Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Food prices go up and now so is cattle rustling.

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 11:13 AM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

It was in the paper today but I can't find it online for some reason. Anyway, the increase isn't significant but there is an increase in thefts. We even had an amusing criminal case in which a guy shot a cow for food, couldn't figure out how to carry it off or butcher it so tried to bury it (drugs may have been involved). Anyway, thought that was interesting. That's what I usually say when people suggest getting rid of FS, people will start stealing. Hungry people steal.

by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 11:19 AM

I've heard people in this area talk about animals being stolen. Mainly pigs. 

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 11:26 AM

We are in the same state, different areas. So interesting that it's pigs there. We have cows here mostly.    

Can you imagine stealing a pig, they're LOUD. I can't imagine you can just lift one up and run.

Quoting smalltowngal:

I've heard people in this area talk about animals being stolen. Mainly pigs. 

momtimesx4
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Well, it is BBQ season....people do love a good steak,

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 12:01 PM

It has been happening for a few years really since prices have increased and jobs have decreased.  Horses have also been rustled, killed, and sold for meat more then ever before(in the US). 

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Horses have been sold to slaughter plants for awhile here. I can't imagine eating them though. I tried it once, they're super tough. Not worth it! Steal a cow. lol

Quoting babyspots17:

It has been happening for a few years really since prices have increased and jobs have decreased.  Horses have also been rustled, killed, and sold for meat more then ever before(in the US). 

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Steal one every six months and you save hundreds of dollars, steal a cow and now you have dairy and meat.  Steal a cow AND a bull....and you have set up your future meat and dairy farm.

Its always been big business here and where I grew up.  Here I am noticing a lot more farms with steel fencing and they are starting to brand calves even if they are being killed for veal.

P.S....its easy to keep a pig quite, just keep feeding it on your way to the trailer LOL.

skrbelly
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 6:43 PM
The price of beef is up significantly, 20% since January
stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 13, 2014 at 8:08 PM

I expected that but also I expect a lot more mini farms. 

JanineDeer
by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

hahahah last summer,  a pot-bellied pig showed up in our yard.... at first, I was cautious... at first glance because feral pigs are becoming more common and pigs in general, even the domestic ones, can be very very viscious. 

But when I saw it was  a pot-belly, I thought ooo boy, someone very nearby lost their pet pig.... And it crossed my mind.. ummmm if can't find the owner quickly- I just might have myself some pork for the freezer.

But it was someone on my very block-  I never knew they had a pet pig! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)