Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Cops Severely Beat 70-Year-old Man During a Diabetic Attack Because They Thought He Was Drunk

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 5:44 PM
  • 13 Replies

When dealing with police, the average person is always guilty until proven innocent.  Apparently this rule even applies to senior citizens who are experiencing medical emergencies.

On January 4th of this year in San Antonio a 70-year old diabetic was brutally assaulted by police at a traffic stop because they had suspected him of being drunk.  However, the man was not drunk, but was actually feeling ill and experiencing a diabetic attack.

70 year old Thomas Mathieu was spotted by police while he was stopped in a turn lane, and they immediately thought the worst.

When they approached the vehicle, Thomas was not speaking coherently and seemed very tired, but according to witnesses was showing textbook symptoms of a diabetic experiencing blood pressure issues.

The police unfortunately waited to check whether or not the man was a diabetic, until after they thoroughly stomped him into the ground, causing injuries to his face, head, arms, and torso.  Thomas also had three of his ribs broken in the scuffle.

He said the last thing that he could remember was pulling over to the side of the road because he felt that his blood sugar level was getting low.

Mathieu said that, “I don’t know what happened from there on, I woke up with my face in the ground.”
I know officers are trained how to deal with diabetic situations but apparently there was no recognition of that situation here,” he added.

The story has actually received some local media coverage, because a member of this mans family is a local reporter for “News 4 San Antonio“.

The officers claim that they were merely trying to get the poor man out of the drivers seat, however, the dash cam footage shows that Mathieu posed no threat to other drovers.  The footage showed that as soon as police did not receive immediate obedience from Mr. Mathieu, they became hostile and aggressive to the point of a blind a rage.

After dragging the poor man off camera, one officer can be heard saying “Why were you sleeping behind the wheel, sir? And when we asked you to get out you didn’t get out. Why?”

An internal investigation determined that excessive force was not used by the officers and they were cleared of any charges.

Read more at http://thefreethoughtproject.com/police-beat-diabet-dash-cam-medical-emergency/#wHQIog2d52w8ULOx.99

Link to video  V  V

by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
friendlymom5
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 6:06 PM
Sick
SallyMJ
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 6:08 PM

I bet that helped!

They say severely beating diabetics beats their blood sugar down into submission.

And beating a drunk beats the alcohol right out of their system.

Bird_on_a_wire
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 6:11 PM

And we wonder why the police force gets a bad name.  

jack90
by New Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 6:24 PM

wow this is sad :***(

Mommabearbergh
by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Of course a internal investigation determined  no excessive force thats how they work. That is just sad.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jun. 14, 2014 at 8:14 PM

how friggin violent is a "sleeping" man, even if not immediately compliant he still did NOT POSE a violent threat.

fuckwits.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 8:15 PM

this just keeps happening. Don't these assholes get any training in this kind of thing?

atlmom2
by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Are cops mind readers.  I saw an attack before and it looked as if the person was drunk as hell.  I would want more info on this. 

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 9:08 PM
Internal "investigation" notwithstanding, he can still file a civil suit and make it cost them dearly. I'm assuming that is coming and that they are not letting this go - that would be the worst.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 9:10 PM
They don't have to read minds here... The camera footage doesn't lie - they had a 70 year old man who clearly posed no danger. Give me a break.

Quoting atlmom2:

Are cops mind readers.  I saw an attack before and it looked as if the person was drunk as hell.  I would want more info on this. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN