Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Vandalism as a protest?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:40 AM
  • 28 Replies
1 mom liked this

How do you feel about people vandalizing private property in order to protest something?

For instance, the homeless spikes put out on sidewalks to hinder the homeless from staying there.

The way I see it is if you want to protest and be an activist then you need to do something more than just vandalize someones property.  Get out and help the homeless directly but leave other peoples property alone.

by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommabearbergh
by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Protesting is about making a statement and a lot of those times those protesters are helping the homeless
atlmom2
by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Vandalism is wrong no matter what. 

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:47 AM

It's such a complex topic and I truely understand both POV, but at the end of the day, it's private property.

Bird_on_a_wire
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:52 AM

They can help the homeless in other ways.  Right now they are hurting a priate business owner.  Two wrongs don't make a right.

Quoting Mommabearbergh: Protesting is about making a statement and a lot of those times those protesters are helping the homeless

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

In today's world it seems it is how to get the attention of those who you want.

Mommabearbergh
by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this
It gets the attention. That private business wasn't hurt it sells high end clothes. They put something down to intentionally be mean I am sorry I have no sympathy for them

Quoting Bird_on_a_wire:

They can help the homeless in other ways.  Right now they are hurting a priate business owner.  Two wrongs don't make a right.

Quoting Mommabearbergh: Protesting is about making a statement and a lot of those times those protesters are helping the homeless

atlmom2
by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Lets be real.  Who goes in a high end clothing store with homeless outside???  Maybe the homeless should put as much into getting off the streets as they are vandalizing them.  Or helping the homeless at a shelter or somewhere.  Vandalism is wrong.

Quoting Mommabearbergh: It gets the attention. That private business wasn't hurt it sells high end clothes. They put something down to intentionally be mean I am sorry I have no sympathy for them
Quoting Bird_on_a_wire:

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Of course it is.  I am happy to see someone doing something about this issue.  

Bird_on_a_wire
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this
It is bad for business to have vagrants loitering outside.

Quoting Mommabearbergh: It gets the attention. That private business wasn't hurt it sells high end clothes. They put something down to intentionally be mean I am sorry I have no sympathy for them

Quoting Bird_on_a_wire:

nelopyma
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 5:46 PM

I generally disagree with vandalism.  However, if a person is willing to accept the consequences of their actions to make the point, then so be it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)