Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teen Violence: Racial Assaults a National Problem

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.local12.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/teen-violence-racial-assaults-national-problem-12868.shtml

Well, well well...look what the MSM finally wants to "talk about".

Imagine that.

Updated: Thursday, June 12 2014, 10:34 AM EDT CINCINNATI (Deb Dixon) -- Teen mobs at city events is not a Cincinnati thing, and it's been going on for years. Evidence of teen violence goes back to the Wisconsin State Fair in 2011, Philly, Chicago and spring 2014 in Louisville.

They all have in common the attacks are by black, teenaged boys and girls. And most of the victims are white.

The race factor is not something officials like to talk about. One UC criminology professor says that silence could be deadly. To some who called 911, the race factor was obvious. 11 victims filed reports saying they were kicked, punched or stomped by a group of black teenagers or young adults, boys and girls. Ten of the victims were white, one was Asian. Two reported racial slurs. Noelle Findlay was so certain the assault was racially motivated; the police report says hate crime.

At 12th and Clay, Noelle says about 15 teenagers stepped in front of the car her husband was driving, "Everyone swarmed the car; I was like, 'Go, go, go, get us out of here.'" Noelle's husband, Chad Findley, told Local 12 News, "I had my window down four or five inches, he punched me in the left side of the face, someone else was on my wife's side." He said, "They were laughing the whole time having a great time" Noelle Findley used to live in Over-The-Rhine. Her job was about helping mostly young black men find careers. She filed the police report as a hate crime because she believes there was no other motive. "I feel like it needs to be addressed, people need to speak out say something not sweep it under the rug," Noelle said.

Dr. John Wright, a criminal justice professor at UC, said, "I think it is racist behavior, racist behavior when you target a group based on their race, sexual orientation, it's the very nature of a hate crime." Dr. Wright has tracked what he considers mob behavior across the country over the last five years.

Most recently in Louisville a mob of teenagers terrorized downtown. They looted a store, vandalized cars and assaulted passersby. Most of the victims were white. Louisville officials say there is no evidence crimes were racially motivated. "We are unwilling to speak about race when it comes to crime because it is a sensitive matter," said Wright. "Allegations of racism ruins careers, ruin lives. The media remains silent or targets the people who bring up the issue." Cincinnati police and city leaders publicly condemn the violence. Law and public safety committee chairman, Chris Smitherman, said those responsible will be held accountable. In a statement to the Southern Poverty Law Center, a civil rights organization, Mayor John Cranley said nothing justifies, "hate speech or racial prejudice." Pastor Peterson Mingo of Evanston said, "Not too many ways to explain that behavior, have to condemn it, can't be tolerated." Pastor Peterson Mingo's community programs help young people become responsible, productive, respectful adults. Programs include "The Bulldogs," Evanston's football team, Boy Scout troop and a summer lawn care business.

Sociologists weighing in suggest high unemployment and resentment fueled by segregation are possible causes. Mingo says there is something else, "There is a thing about loyalty. You with me or you ain't. If you with me I'm getting ready to knock dude up side head lets go. It's not where you can say I'm not going to. You're either with me or you're not." Everyone agrees prosecuting those responsible will send a powerful message. Dr. Wright says there is more to do; it's simple, talk about it. Link to more of Dr. Wright's interview Follow Deborah Dixon on Twitter @crimestopperdeb and LIKE her on Facebook

by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Replies (51-57):
VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:15 PM

I see Dar's posts. And I also see the way she's responded to in turn.

I get it. I really do. All of her posts are about reverse racism, and that pisses people off. She's also quite uh....passionate in her writing.

We have a lot of colorful personalities here. Maybe Dar could take a step back and try to rephrase the points she's trying to make. Maybe other posters here could take a step back and try to understand her with a fresh mind instead of screaming "racist!" her way. Neither will happen, I'm sure. But it would be nice.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting VooDooB:

I don't see anything wrong with this question. We've been questioning why white youths keep shooting up their schools. No one has an issue with that.

Trouble is, everyone has an opinion but nobody has an answer.

My opinion: Anger. They're angry because their parents are angry and their grandparents are angry and generations before them were angry and they won't move past that anger. 

Quoting Radarma:

Why do you ignore the elephant on the sofa?

White (asian/latino) KIDS are NOT running in packs looking to attack innocent black people. What is going on with African American youth that is causing this behavior?

THAT is the specific question.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Radarma:

BACK TO TOPIC....WHY are black youth so ready to mob/attack/beat/kill nonblack people?

I don't have an answer to this question.

It begins at home?  Most things do but then there are those, regardless of color, who are who they are.  They are angry, they feel self entitled, they feel less than but act as if they are better than.  

We ask this question often, in regards to young black youth and young white youth.  Without knowing the individuals involved, and circumstances, we can only speculate.

There is nothing wrong with the question.  But Dar has a history of doing nothing more than being a bitch and attacking.  I certainly wasn't attacking in my reply but being honest.  I don't have the answer she seeks, although she seems to have all the answers.

I'm sure many are angry because that is all they have seen while growing up.  How do we change that?  I know I can't, you can't and neither can Dar.  We are not part of that dynamic or those families that carry it on and pass it on.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Quoting VooDooB:

I get it. I really do. All of her posts are about reverse racism, and that pisses people off. She's also quite uh....passionate in her writing.

We have a lot of colorful personalities here. Maybe Dar could take a step back and try to rephrase the points she's trying to make. Maybe other posters here could take a step back and try to understand her with a fresh mind instead of screaming "racist!" her way. Neither will happen, I'm sure. But it would be nice.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting VooDooB:

I don't see anything wrong with this question. We've been questioning why white youths keep shooting up their schools. No one has an issue with that.

My opinion: Anger. They're angry because their parents are angry and their grandparents are angry and generations before them were angry and they won't move past that anger. 

Quoting Radarma:

White (asian/latino) KIDS are NOT running in packs looking to attack innocent black people. What is going on with African American youth that is causing this behavior?

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Radarma:

BACK TO TOPIC....WHY are black youth so ready to mob/attack/beat/kill nonblack people?

It begins at home?  Most things do but then there are those, regardless of color, who are who they are.  They are angry, they feel self entitled, they feel less than but act as if they are better than.  

We ask this question often, in regards to young black youth and young white youth.  Without knowing the individuals involved, and circumstances, we can only speculate.

There is nothing wrong with the question.  But Dar has a history of doing nothing more than being a bitch and attacking.  I certainly wasn't attacking in my reply but being honest.  I don't have the answer she seeks, although she seems to have all the answers.

I'm sure many are angry because that is all they have seen while growing up.  How do we change that?  I know I can't, you can't and neither can Dar.  We are not part of that dynamic or those families that carry it on and pass it on.

I can agree with that.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:17 PM

**throws hands up**

OK.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Radarma:

HOW the hell is what I said to you "attacking"?

WOW.

This is CLEARLY a post about a specific racial demographic (just like when others talk about white kids shooting schools)...so WHY is it "attacking" to reference your inability to just come out with it and ADDRESS the TOPIC? Why must you babble about "oh there are problems in all families of all races??"

It was a cop out response, and I expect MORE thought from you and much less butthurtness. I have NOT "attacked" anyone, and sure I can be bitchy sometimes, so?

Let's not talk about ME ME MEEEEEE. ok? Ok.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Radarma:

Why do you have to attack every.single.time?

I certainly did not.  I was trying to have a conversation but you can't do that.

What elephant?   I answered your question, saying I can't answer it.  I do not know why these black kids are doing what they do, what some have always done.  I do not know them, how they were raised or anything else.

I can assume they were raised to be racist and therefore their actions are as such.  They may very well have been.  Many are.  Just as many white kids are raised that way.

I have no answer to give you but you seem to think you have all the answers.

My inability to address it?  I did.  I don't have what it is you want.  I don't have the answer to the questions you ask.  

You can't carry on a civil conversation unless the person says what you want and does as you desire.

You keep asking others what the answer is.  What is your answer?

I realize there are groups of black kids who are punks, setting out to cause harm and mayhem and everything else.  It seems obvious. The answer as to why or how to stop them...........I don't have those answers for the white kids who do the same, how would I have the answers for the black kids?

If someone is raised a certain way and no one else cares to take notice or step in, those in their lives, what the hell do you expect me to do?  Because I don't carry the answer means I do not care or find it alarming or otherwise?  Not true.

Your entire response here is typical.  That's a shame.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Oh let's play a word game! lol

How could this be rephrased in a more palatable way?

"There seems to be a lot of racial violence coming from black youth towards nonblack people, does anyone have any ideas why this is so?"

It's just too easy for people to shoot the messenger.

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Radarma:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Radarma:

**throws hands up**

OK.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Radarma:

WOW.

This is CLEARLY a post about a specific racial demographic (just like when others talk about white kids shooting schools)...so WHY is it "attacking" to reference your inability to just come out with it and ADDRESS the TOPIC? Why must you babble about "oh there are problems in all families of all races??"

It was a cop out response, and I expect MORE thought from you and much less butthurtness. I have NOT "attacked" anyone, and sure I can be bitchy sometimes, so?

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Radarma:

I certainly did not.  I was trying to have a conversation but you can't do that.

What elephant?   I answered your question, saying I can't answer it.  I do not know why these black kids are doing what they do, what some have always done.  I do not know them, how they were raised or anything else.

I can assume they were raised to be racist and therefore their actions are as such.  They may very well have been.  Many are.  Just as many white kids are raised that way.

My inability to address it?  I did.  I don't have what it is you want.  I don't have the answer to the questions you ask.  

You can't carry on a civil conversation unless the person says what you want and does as you desire.

I realize there are groups of black kids who are punks, setting out to cause harm and mayhem and everything else.  It seems obvious. The answer as to why or how to stop them...........I don't have those answers for the white kids who do the same, how would I have the answers for the black kids?

If someone is raised a certain way and no one else cares to take notice or step in, those in their lives, what the hell do you expect me to do?  Because I don't carry the answer means I do not care or find it alarming or otherwise?  Not true.

Why is it so hard for you to comprehend that not every one has the answers?

I can't make the parents, the grandparents, whomever, raise their children in a manner that is more productive.  Any more than I can make my neighbor raise their little one to be polite and not walk around peeing on everything. 

What is the answer, in  your opinion?

I get that it happens.  I get that there are black people who are racist.  I know this to be true.  My 14 year old daughter knows this to be true.  What is it you think I am missing or that I am not doing to correct this?

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

See now that might have been a little better received then the "well well well" on your OP. :)

Quoting Radarma:

Oh let's play a word game! lol

How could this be rephrased in a more palatable way?"There seems to be a lot of racial violence coming from black youth towards nonblack people, does anyone have any ideas why this is so?"It's just too easy for people to shoot the messenger.

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Radarma:

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Most reverse racism is swept under the rug, excused, or ignored. People don't want to touch it for a number of reasons. Most people on this board won't touch it and that frusterates Dar.

There.

My work is done.

VDB for president.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Radarma:

**throws hands up**

OK.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Radarma:

WOW.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Radarma:

Why is it so hard for you to comprehend that not every one has the answers?

I can't make the parents, the grandparents, whomever, raise their children in a manner that is more productive.  Any more than I can make my neighbor raise their little one to be polite and not walk around peeing on everything. 

What is the answer, in  your opinion?

I get that it happens.  I get that there are black people who are racist.  I know this to be true.  My 14 year old daughter knows this to be true.  What is it you think I am missing or that I am not doing to correct this?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN