Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Oregon Attack is 74th School Shooting Since Newtown, Fourth Multiple Shooting in Six Days

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 5:12 PM
  • 110 Replies

At least one student was killed by a shooter at a high school near Portland, Oregon this morning. The suspected shooter is also dead, but few further details are yet available.

By the count of activist group Everytown for Gun Safety, the incident marks the 74th time since the Sandy Hook massacre in Newtown, Connecticut that "a firearm was discharged inside a school building or on school or campus grounds, as documented in publicly reported news accounts." (The count includes colleges and universities.) It's also—based on reports that a teacher was also targeted and grazed by gunfire during the incident—the fourth multiple shooting incident in America since last Thursday, following a shotgun attack at Seattle Pacific University, an armed assault on a Georgia courthouse, and the execution of two police officers and killing of a Walmart shopper in Las Vegas.

(source)

by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Maybe once we make it to 100, our kids will get some sort of prize for surviving.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jun. 10, 2014 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I guess we are numb to it now since it has become the American norm. :(
BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 5:23 PM
3 moms liked this

With 320 million and a bitterly divided country,thsat csaters to the 1% why is it not suprising? 

denise3680
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 5:39 PM

looks like they got the metal detectors and armed guards in the wrong schools:/

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jun. 10, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Light of the world, shine on me, love guns are the answer...

Mommabearbergh
by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 5:41 PM
And all the school shootings is the reason I will let my dd have a cell in middle school. The way things are its a sad reality that they. May need it to call 911
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 5:45 PM
4 moms liked this

England Dan and John Ford Coley! 

I have far too many brain cells dedicated to the preservation of useless knowledge. 

Quoting Sisteract:

Light of the world, shine on me, love guns are the answer...

leksismommy
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 5:51 PM
This country is getting crazy
angelaicky
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I know that guns are not the real problem, it goes deeper than that . But I also feel like its irresponsible to let a nation of kids run with scissors. Know what I mean...

GLWerth
by Gina on Jun. 10, 2014 at 6:04 PM
5 moms liked this

I think we're supposed to put it down to collateral damage.

After all, manchildren need their guns to feel manly and fearful people need theirs due to their fears.

If people have to die, so be it, we all pay the price for the aforementioned groups and they are happy for us to pay it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)