Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Oklahoma ditches common core, federal government says no. Total states rights violation!

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:40 PM
  • 18 Replies

BREAKING: Feds Threaten the Entire State of Oklahoma

When Oklahoma asserted its Tenth Amendment rights by signing legislation making it the third state to ditch Common Core education standards, it was only a matter of time before the federal government pushed back.

Common Core standards are an attempt by the Obama administration to push further into the education system and eventually create a nationalized curriculum designed to transform children into wards of the state.

Many states have recognized the danger these standards pose both to freedom and the quality of the education their children receive and have began creating legislation that allows them to come up with their own standards.

Indiana was the first state to give Common Core the boot, followed by South Carolina, and then Oklahoma.

Now U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan has unleashed a veiled threat of punishment against the state during a press briefing delivered earlier this week.

via Daily Caller:

In a press briefing at the White House on Monday, though, U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan struck back by vaguely suggesting that the federal government may now punish Oklahoma.

Duncan asserted that “40 percent of high school graduates” in Oklahoma “have to take remedial classes when they go to college” and only “25 percent of Oklahoma’s eighth-graders in math are proficient.”

The Obama administration education chief declared that the Common Core Standards Initiative is a panacea for this problem.

“We got a dropout problem we got to deal with,” Duncan said. “We want to make sure our high school graduates aren’t having to take remedial classes, burn up Pell grants, burn up student loans taking non-credit bearing. And right now, roughly 40 percent of those graduates in Oklahoma are having to do that. We don’t think that’s good for those young people, their families, or for the country.”

Duncan had ominous words for states that buck the Common Core trend.

“We partner with states whether they’re in Common Core or have their own high standards. But where we will challenge status quo is when states dummy down standards,” he warned.

It’s obvious that the federal government is licking its wounds at not being able to bully states into accepting their liberal education standards. The truth of the matter is that as long as Oklahoma stands its ground, there is little the White House can do.

The government needs to be reminded that it’s power is derived from the people, and the people have the constitutional right to take that power back, as they did so in this particular case. More states need to get on board in the fight against Common Core and send a strong message that states will not be bullied by the federal government.

by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this
This seems like an alarmist overreaction to a valid statement.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bird_on_a_wire
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:58 PM

I don't have a child in school yet.  But from what I have seen of the common core standards they ae dumbing everything down and creating a brainwashing program instead of teaching our children the facts.  

Quoting canadianmom1974: This seems like an alarmist overreaction to a valid statement.

mcginnisc
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Common Core is a set of STANDARDS...not curriculum. The standards are innocuous as all they state is what children should know before passing a grade. That is all CC does. In other words, it says when a child is advancing from K to first, they need to know how to count from 1-100( not the actual standards,just an example of something that they want a child to know). How is this a bad thing?

Quoting Bird_on_a_wire:

I don't have a child in school yet.  But from what I have seen of the common core standards they ae dumbing everything down and creating a brainwashing program instead of teaching our children the facts.  

Quoting canadianmom1974: This seems like an alarmist overreaction to a valid statement.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:04 PM
2 moms liked this
The education in Oklahoma already sucks.
Bird_on_a_wire
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Here is a great discussion article on the problems with common core

http://www.rethinkingschools.org/archive/28_02/28_02_karp.shtml

Quoting mcginnisc: Common Core is a set of STANDARDS...not curriculum. The standards are innocuous as all they state is what children should know before passing a grade. That is all CC does. In other words, it says when a child is advancing from K to first, they need to know how to count from 1-100( not the actual standards,just an example of something that they want a child to know). How is this a bad thing?
Quoting Bird_on_a_wire:

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:15 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't actually understand why people have an issue with these standards.  

The standards are:

1. Research and evidence based
  2. Clear, understandable, and consistent
  3. Aligned with college and career expectations
  4. Based on rigorous content and the application of knowledge through higher-order thinking skills
  5. Built upon the strengths and lessons of current state standards
  6. Informed by other top-performing countries to prepare all students for success in our global economy and society
ashellbell
by shellbark on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:16 PM
Pretty much all those reasons are why they're against it. :-/

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

The standards are:

4. Based on rigorous content and the application of knowledge through higher-order thinking skills
  6. Informed by other top-performing countries to prepare all students for success in our global economy and society
Bird_on_a_wire
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:21 PM

having seen some of the work and also talking to friends of mine who are teachers the common core standards, while good in theory, do not end up that way in practice.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

The standards are:

okpondlady
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't necessarily think Common Core is the answer to Oklahoma's education problem. I know Oklahoma needs guidance and standards better than they currently have in the Education Department.  We do have a HUGE drop out rate.  We have a huge illiteracy rate.  We have a sub-standard graduation rate.  We also have the highest poverty rate in America.  Hungry people don't worry about if they can read.  People who are ill and can't get medical care do not worry if their children are in school.    Oklahoma's "system" for education, health care, welfare, politics, and many other issues is BROKEN.   AND our current administration (Mainly STATE administration) isn't going to help us, in any way.   The State Legislature just funnelled 7.9 million dollars out of our low-middle income students scholarship fund and put it in the "general fund" for other appropriations.   My mother laughed at me cause I burned up the Legislature's switchboard.  My questions to them was simply this:  What did they need the 7.9 million dollars for?  And whatever that is.... why is it more important than my Daughter's Education?   Believe me they didn't have an answer.  The Governor's office denied knowing anything about it and I know for a fact they are supposed to be investigating it.  That one action alone is illegal and against our State Constitution.   It shows how much Oklahoma's Legislature values low-middle income children's education.  NOT ONE BIT. 
Sorry this just gets me going... I am FROM Oklahoma.  I am a product of their education system.  If it wasn't for educating MYSELF, I would be borderline illiterate also.  Well that and knowing how to use spell check  :)

TANSTAAFL- There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Mary Fallin is an effing idiot. Her and Sally Kern make me want to gouge my eyeballs out. I'm also a product of the Oklahoma educational system, the year I graduated, my school had one of the highest pregnancy and dropout rates in the nation. It wasn't until I moved up north and attended college that I realized how I got screwed out of a decent education.

Quoting okpondlady:

I don't necessarily think Common Core is the answer to Oklahoma's education problem. I know Oklahoma needs guidance and standards better than they currently have in the Education Department.  We do have a HUGE drop out rate.  We have a huge illiteracy rate.  We have a sub-standard graduation rate.  We also have the highest poverty rate in America.  Hungry people don't worry about if they can read.  People who are ill and can't get medical care do not worry if their children are in school.    Oklahoma's "system" for education, health care, welfare, politics, and many other issues is BROKEN.   AND our current administration (Mainly STATE administration) isn't going to help us, in any way.   The State Legislature just funnelled 7.9 million dollars out of our low-middle income students scholarship fund and put it in the "general fund" for other appropriations.   My mother laughed at me cause I burned up the Legislature's switchboard.  My questions to them was simply this:  What did they need the 7.9 million dollars for?  And whatever that is.... why is it more important than my Daughter's Education?   Believe me they didn't have an answer.  The Governor's office denied knowing anything about it and I know for a fact they are supposed to be investigating it.  That one action alone is illegal and against our State Constitution.   It shows how much Oklahoma's Legislature values low-middle income children's education.  NOT ONE BIT.  Sorry this just gets me going... I am FROM Oklahoma.  I am a product of their education system.  If it wasn't for educating MYSELF, I would be borderline illiterate also.  Well that and knowing how to use spell check  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN