Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

SPU hero in school shooting gets big wedding thanks

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2014 at 7:15 PM
KK
  • 9 Replies

SPU hero in school shooting gets big wedding thanks

Prepare for a lot of toasters and towels, Jon Meis.

After Meis tackled a gunman during Thursday’s deadly shooting at Seattle Pacific University, people around the country began to call him a hero.

They praised his bravery, in which he pepper-sprayed the suspect after three people were shot. They called out his selflessness. They described him as “wonderful,” “gentle” and “soft-spoken.”

Then Seattle Redditors found Meis’ wedding registry, and a whole new way of recognizing the quiet SPU student was born.

“This is the wedding registry for the man who subdued the SPU gunman,” wrote Serasha on Reddit, linking to a Crate & Barrel registry. ”You know what to do.”

And they did.

“It’s only a loaf pan, but it gave me the chance to say thank you,” someone wrote. ”This kid took a huge risk and saved the lives of who-knows-how-many other young people with so much potential and so much of life ahead of them. Here’s wishing all the best to him and his fiancee!!”

Someone else added: “My company just bought him a memory foam mattress pad with my company Visa.”

Meis had been doing a volunteer security shift at SPU’s Otto Miller Hall when a gunman burst into the building Thursday afternoon. He shot three students, one fatally, police said. When he apparently stopped to reload his gun, Meis  pepper-sprayed him and held him on the ground with the help of other students.

Update: Jessamyn McIntyre over at 710 ESPN started a GoFundMe page to help pay for a honeymoon for the couple. The goal was $5,000. It has already been met —and far surpassed.

A comment on the funding page from Abby Carson, a student who was reportedly on the second floor of the building taking a math test during the shooting, summed up the thoughts of many in the SPU community and beyond. “Thank you for saving my life and many others. It was your interception we were all praying for in those moments. You brought a sigh of relief to countless families. Forever a hero.”

Update 2: All items on the wedding registry have been purchased. Some multiple times.

Update 3: Manuel Valdes of the Associated Press is reporting that Seattle Pacific University alumnus Michael Hasegawa-Yun started a page on GiveForward.com to help pay funeral expenses for victim Paul Lee. It has also surpassed its goal. You can visit the page and donate to the victims by clicking here.

Follow seattlepi.com on Facebook and Twitter. Follow Vanessa Ho on Twitter and Google+ and email her at vanessaho@seattlepi.com.

Categories: Local News, News updates
by on Jun. 8, 2014 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AJsMom81507
by Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 7:26 PM

HOLY shit!!!!

$44K raised for the honeymoon and the goal was $5K

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 11:15 PM
Very sweet.
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 12:53 AM
Wow. That is awesome.
jllcali
by Jane on Jun. 9, 2014 at 2:02 AM
Awesome!
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jun. 9, 2014 at 2:34 AM

Good for him.  Nice to see that a hero doesnt need a gun to do what he did...subdued a man with a gun.

Curious.  Do victims have go fund me pages?  I would love to help the families of those poor kids that didnt make it.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jun. 9, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Jon Meis has released a statement today.  

I know that I am being hailed as a hero, and as many people have suggested I find this hard to accept. I am indeed a quiet and private individual; while I have imagined what it would be like to save a life I never believed I would be put in such a situation. It touches me truly and deeply to read online that parents are telling their children about me and telling them that real heroes do exist.

However, what I find most difficult about this situation is the devastating reality that a hero cannot come without tragedy. In the midst of this attention, we cannot ignore that a life was taken from us, ruthlessly and without justification or cause. Others were badly injured, and many more will carry this event with them the rest of their lives. Nonetheless, I would encourage that hate be met with love. When I came face to face with the attacker, God gave me the eyes to see that he was not a faceless monster, but a very sad and troubled young man. While I cannot at this time find it within me to forgive his crime, I truly desire that he will find the grace of God and the forgiveness of our community.

I would like to truly thank the responders who secured the building and the medical staff who looked after myself and those who were injured. After being in this situation myself, it is even harder to imagine what it would be like to have a job where one's life is willingly put on the line every day. To our police, emergency responders, and armed forces, you have my greatest respect.

I am overwhelmed with the incredible generosity that has been showered upon me. It has been deeply touching to read the comments online and realize that my actions have had such a strikingly widespread effect. Moving forward, I am strongly requesting that any future donations be given to the victims through Seattle Pacific University.

I am grateful for the prayers and support coming from our home city and afar. In these next few days, weeks, and months, please continue to pray for everyone in the Seattle Pacific community. We serve a truly awesome God and I firmly believe that it is through Him alone that we will find the strength to heal from this tragedy.

Jon Meis
Student, Seattle Pacific University

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jun. 9, 2014 at 2:58 PM

http://www.gofundme.com/SPUvictims

https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/prt4/spu-student-funeral

GoFundMe page for Sarah Williams: http://bit.ly/1mqtfUJ

Quoting turtle68:

Good for him.  Nice to see that a hero doesnt need a gun to do what he did...subdued a man with a gun.

Curious.  Do victims have go fund me pages?  I would love to help the families of those poor kids that didnt make it.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 3:58 PM
My friend had this on FB and it gave me goosebumps to know the word is still full of good guys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 9, 2014 at 4:37 PM

This is awesome!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)