thank you for answering.

Quoting gdiamante:

Any wonder the marriage ended in divorce? And he pined for his ex for the rest of his life (they're both gone now).

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting gdiamante:

rsmom2511
by Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Crap! No wonder my aunt Sioban is so grumpy! Lol.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting gdiamante:

rsmom2511
by Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Thinking I may need to convert! Lol.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

That's really interesting! I'm Jewish and sex is considered a mitzvah, necessary and integral for a happy healthy marriage. I could see where lack of intimacy could cause a divorce. Thank you for answering.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting gdiamante:

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Lol. I've heard of sex being for procreation only but I never had heard it applying to Catholics at all. I don't think any of the Catholics i know feel this way...and yes, it would make most people cranky lol

Quoting rsmom2511: Crap! No wonder my aunt Sioban is so grumpy! Lol.
Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting gdiamante:

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I've known about this for years but when I think about it, it just is another vivid reminder. Religions are created for and by men. Only an unmarried man would think that sex within a marriage was only for procreation. The type of person who isn't getting laid and resents that other people might.
I wish the church founders hadn't been so uptight and Victorian about women and sexuality but they were a product of their time. It was considered very rebellious to abstain from sex and marriage so the founders flocked to it like rock and roll and turned it into the mainstream.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN