Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

psh mila kunis: with update to research

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:19 AM
  • 117 Replies
http://m.toofab.com/article_head.ftl?id=http://www.toofab.com/2014/06/11/mila-kunis-warns-future-fathers-jimmy-kimmel-live/

Have you guys seen this? And what do you think? I don't agree with her. And it irks me..

UPDATE: yes! I know it's a joke, I'm familiar with comedy and have to say I don't think she nailed it. Or better, that the writers didn't nail it.

And this has been great reading and learning. My personal conclusion is that some men experience pregnancy. No! He doesn't carry a baby, obviously. It takes a toll on men and women at varying degrees. What I'm interested in now is how do same sex couples with children feel? Would you or your partner say "we're pregnant?" My hypothesis is women partners might experience more pregnancy symptoms physically and emotionally or hormonal. What do you think?
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaJess9
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:21 AM
5 moms liked this
I was under the impression it was meant to be funny, not that she really feels that way.
k_dinapoli
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:23 AM
True it is definitely meant to be funny. Maybe I'm too sensitive but I almost hate it..and hope women don't feel this way

Quoting MamaJess9: I was under the impression it was meant to be funny, not that she really feels that way.
ashellbell
by shellbark on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:59 AM
10 moms liked this
**shrugs**

She's right
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:02 AM
24 moms liked this
I sort of agree. 'We' are not pregnant. She is, I was, the father has never been pregnant. We may be expecting, but we were not both pregnant.

What is so wrong about saying 'my wife/partner is pregnant, we are expecting a baby'?

We didn't have morning sickness all day long, we didn't get stretch marks, we weren't up several times a night peeing, we didn't feel contractions, we didn't push a tiny human out of our genitals, we didn't have another tiny human cut out of our abdomen. I did that.

I'm not downplaying the important role my husband played in my pregnancies, what a rock, what an anchor, what a bastion of support he was during pregnancy, labour, delivery, recovery, and his huge role as dad. But nor will I inflate his role, and not would he want me to.

'We' were no more pregnant than 'we' had a vasectomy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:29 AM
8 moms liked this
I didn't read the article, only the responses. If it's about her being against the saying "we are pregnant", I couldn't agree more. It's one of my pet peeves and those who say it sound ridiculous.
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I really feel this way, why wouldn't she?

Quoting MamaJess9: I was under the impression it was meant to be funny, not that she really feels that way.
MamaJess9
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Really? Did I say that it was impossible anyone felt this way, or that it was wrong to? Are you a bit defensive perhaps?

I just said I don't think it was meant to be serious, from the comments on a few articles I've seen about it, a lot of people thought it was.

Quoting Stephanie329: I really feel this way, why wouldn't she?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:49 AM
11 moms liked this

She's right.

Funny or not, she's right.

The man is not pregnant.  That whole 'we' thing is far more irritating than her rant.

surromama
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with it. I was pregnant, we were parents to be.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
k_dinapoli
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 3:51 AM
I appreciate your in depth response. I guess I didn't realize the angst of feeling one's thunder being stolen. That isn't what I sense in your post. I agree very much with your ideas. I feel I'm sympathizing with fathers or partners here that deserve the credit. For example, at delivery of our first nurses and doctors treated my DH like a sperm donor. Ugh frustrating, right! Because he was the only support I had through everything...well you know haha. Anyway I don't mind sharing and I don't like making it so negative but it's a joke to some extent, I jive. I'd say 'we' are having a vasectomy because... haha I kid I kid..

Quoting canadianmom1974: I sort of agree. 'We' are not pregnant. She is, I was, the father has never been pregnant. We may be expecting, but we were not both pregnant. What is so wrong about saying 'my wife/partner is pregnant, we are expecting a baby'? We didn't have morning sickness all day long, we didn't get stretch marks, we weren't up several times a night peeing, we didn't feel contractions, we didn't push a tiny human out of our genitals, we didn't have another tiny human cut out of our abdomen. I did that. I'm not downplaying the important role my husband played in my pregnancies, what a rock, what an anchor, what a bastion of support he was during pregnancy, labour, delivery, recovery, and his huge role as dad. But nor will I inflate his role, and not would he want me to.

'We' were no more pregnant than 'we' had a vasectomy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)