Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Bergdahl- From an 11 year old's POV

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 12:30 PM
  • 31 Replies
2 moms liked this
We were eating breakfast at the hotel we stayed at, and my daughter says, "Oooh, that doesn't look good!" I turned to the TV, and it had the photos of the men Obama 'traded' for Bergdahl up on the screen.

Setting aside the fact that she automatically assumed they were bad just based on their appearances, which shocked me, I just explained the situation to her.

She was pissed, and went off on a rant about how irresponsible it was of our president to let these terrorist group men out of jail and put everybody in America in danger to just save ONE man.

Doing what I always do to help her explore other perspectives, I asked her, "Well, how would you feel if you were the man who was kept prisoner for 5 years? Would you want the president to make that decision to free you?"

She said, "Absolutely not. If it were me, I would not want people put in danger on account of me...not a whole country. I'd just tell the president, do what ya gotta do, buddy, to protect our people and country. You should NOT negotiate with terrorists!"

So, anywho...it was an interesting conversation from an 11 year old perspective. Lol

by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 12:35 PM
The people in the table close to us were listening, and the guy looked super amused and shocked at her emotional little rant. Lol

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 12:38 PM
6 moms liked this

An 11 year old's perspective after years of hearing her parents talk a certain way.  Her opinion didn't happen in a vacuum, she's a product of her environment, just as all children are

Did her view happen to correspond to your view?

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this
We do not, nor have we ever push our beliefs onto our kids. My daughter just happens to love politics, and is opinionated.

I don't have a view on the situation one way or another, really. I can see both sides of the situation, and think there was no 'right' solution. I'm sure our president did what he truly felt was best, and had his reasons.

Quoting snookyfritz:

An 11 year old's perspective after years of hearing her parents talk a certain way.  Her opinion didn't happen in a vacuum, she's a product of her environment, just as all children are

GLWerth
by Gina on Jun. 9, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Precisely. Kids pick up on way more than their parents think they do.

Quoting snookyfritz:

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:07 PM
She's 11...she has her own opinions about things.

Quoting GLWerth:

Precisely. Kids pick up on way more than their parents think they do.

Quoting snookyfritz:

TappyToes
by Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:14 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, an 11 year old is an expert and I'm certain she REALLY understands all the ramifications!!

confused

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I never trust 11 year olds because by 11, they have already been brainwashed. If you want the real truth, you've got to ask the 8 year olds.

Quoting TappyToes:

Well, an 11 year old is an expert and I'm certain she REALLY understands all the ramifications!!

confused

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:41 PM
Smh.

She's smarter than most adults I know. There's nothing wrong with engaging a kid in discussions concerning what's going on in their country, and listening to their perspective, and asking them to consider other perspectives. Of course she doesn't understand ALL the ramifications. I don't know anyone who truly does. Adults running our country can't even agree on issues affecting our country.

Quoting TappyToes:

confused

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sure you're joking, but brainwashed?? Lol.

Quoting shannonnigans: I never trust 11 year olds because by 11, they have already been brainwashed. If you want the real truth, you've got to ask the 8 year olds.

Quoting TappyToes:

confused

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:48 PM
Why would I joke about this?

Quoting Jack_Squat: I'm sure you're joking, but brainwashed?? Lol.

Quoting shannonnigans: I never trust 11 year olds because by 11, they have already been brainwashed. If you want the real truth, you've got to ask the 8 year olds.

Quoting TappyToes:

confused

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN